Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Buying a new computer

Creator: tehAsian August 5, 2012 6:20pm
42 posts - page 4 of 5
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 12:59pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

My budget is literally anything (azn parents making TONS OF DAMAGE money off stock marketing wtf).

another rich kid on moba? :D
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Arkharan
<Member>
Arkharan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 1:13pm | Report
Quoted:

And I'm the happy kid that is happy that I upgraded my 4gb on my laptop for 8gb (1066)
They won't share any of this money! :<

ty xaiolu for the sign :3
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 1:14pm | Report
I can help you with it tehAsian, but what I think he means is getting a motherboard that is LGA 1155 compatible if you are using a LGA 1155 socket CPU (most common consumer brand CPU), and getting RAM to fit LGA 1155; it really isn't anything to worry about.

Also some of the things Searz recommended are a bit iffy...

I wouldn't recommend an AsRock motherboard, Asrock tends to have a lot of issues, including their service...I prefer Asus.

For the HDD, you really don't need 2 TB, keep in mind if you build your own or even buy a custom built, you can always add hard drive and just hook them up, plus you probably won't need 2 TB...if you wanna go the SSD route (a small, expensive drive that loads super fast -- with windows on it you will boot in ~10 seconds), you could get a 56 or 128 gig SSD for ~$100 (totally worth it, trust me) and then a 1TB WD Caviar Black (one of the best HDDs) for ~$100. 256 gig SSD is overkill and only good to get if you will ONLY be using it, but every gamer needs more space than that, and you really only need your vital apps (windows, browsers, microsoft office, for me photoshop and league, antivirus, etc.) on it. All my ~500 gigs of steam games are on my HDD :3

@Searz, what exactly is AHCI mode? Isn't it a RAID kinda thing? Doesn't seem necessary...

Continuing on, internal disc drives are totally worth it, since then you don't need to worry about a clunky USB one, and an internal reader/burner is like $15 >_>, probably cheaper than a USB one.

Modular PSUs are nice, they cut back on the cables a bit (modular, you plug them into the PSU as you need them, normal PSUs just have every cable attached to it in a bundle)

Also, cases are mostly preference, just find one you like how it looks (unlike Searz I am not really a fan of how that case looks >_>), one thing you should try to do tho, especially as a newbie computer builder (helped me a lot and makes the interior much more organized and look nicer), get a case with a cable management system, where you route cables behind the main compartment so it is a bit more organized and nicer looking. I'm pretty sure every Corsair case (I have the Graphite 660T) has that, it's really nice :D

Oh and you generally want your case to have built in dust filters over your fans (surprisingly most don't, it is really very helpful), have a bottom opening PSU slot (not necessary but I prefer it sucking air from outside rather than messing with the airflow of the case), have feet elevating it if it does have a bottom opening PSU slot (pretty sure all of them that have it do, since it needs to get air >.<), and having a lot of front panel USBs and a fan control is super nice too. The 660T has it all, LOVE the case :D looks really sleek too.

But ya I'll help you with all this stuff if you figure out a budget and talk to me a bit, just hit me up on League when you get on :3

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 1:16pm | Report
Quoted:

Wat? No.

Just incredibly financially secure.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 2:03pm | Report

I wouldn't recommend an AsRock motherboard, Asrock tends to have a lot of issues, including their service...I prefer Asus.

I don't know, but I don't think Asrock has any distinct problems in customer service.
Asus is great (I love them), but this specific motherboard has a ton of great functions for a good price. It's simply the best price/performance.

Quoted:
For the HDD, you really don't need 2 TB, keep in mind if you build your own or even buy a custom built, you can always add hard drive and just hook them up, plus you probably won't need 2 TB...if you wanna go the SSD route (a small, expensive drive that loads super fast -- with windows on it you will boot in ~10 seconds), you could get a 56 or 128 gig SSD for ~$100 (totally worth it, trust me) and then a 1TB WD Caviar Black (one of the best HDDs) for ~$100. 256 gig SSD is overkill and only good to get if you will ONLY be using it, but every gamer needs more space than that, and you really only need your vital apps (windows, browsers, microsoft office, for me photoshop and league, antivirus, etc.) on it. All my ~500 gigs of steam games are on my HDD :3

Of course he doesn't need it, but he might in the future and like I said; the price/performance is MUCH better at 2TB. 20% more moniez for 100% more storage space? I'd take that deal any time.

I recommended a 256GB SSD because it has better write speeds (better performance essentially) than a similar 128GB SSD while having better price/performance. But it seems that might just be in Sweden. I took at quick look at Newegg and there the prices were the other way around.
So if the 128GB variant costs less per GB you should get that one. It's all about price/performance. ALL.

Quoted:
@Searz, what exactly is AHCI mode? Isn't it a RAID kinda thing? Doesn't seem necessary...

Mr.Clueless acting like a PC pro :P
I forgot to tell you about it, and I forgot to enable it on my relative's PC >.>
AHCI is a replacement for IDE. It's how the motherboard handles the information from the drive, I believe. AHCI takes less CPU power and gives better performance. Enabling it will wipe the HDD though, sadly.

Quoted:
Continuing on, internal disc drives are totally worth it, since then you don't need to worry about a clunky USB one, and an internal reader/burner is like $15 >_>, probably cheaper than a USB one.

It's all about what you want :P

Quoted:
Also, cases are mostly preference, just find one you like how it looks (unlike Searz I am not really a fan of how that case looks >_>)

(I meant Fractal Design DEFINE R4, derp)
Oh, believe me when I say that I'm not liking that case for it's looks. (even if it does look pretty good)
I like that case because of the amazing design. It's simply amazing to work in it. Every aspect of the case is so very intelligently designed. You can modify so many things and you always have plenty of space.

Quoted:
Oh and you generally want your case to have built in dust filters over your fans (surprisingly most don't, it is really very helpful), have a bottom opening PSU slot (not necessary but I prefer it sucking air from outside rather than messing with the airflow of the case), have feet elevating it if it does have a bottom opening PSU slot

Define R4 has eet all.
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
Arkharan
<Member>
Arkharan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 2:24pm | Report
Well I just checked the price of the SSD on newegg also.
The price/performance for the SSDs for both 128/256 are even, really but if he really wants to invest in something, like a 256gb he'd be better off going 2x 128gb in RAID 0 wich would be around the same price.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 2:27pm | Report
^Well, no.

2*128 in RAID0 will only give you 128GB space, but you'll get double the performance.
1*256 gives you 256GB space while also giving you better write performance over a single 128GB SSD.

Raid0 is kind of a waste anyways. SSDs are so fast that you need storage space and reliability more than speed nowadays.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
Arkharan
<Member>
Arkharan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 2:31pm | Report
Yeah but it's not about the space, I don't know many people who store over 128 gb of softwares and stuff. You have to remember you also have a regular HDD with like 1tb. I mean if you're to really go for 256gb, I'd go raid 0 with 2*128 for the same performance. Hell anyway I have a 320gb HDD with an external 500gb HDD and it's a ****ing laptop, "wish I was a rich kid"

The LZ
<Member>
The LZ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 2:42pm | Report
I think if you're used to laptops,
you probably won't be so fussed when
it comes to the question about space.
"(Btw LZ, I read all of your posts like a poem because your paragraphs look like stanzas. It's rather amusing. :P)" - PsiGuard
"^ya same
why you write like that" - wRAthoFVuLK
"Why DO you write like that?" - Amazing Monkey
"Why do you write like that LZ?" - iownedya
"no-one knows, but it is unique.
An artist originalising his work,
per say. Yet what have I done,
I have copied his work.
It's probably wrong too, but lolz. Keep at it LZ, since it makes reading your posts interesting." - ShiftyCake
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2012 3:09pm | Report
oh yea that's another thing, make sure you have the room for a big clunky case + monitor :P

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide