Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Seconds

Creator: Wayne3100 May 10, 2015 4:33pm
49 posts - page 5 of 5
1 2 3 4 5
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2015 3:14pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Normally, I'm the one to jump down Riot's throat for terrible character lore. But this right here; How the heck were you able to determine that from just the trailer? It sounds a bit ageist to me. A perfectionist, at any age with that power, would probably do what this kid in this trailer would've done. I'm completely confused how you dragged that out of this trailer.

I'm going to chalk it up to personal opinion, but how you drew that conclusion from this is beyond me. It's like being able to determine that Riven was going to be a whiny ***** based on her splash art. Let more info come out first before you draw such a conclusion, because I think you're being Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too conclusive with very little evidence. It really kills the appreciation for the animation/scene. Pretty sure if you were at my college and made such a remark, everyone would be laughing. That or giving you blank stares. That's kind of what I'm doing right now actually.

Yeah, if I was in art/design class and was about to be graded and judged for my opinion I would think twice before comparing a piece to what my expectations were. This is the internet though, and I'm free to voice my dissatisfaction when a company takes a concept and fails to deliver it in a way that meets my expectations, at least at first :P Also, knowing riot I don't think this guy will get much more lore than the teaser, so even after he's fully released won't I only have this, maybe 2 more paragraphs of text and his voice over lines to work with when trying to figure out his story?

I might be basing my whole opinion on a teaser, but when you put it into perspective it might compose a third of the total available lore of Ekko which seems like a reasonable amount to draw tentative conclusions from.

I hope riot proves me wrong though, I'd really like to have one of my favorite character concepts done correctly in game but somehow my hunch keeps telling me he'll be a disappointment to myself. Dunno why, just a feeling.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2015 3:26pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:
Yeah, if I was in art/design class and was about to be graded and judged for my opinion I would think twice before comparing a piece to what my expectations were. This is the internet though, and I'm free to voice my dissatisfaction when a company takes a concept and fails to deliver it in a way that meets my expectations, at least at first :P

That feels sort of cheap(?) in a sense. I understand first impressions, but when the first impression is totally off in a biased sense, even people who aren't in the field are sure to raise an eyebrow. Look at the responses you got thus far. It's almost like me watching a trailer reveal for Lucian and saying "He's probably going to be a thug criminal just cuz he got dem guns and dreadlocks BLAT BLAT". That's sort of how left field your remark came off on this. After reviewing the footage again, I'm more confused how you drew typical teenager from this. Brash and a bit reckless, yes, but that comes with the age group, no? Unless this is the "bad thing" you were talking about, but then again, that just comes off as ageist than as real critique.

XeresAce wrote:
Also, knowing riot I don't think this guy will get much more lore than the teaser, so even after he's fully released won't I only have this, maybe 2 more paragraphs of text and his voice over lines to work with when trying to figure out his story?

I... didn't get anything from this guy's story other than he can warp time and he possibly lost someone. Who that is, why he does what he does and what his origins are are still in the complete unknown. Even if Riot does a ****ty job with Lore (which it does), this teaser shows us nothing. If anything, it gives an impression of what this character's dialogue in game would be like (and again, I didn't hear anything too dumb or too 'obnoxious teenager').

XeresAce wrote:

I might be basing my whole opinion on a teaser, but when you put it into perspective it might compose a third of the total available lore of Ekko which seems like a reasonable amount to draw tentative conclusions from.

I hope riot proves me wrong though, I'd really like to have one of my favorite character concepts done correctly in game but somehow my hunch keeps telling me he'll be a disappointment to myself. Dunno why, just a feeling.

This is all because of bias. You're setting yourself up for failure in terms of liking a character. I doubt your opinion will be swayed of this character only because you choose yourself to keep a negative view of it all.

But well, personal opinion, but I've to say you're in a minority here, but that's okay. It happens.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

ThreadOfFate
<Member>
ThreadOfFate's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 4:54am | Report
It does seem as though most people refuse to even give the character a chance though. I don't really care if he's a teenager or not. He actually looks like a pretty good lore opportunity, as long as they use the same style they used before the whole retconning of the institute, as now most reworked lores are really REALLY bad (looking at that now-awful Nasus and Azir lore).

I don't mind the fact that he's a teenager, and he's done nothing outright obnoxious other than rewinding time to save the wall which seems to hold a lot of meaningful images for him. It really isn't fair, the amount of people saying things like "Ermaghed he's a really stupid teenager with some time powers and a really bad lore" just because of a TEASER. When is a character's entire...Well, character ever revealed in just a teaser?

As I have previously stated, I personally like this champion already

I wonder if his ult might be something like Faceless Void from Dota 2? Introducing Chronosphere to LoL...
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 11:30am | Report
@tosh yeah, I guess it's a bit hard to be in a minority when it comes to personal opinion. I still think all of my negativity stems from the fact that when they mentioned "time manipulation" my expectations skyrocketed which I really shouldn't have allowed considering it's rito games developing him, and then I proceeded to over-analyze the trailer and view everything as negatively as possible LOL

Hopefully next champ will be more to my liking :p

EDIT: Oh and you kind of answered your own question within this sentence;
Quoted:
After reviewing the footage again, I'm more confused how you drew typical teenager from this. Brash and a bit reckless, yes, but that comes with the age group, no?

It comes with the age group i.e it is typical for a teenager LOL
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 6:17pm | Report
you guys remember when people assumed Jinx would be a paint champion when she was teased?

you should wait until his kit and the rest of his lore is out before you completely dismiss him as a character
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 6:21pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:
you guys remember when people assumed Jinx would be a paint champion when she was teased?

you should wait until his kit and the rest of his lore is out before you completely dismiss him as a character

They did? She was vandalizing with paint sure, but the sheer fact that she was only vandalizing Vi and Cait's pages made a pretty strong case for her to be tech themed (because EVERY Piltover champion is)

Obvious speculation is obvious!; Ekko is clearly of Zuanite/Piltover origins merely judging by his attire and gear. Whatever thing he's using to mess with time is technological rather than purely magical (IE; Zilean).
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 7:30pm | Report
a lot of people i talked to really thought she was going to be a painter champion because she used paint on their pages

anyways i cant wait to see his kit on thursday(when the PBE should be updated might be later) and hes probably going to be one of the few people i buy on release because i love his concept
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2015 7:37pm | Report
You think Rito would be that original?! Bah!

Themes are safe. Themes sell. It's a security thing. Ekko is actually a pretty good example of this. Time manipulation is a very alien mechanic to us (In this manner. Zilean's effects are too cause and effect, or static in nature. They are too simplistic), so Rito kept the rest of his theme squeaky clean and "safe". Champs that blend in with a very popular theme (In this case, Zuan/Piltover "tech" champs) sell well.

Bard was a big experiment for Riot. He didn't fit any particular theme within their game and his kit is extremely chock full of quirks. I doubt we will ever get a champion like him, or equally unique as him again.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 13, 2015 11:38am | Report
Ekko seems pretty unique kit wise, and in game he looks a lot more witty and smart than in the trailer. Personally I think rito failed in showcasing his abilities properly when making the trailer :/

Either way, I still don't feel like the concept is up to par with what I had originally expected, but it sure is a lot better than the impression I got from the trailer.

I think I'll probably buy him as soon as his price drops to 6300 just for his really quirky gameplay :D
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide