Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Intel will support FreeSync

Creator: Searz August 23, 2015 10:56am
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2015 10:56am | Report
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/212642-intel-will-support-freesync-standard-with-future-gpus

Looks like FreeSync will be the de facto standard in a few years.
Very happy about this.
Closed standards like G-Sync only hurts the consumers. I don't care that I've got an Nvidia GPU, I want G-Sync gone from the market. Let's hope Nvidia picks up the FreeSync standard as well.

Also, fun fact about Nvidia's mobile (laptop) G-Sync:
They're essentially using FreeSync. I think it could be possible to hack a laptop with an Nvidia GPU to work with a standalone FreeSync screen.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2015 1:39pm | Report
What's the difference between GSync and FreeSync? I know GSync is way better than VSync, but that's about it...
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2015 1:54pm | Report
That's good news, those GSync monitors are so expensive.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2015 2:01pm | Report
Re4XN wrote:
What's the difference between GSync and FreeSync? I know GSync is way better than VSync, but that's about it...

They're the same thing.

Nvidia is just doing it the proprietary way, using their own scalers for screens (but not for laptop screens). Which is horrible for consumers as it fragments the market. Nvidia is doing a lot of **** like that. PhysX is another instance of Nvidia being ***hats. Exclusive **** like that is never good for the end user. I hate **** like that.

The advantage of Nvidia's method is that they can use special made scalers that support a wider range of smoothed framerates right now. For example, on a 144Hz G-Sync screen the adaptive sync works for 30 to 144Hz, while for the same 144Hz FreeSync screen the adaptive sync works for 40-90Hz.
But this is only temporary, due to the generic scaler tech used right now. In the future scalers will be built specifically to work for the full range.

Of course, there's a downside other than the market fragmentation too: pricing.
G-Sync screens are more expensive. Usually around 100$ extra. Nvidia like their cash.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide