Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

GamerGate, the Quinnspiracy, related controversy.

Creator: caucheka September 7, 2014 3:55pm
1 2
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2014 12:04pm | Report
Sorry for the late response, I've kind of been sick.
lifebaka wrote:
I definitely disagree. Part of this is a decidedly feminist reading of the situation (unavoidable when the blame is focused on the woman involved rather than the man), but another large part is that a huge part of the focus was on parts of Quinn's sex life that had absolutely nothing to do with the asserted unprofessional relationship. Even if we accept that we need to talk about the fact that Quinn was sleeping with some specific people, it's still unnecessary (and IMO ****ed up) to include pretty much anything else about her sex life.

I disagree. If a public figure ****ed up bigtime then nothing should be off limits, again regardless of gender. That's just me though and I might be a tad bit harsh there.
But it can objectively be concluded that Quinn's sex life or at least part of it is relevant to this discussion. If you disagree with that it's definitely your feminist bias getting in the way.
Quoted:
Yeah, it's really hard for me to read people saying things about women and not assume that it's about gender. A huge part of this is sensitivity to feminist readings on my part, which means that I shove these kinds of readings into stuff.

I understand. It's okay. Just try to remember your own biases and act accordingly. I know it's not easy, but it helps the discussion.
Quoted:
I don't think it's true that I brought gender into this, though, because it's pretty obvious that we're talking about people. Who have gender. So gender's kinda' part of this. Nor do I think that Cau brought feminism into this. Because this involves a woman, so feminism is already a part of it. Asserting that these things aren't a part of the conversation is... Untrue. You can decide not to have these parts of the conversation or engage with them, but you shouldn't try to tell other people that the parts of the conversation you don't want to have don't exist or only exist because those other people are shoehorning them in.

Okay, let's look at it this way. Gender is a part of discussions only when gender has a relevance on the points being made. Gender is always has an effect, proven by your reactions, but it doesn't need to be a part of the discussion. We can and in my opinion should leave gender out of the discussion. At least when discussing the topic of corruption. The *****torm is an entirely different thing.
Quoted:
Mm. I'm not really sure. "personal connections" is pretty vague. Are we talking about actual romantic relationships? 'Cuz, yeah, you probably shouldn't review art created by a significant other (or ex-). I don't think that's very controversial. Or are you talking about something a little more acquaintance-y, like going out to have drinks with someone a few times? I'm not sure that kind of personal connection is actually very problematic, in general.

I mean personal connections of any kind. What you defined as "a little more acquaintance-y". It doesn't have to be problematic, but it's better to be honest about it, even if it doesn't affect the article.
I mean, this about the effects. A few words of honesty goes a long way to dispel doubts.

Here's some very reasonable words on the topic of this *****torm. TB is leading the debate once again and proving to be one of the most reasonable people out there:
http://blueplz.blogspot.gr/2014/08/this-game-supports-more-than-two-players.html

Here's an article involving TB that focuses more on the corruption part:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-16-blurred-lines-are-youtubers-breaking-the-law
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2014 9:51am | Report
And here are some more on the topic from TB. (should have posted these last time)

On Zoe Quinn:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1

On the **** TB has gotten for no apparent reason:
http://gamesnosh.com/the-ugly-side-of-justice-total-biscuit-denounced-over-zoe-quinn-scandal-comments/

On corruption:

R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 18, 2014 5:00am | Report
Toshabi wrote:
If given the chance, I would still probably sleep with Twilight Sparkle even though the series dropped severely in quality since season 2.

Twiligt Sparke sux.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 4:41am | Report
Isn't that exactly his point?
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide