Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

What got you hooked on League?

Creator: Kadius December 10, 2014 5:15am
1 2 3 4
Kadius
<Member>
Kadius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 5:15am | Report
Now i'm not asking for answers like:
"My friends"
"Saw it on a website"
etc. I'm asking for a Genuine
"Well when I first started playing gameplay felt really smooth and the map was very nice to look at and I remember hitting that Enchanted Crystal Arrow for the first time and being sooo happy and I decided to keep playing and main Ashe." Answer. I think this is quite a general post that everyone can answer and use and would be really interesting to hear all of these long time league players give their stories :D

Few rules:
Do restrain from using profanity
Don't make others feel stupid about how they came into League
and don't lie

When I saw What got you hooked on League I mean what in the game made you want to keep playing and hook you onto it not what introduced you to it, but you an share both if you so desire!

Alright that'll be all from me for now, If this gets big I'll edit the Op and make it flashy etc. but for now this'll do.
Mk, ready set GOOOOOOOOO.
Like my post? Be sure to toss me a +Rep!

Credits to Amanda for making this... yeah, you're not having happy dreams tonight.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 5:36am | Report
So first I will answer the question you didn't ask:
My brother showed me this game back when I still played WoW (like 5 years ago or something). I was bored with WoW, this thing was free, so I was like why the f not.

Now the question that you did ask:
I kept playing league because I found some characters pretty cool, the "brain dude" in particular. Lol jk, the real reason why I kept playing is because every day I felt like I learned something new about it. I started to understand certain champions, items, masteries and ****. Just the satisfaction of exploration is what kept me going. I still keep playing for similar reasons, also because pretty much everyone I know plays League now.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: My valentine; jamespongebob <3
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Kadius
<Member>
Kadius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 5:49am | Report
I guess I should pitch in...

I found League through My friends who played dota with me and said "Hey this great little moba has just sprung up Called League of Legends and It's like dota etc." and I was like meh sure why not and joined up. I hated it so much and never played it again for aaaaages. I was planning on going back to it after a while but then dota 2 got announced and I was like ZOMG ZOMG OIHF{)HXWE)CXJWE{)FCHDE{)PJHD{E)ODJN{)EPOFJWE0cdJ[wehdwe[0cwerpfchr[8cher0[cher[fhcsdohcschsd AMAZEBALLSLLLLLSLLSLLSLLSLS! So yeah after I ahd played dota 2 for AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES and had gotten a bit meh towards it I decided to give League a try again and here I am today!

What really got me hooked on League Is also the thing that makes me dispise it today, the character unlock system. On Dota, instant access to 150-is dudes off the get go but In league you have to pay to get them because good luck buying them all. But I also felt a massive sense of progression every time I'd click that purchase button on a new chamion. And it was this "ONE STEP CLOSER" feel that actually impacted my gameplay that I really enjoyed. See most progression systems are out of teh game and to a side, in League though getting champs is a massive boost to your game, and can change the way you play. So I just have become obsessed now with buying them all but am going to save up after this for a standard rune page that most people run. Then just buy champs with the occasional rune. so that's my reason for palying League... gotta collect em all...
Like my post? Be sure to toss me a +Rep!

Credits to Amanda for making this... yeah, you're not having happy dreams tonight.
lanilwow
<Member>
lanilwow's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 6:33am | Report
I've only been playing LoL for about a month. I never intended to play for long, or get hooked on a PVP game. I don't like fast twitch games. I avoid them like the plague!

I'm a business guy. I run a manufacturing facility for my day job and business stuff fascinates me. This fall I had read an article about the top 10 game companies as ranked by revenue generation based on micro transactions. I was blown away with the fact that you could generate 1 Billion Dollars in revenue in only four years of business. I am not at a Billion Dollars but I have customers that are. We, as manufacturers, take time to grow to the Billion mark. I could not do it in four years. I have to build plants, buy equipment, hire and train people. To accomplish that in 10 years would be amazing! For example, right now I have a piece of equipment on order. It has an 18 week delivery time. No way we could grow at that rate! It would take years to purchase and install all the equipment!

Out of curiosity I loaded up LoL one weekend. I expected to look around for a bit, play a few games and have it off my computer by Monday... Now look, here I am posting on Mobafire... I've already asked for help on the noob section. I have nerfplz bookmarked. I have a nice stable of champions, some with upgraded skins.

What hooked me? The simple game play with the deep strategy where every game is different! Even if you were to put the same 10 champions, with the same 10 people on the field, the game would play different! The challenge of learning enough champions to not get locked out of ones you can play is a hook. Having to learn what all the other champion's abilities is a challenge that keeps me web searching and playing.

I find that I really like supporting a great ADC. Trying to maximize my assist count, and have 0 deaths for me and my ADC, those goals keeping me playing =)

They have done that simple little thing of making an easy to learn game that is challenging to master.

Well Played LoL, well played!

tl;dnr

The constantly evolving game play, requiring constant strategy adjustment, where no two games are ever the same!
xAhri
<Member>
xAhri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 7:40am | Report
Well, if you can take a wild guess (My name, I changed it in Lol now though) I got into LoL because of Ahri. I remember when I first saw Ahri (About 4 months ago) and I said, "Man, that character looks cool, what game is she from?" When I looked her up, I found out she was from LoL. I played LoL once back in 2010, and she was not out so I stopped playing (I only really played 3 games or so, with my friends who are gold :/) Then about 4 months ago I hopped back on and bought Ahri. She was the only champ I played with for about 2 months and I got very good at her for being such a low level. I don't play her as much anymore because I have found some new champ I like playing (Nasus, Godyr, Irelia, Diana) And I enjoy playing Top a lot more then mid. But, because of the new Dauntless Ahri skin coming out for Season 5, I'm going to have to pick her back up and show people that Ahri can be played top. Kappa.

Add me in Lol, (Rukt) I'm level 30 unranked but I'm just waiting before I hop into ranked so I don't fall in elo hell.

Ahri is Best girl.
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 8:27am | Report
Watching some then friends playing it at a LAN cafe and loved the idea behind it ^^
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
Savlonic
<Member>
Savlonic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 8:51am | Report
I was playing Blacklight Retribution with a friend, but I've always despised first person shooters with such a passion I couldn't keep it up, we tried Planetside 2 as well but his computer couldn't handle it so we were in a ditch in terms of what we could do that both of us could be involved in. I recall a few months back some other guys I played with tried to get me into league of legends and at the time I was playing WoW and had no interest in another game. This time around trying League went much better, went through leveling playing mainly Cho'Gath early on after several rough attempts of playing Veigar. The satisfaction of eating your enemies was fantastic, and eventually went on to buy Gentleman because it's just too good. Coincidentally had some other friends that had been playing it before us as well so we almost always had/have a full 5 man party often, and made the experience much better.

What kept me playing is my competitive nature really. Before I was doing "Semi" hard core raiding in WoW, but after we only managed to do one heroic while it was relevant in Siege of Org, I gave up on the team and out of sheer boredom, and lack of enthusiasm for WoD went ahead and quit for League.
Sig by TheNameless ^ Check out my Nasus guide ^
Hatted
<Member>
Hatted's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 9:09am | Report
I originally played it because a friend told me to and I gave into peer pressure. That being said Jax was fun, but hearing, seeing, and eventually using Nautilus made me love it. I've said it a number of times, but good god, I would marry Nautilus. He makes me feel like a real woman. <3
Eyy
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 1:38pm | Report
Friends (because this was in like S2).
DOTA 2 I could never get working and Smite I kept getting lost whenever I played it.
So that's why.

Basically MOBAFire.
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2014 3:12pm | Report
I was a cow and whenever I pressed Q I shot people in the air. Yeah.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide