Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Dead Island

Creator: Searz August 12, 2011 7:20am
60 posts - page 4 of 6
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2011 12:28pm | Report
If it's open world and you rely on a few certain things to survive. (whatever they may be)

By creating dynamic open world shifts like priority in needing more food or ammo we effectively create a point a to b scenario. The options how to get there can vary. Add in time mechanics like day and night. As well as different interior or exteriors forests, apartments, sewers etc. However food water and ammo could be scrounged so making the allure the possibility of a certain weapon or tool could be helpful too. Something along those lines.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2011 9:05pm | Report
TLDR; Ignore the crying, this is a great game.

I love L4D to death but if you put it in an open world you'd have to adjust the mechanics and now it's not L4D any more. Even what you are describing above is no longer L4D. It's cool and I'd definitely play it, but it's not L4D :)

I caved and picked this up despite all the crying on Valve's forums and... I love it. I was bored with Borderlands... It was way too grind-y for me, quests were not interesting, story was way too sparse, and because the weapons weren't individually fine-tuned by the devs they just weren't fun to use. The concept is great on paper but fizzled in practice (that being said I will most likely still check out Borderlands 2 cuz I'm a sucker).

Dead Island is WAY more fun. That review pasted earlier is bs :P I find the combat to be quite satisfying. You need to play for a while to get the timing down, and each weapon has its own "reach"/feel/timing... But once you get the hang of it it is satisfying as hell. Club a zombie directly in the skull as it comes running at you, then watch it sore back through the air in slow motion. Go for the neck with a bladed weapon and the zombie heads tumble off as their body stumbles for a bit and then collapses. Run full tilt at an unsuspecting zombie and cram your boot up its ***. They get tossed to the ground, ready for a nice messy head stomp.

Honestly the fact that the timing is a little tricky just makes it more satisfying when you get the hang of it.

The quests are MUCH better than borderlands. I find myself much more interested in what is going on on the island.

The island itself is really detailed, I am constantly stopping just to look around different areas. Borderlands had no enjoyable exploration for me, but Dead Island is reminding me of Fallout 3. Pick a direction, walk until you see an interesting place, then check it out. Borderlands was more like a hub compared to DI.

I will say that the engine is pretty rough but not nearly enough to stop me from playing it. They've patched it already and resolved a lot of the issues, and I expect they'll continue to do so.

Edit: After reading some reviews I think this is just a problem of people expecting a DIFFERENT game, not a better game. It's not a realistic zombie survival RPG.
JakofAllSpaydes
<Editor>
JakofAllSpaydes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2011 9:24pm | Report
Looks good to me :/
Thx to Jhoi, nyoike, xiao, Jeffy40Hands, AlexPT, Wafflewarrior, Wrath and myself for the sigs <33333
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2011 10:46pm | Report
I see your point Matt, and I agree, the reviews are probably bad for that exact reason, it was marketed as a different game. Now I just need to decide whether I want that different game.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 7:45am | Report
Like Diablo, but with Zombies and first person view, ahue.

Looks good. I'll probably get it.

As Matt said; the people who are complaining probably wanted a different game.
I would love to see a really realistic story driven zombie apocalypse game, but making a good one would be really hard.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 8:29am | Report
I'll make one.....I'll DO IT!!!!!!!!!

(in my mind)

Meh I was expecting a better overall experience. Not a game with bugs that take away from the visceral experience of lopping someone's head off. Or a game where the number of zombies on screen is comparable to what I'd find in House of Dead in an arcade.

You have your opinions, I have mine. Marketing a game to be something it isn't IS a no-no in my book. I was expecting L4D meets Dead Rising. What I got was something I'd rather not put into words....

Rent it, don't buy it.

You like killing Zombies? This game is for you, just don't waste ~60USD on it.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 5:04pm | Report
I haven't experienced any bugs except the "black screen on startup" thing, but disabling my second monitor fixed that and now that they've patched it I don't even have to do that. Not a single crash or other bug. Not saying there weren't problems, as clearly there were (they have released 3 patches already and it's only been out a couple days), but I feel like people are making a bigger fuss than it deserves and the devs have been quick to react. I'm fully enjoying the visceral experience of lopping someone's head off, repeatedly, and was doing so even before the patches :)

I don't really get people's problem with the marketing either. I can see it in the reviews but I still don't get it. Most of the marketing was just that one all-CG trailer that caused all the buzz, which only really told you it was a zombie game set in an island resort with a strong element of human loss and sacrifice and a much darker mood than something like Dead Rising. That's all in the game. Maybe I missed some part of their marketing? I expected first person, open world with lots of quests, a large and interesting island to explore, lots of weapons and loot, lots of melee combat, zombies, some minor RPG elements. That is all there, and IMO it's really well done, much better than Dead Rising.

It sounds like maybe your beef is with the style of zombie? Instead of hordes like in L4D and Dead Rising, you only have between 1-6 attacking at a time. It's less about holding back the flood and more about being tactical and cautious.

It also sounds like you WANT a different game. Which I can totally understand. When Eve Online came out I thought it would answer my prayers and be the space exploration MMO I've always wanted, but it was a different game than what I envisioned. So I don't like it. Lots of other people do, though :)
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 5:06pm | Report
Also you might want to check out this one:

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 5:41pm | Report
Sall good. I've never regretted renting a game. But I do at least want something that takes me a week or so to beat....most of the time though, i can knock out a game in 1 or 2 sittings. XD
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2011 7:12pm | Report
I bought it and I've played it a bit, and I kinda agree with Matt.. I got bored of Borderlands rather fast ^^

But this generally seems better and more interesting and with way more lasting appeal.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide