Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The BEST tank is...?

Creator: zyeboix May 30, 2012 2:21pm
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2012 10:51am | Report
I think Nautilis, Teemo, and Riven are great at bieng tanks
TheOchremancer
<Member>
TheOchremancer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 5:43pm | Report
Amumu. 2.5 second AoE stun. Press R win teamfight. Rinse and repeat.
Thanks to Miss Maw for the epic signature!
Shadow17
<Member>
Shadow17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 6:39pm | Report
Amumu and Nautilus are really tanky and fun ^_^ Plus, they deal an insane amount of damage :D
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 6:43pm | Report
Walls are champions that are hard to kill and protect carries.
Tanks absorb damage. Since tanks absorb damage, champions have to actually attack them in order to absorb that damage. Otherwise, they'd just be walls and walls are just there to protect carries and disrupt the enemy team.

Therefore, there are only 3 true tanks: Galio, Shen and Rammus. They have taunts meaning they FORCE you to attack them, "absorbing damage". Shen is the best tank.

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs! im a zombie
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 6:56pm | Report
Most tanks in this game indirectly force you to attack them because they have some kind of threat that, when disposed of, make it easier for your team to win a fight.

Take tank Nasus: Infinite damage with Q, and tons of % based damage, makes your AD useless with Wither, and reduces armor for his own AD carry to slap you harder. Taking him first would generally make it safer for your team to fight. Focusing him for that reason is essentially a free 'taunt' that comes from just him being there.

Manual taunts are good, because they are easier to use, but not having a taunt doesn't mean you aren't a True tank.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Deluth
<Member>
Deluth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 7:22pm | Report
Building Tankyness =/= Tank. Tank implies supporting your team through threat of cc rather than actual damage. To do this, tanks often need to have strong cc for initiation and peeling. Offtanks/brusiers are the ones that are focused due to threat of damage ( Olaf, Renekton, Nasus, Dr. Mundo, etc.). Nasus is more of an offtank/brusier, since he brings no hard cc and is focused due to threat of damage.

To answer the OP, i think Nautilus and Alistar are both popular and powerful tanks. They both have defensive steroids so they don't need loads of gold for tank items, and they both have the strongest cc in the game: movement displacement. They can also initiate/peel with their secondary cc. Another benefit is that they are strong for the entire game since they bring so much ganking pressure early as junglers.

Galio and Shen deserve a mention, but tbh after ult galio doesn't bring much cc and is more of a tanky AP. Shen doesn't bring much damage anymore in top lane and can be counterpicked by a hypercarry ( Jax is most popular, Nasus, Riven work too i suppose), who will eventually be able to outscale and outrade him hard after they get farmed up. Putting a tank in a solo lane isn't a great idea since tank items have the least number of scaling multipliers.
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 8:57pm | Report
Sleeper OP jungle tank Shaco.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 9:07pm | Report
^2 tanks for 1?

OP.

Actually, your clone is so tanky people think he's real and they start trying to kill it O_o
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Berzerk
<Member>
Berzerk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 9:24pm | Report
Id say Shen or Galio. Both have AoE taunts meaning they can pull the enemy team off their carrys. Shen can shield into a fight from a splitpush position, and Galio's initiation abilities are one of the best in the game.

Check out my complete guide to top lane here.
Check out my Jayce guide here.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 9:27pm | Report
You're all forgetting that Teemo, Tryndamere and Taric all are the best tanks due to their ulta-taunts. Duuuuuh.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide