Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

LoL Design Values: In-depth with Clarity

Creator: Wayne3100 June 24, 2014 6:30am
1 2
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2014 2:04pm | Report
no seriously, i played league pretty much since it was released, and i've played wow in vanilla and burning crusade.

both games have adopted a consistency to 'improve clarity' and push toward cookie-cutter playstyles. why? because that suits the lowest common denominator. its no longer about making a game thats fun, because the lcd complained about how its unfair that they look at the pros and want what they have but they also don't want to put in the effort to get to that level. instead the devs bend over backwards to please these people and push out more and more ways to take your money.

ip gains now scale over game time but statistically give less ip than before, champions come out and for a week their ip cost is spiked, 1350rp skins, including raising the price on a DIGITAL PRODUCT. lets also not forget the original ward skin fiasco.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2014 2:07pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

both games have adopted a consistency to 'improve clarity' and push toward cookie-cutter playstyles. why? because that suits the lowest common denominator. its no longer about making a game thats fun, because the lcd complained about how its unfair that they look at the pros and want what they have but they also don't want to put in the effort to get to that level. instead the devs bend over backwards to please these people and push out more and more ways to take your money.

ip gains now scale over game time but statistically give less ip than before, champions come out and for a week their ip cost is spiked, 1350rp skins, including raising the price on a DIGITAL PRODUCT. lets also not forget the original ward skin fiasco.

If that would be true, then Riot would add things to the game that would make it actually easier to play, although they don't. Providing people with information doesn't mean that they will use it; God knows that logic has been proven wrong so many times.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2014 8:42pm | Report

If that would be true, then Riot would add things to the game that would make it actually easier to play, although they don't. Providing people with information doesn't mean that they will use it; God knows that logic has been proven wrong so many times.

every champion can only do one thing now. every single champion release and relaunch has been shoehorning everyone into nice and neat cookie cutter positions. that and linear scaling throughout the entire game, or champions get buffs/nerfs to push them more into that position. adcs only have like, one ap scale, tops. or none even. look at tristana and tf, when was the last time they released a champion which had 2 different viable builds.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2014 9:17pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

every champion can only do one thing now. every single champion release and relaunch has been shoehorning everyone into nice and neat cookie cutter positions. that and linear scaling throughout the entire game, or champions get buffs/nerfs to push them more into that position. adcs only have like, one ap scale, tops. or none even. look at tristana and tf, when was the last time they released a champion which had 2 different viable builds.

That has more to do with design. Back then Riot just added scalings to everything; mostly AP scalings to magic damage and utility, and AD scalings to physical damage stuff. Riot has stopped giving everyone pointless scalings because it can lead to two things:
  1. The odd scalings do not line up with the original design and are too insignificant to become relevant; therefore pointless.
  2. They lead to some build that completely breaks the original design of the character (AP Rengar) which most likely also breaks balancing, as a character is balanced around their own strategic role.

Now you can argue that the former point isn't bad because it creates noob traps which makes the game more complex, but I say that's just an excuse for superfluous design. AP Trist has never been a major thing, and neither has AD TF, except for maybe way back, but at that point AP TF wasn't regarded as useful.

Champions are designed to fit roles in order for them to actually find a way into the metagame and be used; Quinn would be an example of who failed dramatically at doing so. Urgot is another one of those awkward champions with no clearly defined role. Characters in strategy games always appear to fulfill a strategic role, except Invoker, but that guy has never been the best example of balance now has he?

The point I'm trying to make is that characters are balanced around the role they're supposed to fulfill, and that a character is only played in the way that is the most optimal; examples are the shifts from AD to AP TF and from Bruiser to Mage Gragas. While it's fun that these things suddenly happen; they are also the nemesis of balance because they suddenly enter a new role which they are obviously not balanced around. On top of that, it completely contradicts their overall design as well, which not only makes the game less intuitive for (newer) players but it also just feels weird. AP Rengar and AP Tryndamere are prime examples of this. In fact, to avoid this kind of confusion, things such as Martial Cadence and Bullet Time have their damage type switched in order to make more sense to players in general.

Recapping, champions are designed in a way that they make sense to their original role and idea, not only to preserve the original character as much as possible but also for clarity purposes. Any game, especially one that doesn't provide too much direct help, should be intuitive and be clear about what the hell is happening. There's a thin line between making the game easier and making it more intuitive, and thus improving the overall gaming experience, but making sure that character designs are straightforward and fitting for their role has nothing to do with that.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2014 10:46pm | Report
caucheka wrote:
look at tristana and tf, when was the last time they released a champion which had 2 different viable builds.

Thresh is still a pretty recent release, and he can be played super support, ADC, or APC. Sure, only the super support role is LCS viable, but ADC and APC Thresh are viable in lower elo games.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2014 9:00pm | Report
Let's not talk viability in lower elo games. Vyn has proven that Crittlesticks can work in Silver. That means everything is viable in low elo games.

Hell, I got into Gold using a Soraka- Lulu botlane.

If we're talking double viable builds, AP Kog'Maw also existed for a while. Ezreal is probably a fine example of multiple build types. Post-change Rengar is also a good example. What about Lulu and Morgana?

You're completely off the mark about champions who can do one thing.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2014 9:23pm | Report
you guys are aware couchikey has been doing this for years right? "RIOT IS NOW WOW AND MAKING GAME TOO EASY FOR NOOBS ONLY ELITE GAMERS WOULD KNOW BUILDING MAGE ITEMS ON A BARBARIAN IS THE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY THE GAME BUT THEY TOOK IT OUT FKN NOOBS RUIN MY GAME!!!!!"

every time riot makes some kind of decision he has to be against it because riot is a company and hes too stuck in the old unbalanced alpha LoL when no one knew how to play the game

either way jungle timers have been needed for a while, and if they dont want to change the HuD too much they could just put summoner CDs on the score screen just like they are with jungle timers since it shows what summoners they have there anyways
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Fat_fast
<Member>
Fat_fast's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 28, 2014 4:31am | Report
I agree with GMD's line of logic though LoL would be far more interesting if all of its picks are viable, even in higher tier. Showing CD for allies ult and summoner's spell would be nice, the forest-spawn counter thing is a little bit over the line, but it's better than 3rd party program I guess. That doesn't mean that I'd still support LoL if they keeps on blowing things up, there's a lot of MOBA out there. So if any rioters can read this, do remember that we have choices.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide