Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New here - general beginner advice?

Creator: Infinnite June 24, 2011 4:41pm
1 2 3
Infinnite
<Member>
Infinnite's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:41pm | Report
I just started playing LoL two days ago and I very much enjoy the game, but like every beginner I'm not too good yet. I solely play Co-Op v. AI for now until I get good enough to PVP, but anyway.. if anyone can offer any generally good advice for me, I would very much appreciate it.

Currently I'm level 6 and have little to nothing. I do pretty horribly in-game right now, I've never gone positive K/D-wise and never above 10 kills. I seem to feed way too much. It doesn't matter TOO much but I do want new champions, the only one I've unlocked is Master Yi and I dislike him. I'm more of a ranged kind of man myself, but I enjoy playing Malphite. Anyway, like I said, any help to get my feet off the ground would be great - maybe a suggestion as to which champion (1350 IP) to buy next and why?

Thanks!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:44pm | Report
Playing Co-op only is a fairly bad idea. The bots are handicaped and are really easy to beat. That said, just go into PVP. You get paired against people of your same level, summoner wise. Usually, the people aren't too bad but for the first couple levels, you will have leavers and feeders.
Just wait around here for a while. Someone far better than me will be along soon to give you more pointers. Also, Ashe is a great ranged person to pick up early on. And being only 450 IP, she's not a huge investment if you don't like her.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:45pm | Report
You can always go read the guides labeled 'General', they often supply you with a lot of awesome general information.
Ya1232
<Member>
Ya1232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:47pm | Report
Try this link out and answer truthfully.

Sure that link there may not be correct but can give you an idea of who to look at.
I bet you are doing what everyone does. Chasing people down, being aggressive and not thinking logically.
Happens to everyone and eventually through playing and be yelled at you stop and wait for that other person to make those mistakes and then jump on them.
gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:48pm | Report
The first few levels can be really frustrating, but there are some things to help you along. I don't suggest Co-op because the bots aren't enough like real people to prepare you. Try some PVP, and sometimes you will get demolished because people like to make second accounts to do just that. If you have some other high level friends, ask them for advice or you can go to one of the advice threads on these forums to read. Reading good strategies while practicing is the best way to get better.
Credit to jhoijhoi for this intense battle.
Whenever you +Rep me, a puppy finds a home.
My builds: Gragas Veigar Soraka
My Blog is f*cking important.
Infinnite
<Member>
Infinnite's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:53pm | Report
Lol, the bots are not easy for me to beat.. but maybe that is because most of the time I either get ambushed with no teammate support or chase them down at their turrets. Yeah, I think I just get impatient. But thanks for all of the help so far, this forum is one of the more helpful ones.

I'll try out PVP in a bit and hope to come across a few more beginners.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 4:57pm | Report
There's your problem. After a while, around champion level 10-11, you need to start grouping up. You don't go out alone unless you have either, A:Teammates near. B:Sight on all/most of the enemy team. C:You want to suicide to towers for backdooring (Advanced technique. Explained... w/e) D:You are confident on your escaping powers.

Tower diving is only if you are 100% certain that you can get the kill.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Infinnite
<Member>
Infinnite's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 5:12pm | Report
If I can kill and get away, I assume? Lol, thanks for the advice. I try to go out there with teammates but sometimes it's a bit difficult when they play stupidly. I'll attempt to play a little more logically from now when towers and enemy champions are concerned.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 5:17pm | Report
If you can get the kill and get away, that's best. If you get the kill on someone who is on like a 10 kill streak but you die, that's still a good trade as long as you weren't on a killing spree yourself.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2011 5:21pm | Report
One thing that I notice that newer players have trouble with:

Arguably the biggest part of the game is laning - a lot goes on in this stage of the game. You have to last hit (kill the creeps at low health so that you get the gold), you have to harass (throw a few spells at the enemy from time to time to lower their health bit by bit), you have to recall and heal and buy items, and you have to gank. All of these things tie into the lane phase - that is, when you stay in your designated lane almost exclusively. Now, a newer player doesn't quite know how to handle all these things. Here's what I suggest:

- learn the ranges of enemy spells, and what spells the enemy has. When you know this, you'll know that, for instance, ryze is approaching to throw an Overload at you, or maybe swain is trying to nevermore you. Learning this will make sure you know how to avoid harass from enemy champions and make the lane phase easier.

- When I play with my less experienced friends, they seem to have everything down to pat, but they still take a LOT of damage in lane. Why this happens is that they often take minion aggro - in other words, the minions will start attacking them. Minions don't seem to do a lot of damage, but an entire wave (6 or 7 minions, depending on if it's a siege wave) attacking over several seconds can deal a good chunk of damage. If you're going to deal damage to the enemy, try not to get right in the middle of a bunch of enemy minions, or they'll start attacking you once their minion target is dead.

Once you learn to avoid both minion and enemy harass, you'll do a lot better in the lane phase, and the rest of your game should greatly benefit.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide