Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I can't play assassins

Creator: Daimyon July 19, 2016 9:32pm
Daimyon
<Member>
Daimyon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2016 9:32pm | Report
I'm not a new player, and have a significant amount of games under my belt, but as a support main, it becomes really hard to climb the ranks since you have to be nearly Godlike to carry a team as a support.

Anyways, I started playing other roles in an attempt to broaden my skill set so I can actually affect the outcome of a game, and I started with jungle. Now my first jungle pick was Volibear because I really like playing him, and so far I'm pretty awesome with him in the jungle. However, I like to be diverse, so I tried out a few assassins, because, as with support, I pick to counter my opponent, or fill a role my team doesn't have when possible. And this is where my problem lies.

I can't play assassins. Playing support for so long, and tanky champs like Volibear, I'm just too used to always being in the fight, looking for those openings and trying to control the flow of a fight. However, with assassins, it's all about picking the right moment to jump in the middle of a fight and pick off their ADC or a squishy. I feel like when I'm hiding in a bush, watching a fight, my team is just getting mad at me for not engaging with them. I have too much of a desire to be there in the lane when they are fighting, not hiding in a bush looking for an easy gank.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break this sort of phobia of ninja-style play?
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2016 7:03am | Report
As Shia LaBeouf says, "JUST DO IT". Like everything in life (and in League), if you keep waiting for the right moment to do something, you might not notice that it has passed by.

Also, keep in mind that although an assassin's job is to... well... assassinate people, they can do other things just as well, like peel, for instance (you peel by 360noscoping anyone trying to hit on your ADC).

What happens most of the time is that one team engages the other and the tanks form a wall you have to get by. Some assassins have means to cross that (like Zed or Rengar) and get straight to the carry, others have to get creative (by creative, I mean that you need to use Flash 90% of the time). Just to give you an example, I play Pantheon and when a teamfight breaks, two things can happen: I am with my team or I am splitpushing. If I am with my team and we/they engage, I just attack whoever my team is attacking and try to wait for the right moment to get to the carries (IF IT PRESENTS ITSELF, this is very important, because such a moment might not come and you simply have to focus whoever your team is trying to kill). When this moment is due, I go ham and cheese, full throttle on them and I don't think twice, because if I start double-guessing my decision, I am as good as dead. As an assassin I have enough damage (most of the time) to kill the ADC (or Mid Laner) on my own, whether I survive or not is secondary (as long as my team is able to clean up). If the second situation happens (I am splitpushing), I just press R and tell my team to engage hard. What happens is that the enemy thinks they are going 5 vs 4 (at least for a few seconds), but I am already falling. I deal massive AoE damage on arrival, slow everyone down and immediately focus one of the carries, most of the time killing them. After that, just focus whoever my team is focusing.

You can do this with nearly all assassins, you just have to be confident enough and not double-guess yourself. And remember, it is NOT ALWAYS about picking off the squishy (at least, at the beginning of the fight), you can do just as much good by focusing whoever your team is focusing and then, should the opportunity arise, you have clear openings everywhere. The more you play assassins, the more natural will the instincts come to you, so just keep on going and don't be afraid. Fear is the worst enemy of a glass cannon. And if you shatter, but took people with you, you did an okay job (the ideal situation is to survive as well, but sometimes, this is not possible).

I do not know if this was the answer you were looking for, I just told you what I do, so I hope I helped you, even if a little.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2016 7:10am | Report
Daimyon wrote:
as a support main, it becomes really hard to climb the ranks since you have to be nearly Godlike to carry a team as a support.
You don't need to be godlike, just better than the average player in your elo. Granted, you climb more slowly as a support, but if you're getting stuck you're either not playing enough games or you're not good enough to climb. If you want to get better as a support I recommend you check Vyn's supp AMA thread, you can either read what people asked lately or ask any doubts yourself.

That said, it's a great idea to play different roles to broaden your skillset. I myself play mostly tanky champions and I face that same problem you describe quite often. Thing is, you should learn to engage by engaging. I know it sounds obvious but by what you said you're not engaging because you don't know when the right moment is. If you're learning the role you'll be better off engaging whenever your team engages or whenever you suspect there is an opening. You'll do a lot of ****py engages, but that's how you start to learn. After some time you can cherrypick your engages in a champion you're familiar with.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2016 6:29am | Report
Re4XN wrote:
you peel by 360noscoping anyone trying to hit on your ADC
Now this is a setup for an original romantic comedy.

You could pick an assassin with easy combos and just gank a whole lot. Say, Talon or Katarina. Laning is challenging but ganking bot or top lane should be relatively easy. Just jump in and use your full combo. They'll either flee and are forced to recall or die, assuming your bot lane backs you up and you make sure you can win before you go in. Not sure when you can win? You'll find out soon enough.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
jokersprank
<Member>
jokersprank's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2016 8:39am | Report
Learning all roles is a wonderful thing to do and I'm not exaggerating. You basically learn what the enemy wants to do and what kind of habit they have.

For your assassin problem I recommend Diana, Talon and Katarina, maybe Akali. All have a ****ty laning phase which forces you to farm as good as you can and to snowball. Katarina, however, is safer than those.

The key to winning/surviving laning phase is to farm and to position correct. Assassins are more about exploiting positioning mistakes of the enemy than just doing damage. Basically you need to know ranges of all skills etc., especially your own spells. If you watch katarina montages, most players kill the enemy in the laning phase because they don't respect the range of shunpo+flash and the damage of ignite. Probably the most important thing is to learn when you can kill somebody. Most just farm and do not recognize that they can kill the enemy with a normal combo and ignite. (300-400 health is a free kill)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide