Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Having trouble as melee champs in general..

Creator: MushroomCranium April 26, 2011 9:39pm
MushroomCranium
<Member>
MushroomCranium's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2011 9:39pm | Report
As the tittle states, I always seem to do badly as melee champions. Ranged champions just seem more natural to me. There are a couple of melee champions I like, but it is mostly because they either have a reliable ranged attack, or they are very tanky.

When I play as a champion such as Trundle (a champion I really want to get into), I never feel like I can do anything to contribute to the team. I always get overwhelmed and murdered, despite my best efforts to not die.

Any suggestions for doing well as melee focused champion? I feel like I'm missing out on many experiences until I get the hang of beating things to death with a stick.
reapermech
<Member>
reapermech's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2011 10:11pm | Report
well this is common to see just play practice games to find a build that will help you a)kill their carry b)help you take towers c) just make you the enemy's nightmare d)or search on here to get a build to try
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2011 11:24pm | Report
You have to know when to go in, don't rush in the middle of the fight when your teammates aren't there and die instantly.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 27, 2011 2:56am | Report
1st of all. As melee physical champ i suggest getting T3 ArP runes ASAP.
It will feel more natural and more powerfull. I had some problems in melee champs (as well as my friend lately). After buying ArP Marks+Quits (quits can be exchanged for flat HP or movement speed) he started to show more competitive playstyle.

Apart from that (if you are still <20 lvl) you can focus a bit more on ArP items. A great overall item is Yomumu's blade. It works good on almost any melee champion. It also gives you a quite reliable escape mechanism too Try building this item straight after boots.

The most annoying thing in Melee champs is that you need quite a coordination in teamfights. While 1v1 is simple, you can get overwhelmed with information flying around as melee champ.

Ranged champs are easier since you have a distance to react, and you clearly see wtf is happening around you. As melee, you have to be 5x more focused on the thing. You might have a problem in accualy locating your champion from time to time (especialy if enemy team has champions that can toss you around (signed, Gragas, Janna etc.) Usefull tip for beginer can be taping "space" bar from time to time to center your screen on your champion (DO NOT LOCK the camera tho!)

you can try going defensive masteries too going 9/21/0 isnt somethign bad, and gives you a slight margin for mistakes that will happen. than you can try 15/15/0 and end up with either 21/9/0 or 21/0/9 for maximum damage efficiency.

Summoner skills. You can focus on survival. taking Ghost/Flash but i suggest taking Exhaust(mastered)/Flash in most cases. Both of those spells can be used offensivly and defensivly. You can have your personal ghost via Yomumu's blade so exhaust is a better choice imho.

Learn to lasthit... srsly... it is way harder to lasthit minions as melee champ. Try to lane with a caster/ranged so he can harras and let you get some minion kills early game too.

And my fav rule... ALWAYS BE KILLIN SOMETHING. You are not a tank that needs to be in spot innitiating teamfights. So dont stand doing nothing even if you smell a teamfight coming. Always be killing something, jungling, laneing, and go for teamfights when you see them accualy happening. There is nothing worse than undergeared melee champion. You will get your *** pwned very fast and you will be no threat without items (there are exeptions ofc). It is not a bad thing if you jump into the fight in the middle or to finish the job. Ofc it is best to go in when it is already started not only lasthit, but lets face it... standing in bush and waiting for teamfight to happen is the worst thing you can do.

Hope i was at any help :)
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2011 1:35am | Report
Or read DEWO's Yi guide. He basically just quoted it, haha.

I also find that defensive masteries help out a lot. I almost always run defensive masteries after recently realizing how amazingly useful it is.

And as already said, don't rush in first unless you are the tank. And always make sure you pay attention to the main guy that is trying to shut you down and have an ally counter them, if you can't seem to do so.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2011 8:58am | Report
Yi or Tryndamere one. Both are valid.

I would also like to know if i helped in any way or what problems did you get recently.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
koolkruse
<Member>
koolkruse's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 1:16pm | Report
You gota build high hp/ stats. The most annoying trundle I ever had to play was a trudle who rushed sheen/aegis, then finished sheen into tf, then got a warmogs, then a ga. Trundle can rob attack dmg, and ur at plus 35 or so anyways from aegis/tf, putting you at like 140. Not a lot on a melee. Except trundle steals more atk damage, and trin force makes ur attacks hit for 250%(since it adds 150%). All of a sudden, ur bites will hit for 300-400, but you still have very high survivability. Not 2 mention ur ulti. In this game, you just can't build glass cannon. Often, one very intelligent offensive item and full tank will get you the most kills/ best score, and will let u win team fights so u can then push for towers/nexus.
koolkruse
<Member>
koolkruse's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 1:20pm | Report
Also, try this build on pantheon sometime. Rush aegis/sheen/cd boots, get brutalizer, turn sheen into trin force, then ga/frozen mallet/ a high atk dmg item ( last whisper, blood thirster, infinity edge.) Don't rely on heartseeker for much more then minion farming. It's just not that practical to kill an enemy champ with, unless they are cc'd/ there are multiple targets to hit. Ur stun is really just an initiate tool.
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 4:52pm | Report
In short, tanky dps wins.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 12:49pm | Report
Yeah, that's quite true. However if you are going melee DPS glass cannon you should never ever ever ever even in your dreams initiate a teamfight. Wait until they have all focused on the initiator, walk in, go slashslash and walk out again before you get focused. Then clean up.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide