Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Amazon bought twitch

Creator: [deleted] August 25, 2014 1:31pm
36 posts - page 2 of 4
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2014 5:54am | Report
Searz wrote:
Why is anything better than Google?
Or is your statement as empty and groundless as that of everybody else?

*tinfoil hat on*

I think they're too big. And they basically operate in the same way that we believe the NSA operates. I don't think it's healthy to keep such a large quantity of information about a person in one place. Once people figure out decent AI(or they already did), it could get scary.

They have their fingers over literally all aspects of living, they can do whatever they want and nobody could work around it / stop it. They could practically brainwash people by combining all their services.

That doesn't mean they're doing it, but they can. And that's scary enough in my eyes.

*tinfoil hat off*

But I couldn't care less about who gets Twitch. I hardly use it.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 9:28am | Report
Yeah, I agree. I too am scared that Google might be or become too big.
But right now they're a great company and a golden standard for other companies.
Which is why I find it confusing when people harbor so much anger toward them.
There are several companies roughly the size of Google that consistently do utterly despicable things.
Microsoft, Apple and Samsung are three examples. I'm sure there are others.
If any of the above would have bought Twitch I'd be ****ing panicking. (hyperbole, I don't actually care too much about twitch)
So when there are so many bad companies, why does a good one get so much hate?
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 9:31am | Report
I have to agree with Searz here....why so much hate for google when there are FAR worse companies out there?
Latest Legend
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 12:53pm | Report
Microsoft, Apple and Samsung are nothing compared to Google if we're talking about the ability to brainwash people. I honestly can't see why you think those companies are worse, I'd rather use hotmail instead of gmail for example. Not that hotmail is a better service quality-wise, but I'm pretty sure I won't have any privacy if I'm using gmail. They do cool stuff but in the end they're always collecting data.

Those companies at least all have a clear income: selling products. I can't imagine Google getting enough income from selling their chromebooks and nexus line (etc). So how do they make money with "free" online services?

Besides, those companies probably aren't cool enough to use their data like Google does so I consider them safer options.

I could elaborate on why I think they're as terrible as they are, into a list of practical things, if you're interested. Let me just warn you that I'm pretty... well calling it subjective wouldn't be right but I wouldn't call my view on this totally objective either.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 1:50pm | Report
You don't seem to understand the problem here. Google is doing nothing wrong. It's perfectly fine to be weary, but you don't seem to realize that there are many other companies to be weary of too, and many of which you should be even more weary of, because they have betrayed peoples' trust time and time again and/or engaged in arguably illegal and flat out illegal behavior.

Samsung has offered to fly independent tech reporters to events, then told them that they're forced to work for Samsung in their booth or they won't get any tickets home.
Apple and Microsoft both engage in anti-competitive behavior, doing things that should be or sometimes are illegal.
Besides, those companies probably aren't cool enough to use their data like Google does so I consider them safer options.

You do realize that Microsoft and Apple both send user data back to wherever damn well they please when you use their services and systems, right?
They just don't tell you about it. (no, writing it in a 50-page legal document you're forced to accept is not 'telling you about it')
Microsoft at least has an option to disable it (usually), but Apple just doesn't give a hoot.
Meanwhile most Google products have a tickbox that says something along the lines of "Send anonymous user data to Google [...]".
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
Latest Legend
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 2:42pm | Report
Searz wrote:
Samsung has offered to fly independent tech reporters to events, then told them that they're forced to work for Samsung in their booth or they won't get any tickets home.
Apple and Microsoft both engage in anti-competitive behavior, doing things that should be or sometimes are illegal.

Those actions may be illegal but they don't affect me(or you) or the world as a whole as much as Google can/does.
Quoted:
You do realize that Microsoft and Apple both send user data back to wherever damn well they please when you use their services and systems, right?
They are competitors, I just hope for the best.
Quoted:
They just don't tell you about it. (no, writing it in a 50-page legal document you're forced to accept is not 'telling you about it')
Policies. They added a ****load of clutter, cut it into pieces and I don't know what else but I know I didn't read it in full. And I dare guess 80% of the userbase didn't. A while back they forced everyone to accept the new policy so that they could throw all the information of all their services together.
Quoted:
Meanwhile most Google products have a tickbox that says something along the lines of "Send anonymous user data to Google [...]".
What about the personal data? Like I said, they can't afford not to gain anything from you using their services. And you accepted their policy.

Google ads(What sites are you visiting? What do you like?)? Google analytics(same)? Google + button(same)? Google search integration(same)? Youtube(same)? (ajax.)googleapis(same)? Android(loads of ****)? Chrome(chromium but closed-source(?))? Google glass(Why is it always on? ProTip: Waiting for a tilt or "Ok Google" is not the answer)? Google fiber? Gmail(Why do these ads resemble to my email content?)? Google documents(They know what you're writing)? Google maps(They know where you are, they know where you're going)? Google earth? Google search(They know what you want)? Google Play? Google Drive(They know what you have)? Synced calendar, contacts, other **** you never asked for?

They're everywhere and they know everything. And if you know that for every person it gets even better.

Meanwhile, MS just scams people and makes ****py OSs. Samsung is mainly making hardware. Apple just scams people and sells hardware. They're not everywhere. They don't know everything.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 2, 2014 4:11pm | Report
Those actions may be illegal but they don't affect me(or you) or the world as a whole as much as Google can/does.

But they the things Google can do affects us infinitely less than the things other companies do.
Possibility and actuality are two completely different things.
So considering the fact that they haven't wronged their users yet your fears and criticisms are mostly groundless. That's what it all boils down to.
Quoted:
What about the personal data? Like I said, they can't afford not to gain anything from you using their services. And you accepted their policy.

Meanwhile, MS just scams people and makes ****py OSs. Samsung is mainly making hardware. Apple just scams people and sells hardware. They're not everywhere. They don't know everything.

But that's a big difference. You're comparing hardware to services when you shouldn't. Compare Google to other web services and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE SITE tracks you online. You're required to use specialized systems to avoid sites getting your information.
I do not expect this to happen at an app or OS level. At least not without my explicit consent first.
And so far Google has been better than both Apple and MS at notifying the user.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Quite Nomible
<Member>
Quite Nomible's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 3, 2014 4:56am | Report
Searz wrote:

Why is anything better than Google?
Or is your statement as empty and groundless as that of everybody else?

About the groundless part: no.

I truely hate it how Google is pretty much forcing you to use their services. Never wanted to get anything of google on my phone, still got it and can't get rid of it. Never wanted Google+ to use Youtube, still got it and can't get rid of it otherwise I can't use Youtube on my account.

There's no choice or anything, it's like Google still takes the credit that it's commonly used even though you never wanted to use it. Do they get anything better from it? Most likely, they can fake it that it's popular and make tons of money in the process with ads and stuff. Do we get anything better from it? Not at all...
de cursus "omgaan met teleurstellingen" gaat wederom alweer niet door.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 8:40am | Report
I truely hate it how Google is pretty much forcing you to use their services.

I truely hate it

truely

And I truely hate awful grammar and poorly constructed arguments, but we can't have it all, huh?
Quoted:
I truely hate it how Google is pretty much forcing you to use their services. Never wanted to get anything of google on my phone, still got it and can't get rid of it.

False, you're just too ignorant or too lazy to bother doing it or finding out how.
I know how to rid an Android phone of all Google services.
Quoted:
Never wanted Google+ to use Youtube, still got it and can't get rid of it otherwise I can't use Youtube on my account.

If you're complaining now you should have been complaining about it since the moment Youtube was launched, because the principle remains the same: you create an account to subscribe to channels and comment on videos. The only difference now is that you create a Google account to do that while it was previously a Youtube account. It's only a change in name for those that don't use Google's other services.
And if you're really pissed off at having to spend less than 5minutes creating a Google account then you are the most small-minded idiot I have encountered these last few weeks.
Quoted:
There's no choice or anything, it's like Google still takes the credit that it's commonly used even though you never wanted to use it. Do they get anything better from it? Most likely, they can fake it that it's popular and make tons of money in the process with ads and stuff. Do we get anything better from it? Not at all...

Just stop this idiocy. If you really dislike Google that much you should just stop complaining like a little ***** and find alternative services for the things Google does.
I'm personally interested in finding such services in case Google turns on us.
DuckDuckGo is a fine example of a replacement for Google's search.
https://duckduckgo.com/
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 9:12am | Report
I like google.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide