Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Base Runes vs. Leveling Runes

Creator: Soulzityr December 11, 2011 2:46pm
1 2
Soulzityr
<Member>
Soulzityr's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2011 2:46pm | Report
Hi, I am level 23, on and off player of LoL who recently started playing a lot more, and I finally found a hero I really connect with in Swain.

Being level 23, I started buying runes, but I bought AP leveling runes instead of the base AP boost runes. Now, I know the static base runes are more for early game, etc. that much is common sense, but is it enough of an impact? My question is general but also possibly more directed for Swain, which is better for what type of focus? Are those static boosts negligible after the initial 15-20 minutes of the game, or are they still worth it? For many champs, how do you decide which to take?
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2011 3:07pm | Report
depends on playstyle

omagma
<Member>
omagma's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2011 3:13pm | Report
You only want to get AP runes for early game damage, but since Swain have really poor early game damage and gets better later, i suggest you buy Magic penetration instead, they scale well in both early and late game
Thanks to me and Elleeeeeka (love that name) for my sigs.
If i made a helpful comment on your guide/build, then hit that +rep button. or don't, its not like i care.
ALL HAIL QUEEN CHRYSALIS!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2011 3:21pm | Report
AP/level runes are better than flat anyway, so np.

I suggest you read Searz' rune guide, it covers pretty much everything you need to know about runes.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 12, 2011 12:19pm | Report
omagma wrote:

You only want to get AP runes for early game damage, but since Swain have really poor early game damage and gets better later, i suggest you buy Magic penetration instead, they scale well in both early and late game

If you still want AP runes, get the flat ones
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 12, 2011 6:52pm | Report
AP Base = More AP at the get go * For more aggressive players *

Ap Per level = More AP end game.

Around level 8 or so ingame the per level ones are better , but keep in mind if you can't sustain your lane and lose your lane you will be hurting yourself in the long run with per level runes as you will be behind.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 12, 2011 7:01pm | Report
ap/level are A LOT better than flat. They pass them at level 6 which is crazily early

However this does not go for all runes, only a select few.

Generally, you just have to consider when you're gonna need the boost. For a carry, you'd take /level MR over flat MR, because you'll be laning against another carry, not an AP, and you won't see much magic damage til later in the game, unless they have a MD based jungler :P
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2011 1:51am | Report
The difference between the two I see is that some people are under the impression that early game entirely determines the outcome of the game overall. This is true depending on your playstyle and the reaction of your enemies to it.

If you are aggressive but the enemies play defensive, this can lead to you being extremely out of place and ganked (unless you are bot 2v2 where it is much easier to zone out your enemies and still refrain from getting uber ganked).

I personally think the beginning of a game determines the outcome in only very few circumstances. The main one being your Support has managed to get your main Carry fed and the enemies have no direct counter to that champion.

Some runes are better either way (AP/lvl > Flat AP), but in most cases per level is better. It also depends on your role and plans. For a jungler, maybe you want to go with flat armor or flat hp to help your early game. Those runes will make almost a 5% difference mid-late game at best, but they might allow you to be ready for a much needed gank sooner.

Small choices like this and how you may or may not capitalize on them determine the outcome of the game. I have seen far to many games come back from near loss too many times to be entirely reliant on early game, although it does help... a lot!
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Pwnzor1130's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 10:53pm | Report
The rule of thumb for flat vs scaling is that scaling is better if it overtakes flat at around levels 4-7 (such as Mp5, AP/lvl, and HP/lvl seals). It's typically not worth getting them or mixing them (such as with MR) if it takes too long for them to overtake their flat counterparts.

Thanks to The Nameless Bard and Vavena for the sigs!
GoliathGTX
<Member>
GoliathGTX's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 27, 2011 1:55pm | Report
Personally, I think flat AP is better since IMO you need every little AP you can get for your early game while in the mid-late game, the AP you get from rune just doesn't have that much of an impact since pretty much every item grants more AP than that. Of course this is for AP since it is easily obtainable. Other stats like MR needs more consideration for flat vs /level.

On the other hand, I think you should get magic penetration rune.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide