Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 147 of 334
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 11:35am | Report

Finally, I have a question, if someone would be kind enough to answer: what is Gintama like? I've heard its pretty good but I've also heard it' kind of a stupid self-referencing comedy.

Gintama is a very well made comedy series. It's a must watch if you want to laugh but that's not it's only asset. Story is pretty good and characters are more than memorable.

@Yaya
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 2:53pm | Report
K thx cuddowls I'll give it a look.

Edit: dat kyubey pic so creepy.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 5:56pm | Report
It's worth noting that Cuddowls isn't the best judge of quality. I haven't watched Gintama, so I can't actually suggest that he's wrong, but it's worth taking his opinion with a grain of salt. I have heard that Gintama is good, but I know from the sources I've heard about Gintama from that I probably wouldn't like it that much.

I wouldn't bring up "science" in regards to any anime I've ever seen any part of ever. I'm pretty sure that I've seen most recent anime, a solid proportion of older ones as well, and I cannot say that I have ever seen an anime that has done science well. There are decent space operas, the subgenre of science fiction where the science isn't required for the story, but no real hard science fictions.

The selling points of Madoka aren't really in how it deals with magic. While it does deal with magic decently well, and the silly alien bits do make sense, it's nothing that other anime don't do about as well. Madoka's main selling points, in my opinion, are in how it deals with magical girl anime tropes--'cuz, you know, it's a deconstruction of those tropes--and its other literary references to bits of western culture. The scene with the apple, some clear Christian imagery, is fascinating.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 7:18pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

It's worth noting that Cuddowls isn't the best judge of quality.

Why is that exactly baka.
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 7:43pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

It's worth noting that Cuddowls isn't the best judge of quality. I haven't watched Gintama, so I can't actually suggest that he's wrong, but it's worth taking his opinion with a grain of salt. I have heard that Gintama is good, but I know from the sources I've heard about Gintama from that I probably wouldn't like it that much.

I wouldn't bring up "science" in regards to any anime I've ever seen any part of ever. I'm pretty sure that I've seen most recent anime, a solid proportion of older ones as well, and I cannot say that I have ever seen an anime that has done science well. There are decent space operas, the subgenre of science fiction where the science isn't required for the story, but no real hard science fictions.

The selling points of Madoka aren't really in how it deals with magic. While it does deal with magic decently well, and the silly alien bits do make sense, it's nothing that other anime don't do about as well. Madoka's main selling points, in my opinion, are in how it deals with magical girl anime tropes--'cuz, you know, it's a deconstruction of those tropes--and its other literary references to bits of western culture. The scene with the apple, some clear Christian imagery, is fascinating.

I would never blindly watch something without investigating first but cuddowls gave me his opinion so i will respect it, I have checked Gintama out myself and watched a few episodes and it just isnt my thing. I didn't say madoka's main selling point was the science I just said I liked how it integrated science with the magical girl theme, if that came across differently to people than I'm sorry and I should clarify what I say, also did anyone else think madoka was kinda Tim Burton like?
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 8:53pm | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

Why is that exactly baka.

Previous evidence. You're young, though, so it's understandable. Hell, a lot of people never really understand that there's a difference between "I enjoyed this" and "this is good", and even those of us who do have a hard time telling what the difference actually is. It really takes a decent amount of experience to start to understand what the difference is, and it's hard to have that kind of experience when you're only 14 or so (if memory serves).

IShouldGetALife, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion in Gintama, as far as you actually watched, if you've got any specifics you'd like to share.

I didn't say madoka's main selling point was the science I just said I liked how it integrated science with the magical girl theme

I think that you mean Madoka's science fiction elements, right? I thought you might've meant science more in the school-subject sort of sense, which is where my response was coming from. I tend to try to be really precise with which words I use, and I forget that other people don't do that as much, so sorry if I offended. I agree that the science fictional (which is a fun phrase) aspects to the alien stuff with Kyubei is well done.

As for Madoka being Burton-esque (-esque is a great suffix), I'm not sure I agree. Burton's work tends to have a dark visual aesthetic, where Madoka's is frequently very bright and colorful. A lot of Burton's work is also outside of the more kid-friendly animation, as well, such as Sweeney Todd or Edward Scissorhands. So outside of being kinda' dark and generally having a happy ending, which could be said about a lot of things, I wouldn't really consider Madoka much like a Burton film. (Also, I looked at Burton's director credits, and damn, there're some movies on there that I would never have thought were Burton films.)
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 9:12pm | Report
lol esque was the right suffix after all (grammar isn't my strong suit :p) I meant it more as in the animation style used in a few of the labyrinths looked like something he would do and yes I meant the science fiction, I myself should be clearer when I type as I often forget that I can't get across the meaning as well as when I speak. As for Gintama, I don't have any specifics really, it was enjoyable at times but I don't watch comedies that much and when I do it is either Monty Python or animes that have comedy as a backing element like Baka and Test (not that i enjoyed it that much, the baka annoyed the ****ing **** outta me) or sekirei, if I watch an actual comedy I prefer it to be more subtle than Gintama is. Times such as when Shinpachi complains that he only fought for "one page" and Gintoki replies, "Shut up! One page is a long time for a manga artist!" annoy me as I find it kinda gimmicky and I don't liek the amounts of gags used, I'm not saying it was bad, it's like family guy I won't say that is bad but I don't find it enjoyable.

Sorry if the answer isn't that great but I watched a few episodes of Gintama right before I started my Clannad marathon and tbh a silly comedy wasn't that memorable compared to a heartfelt drama

Edit: to clarify it just wasn't my type of show as I prefer humor to be more natural or witty than gimmicky and cliched
MrCuddowls
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2013 10:59pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Previous evidence. You're young, though, so it's understandable. Hell, a lot of people never really understand that there's a difference between "I enjoyed this" and "this is good", and even those of us who do have a hard time telling what the difference actually is. It really takes a decent amount of experience to start to understand what the difference is, and it's hard to have that kind of experience when you're only 14 or so (if memory serves).

IShouldGetALife, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion in Gintama, as far as you actually watched, if you've got any specifics you'd like to share.

Because you always see me coming on this thread flaunting about how awesome naruto and bleach are like the usual 14 year old who thinks they know all about anime. Makes sense.

I don't get how my age (16) has anything to do with my ability to judge whether a show that I watch is good or not. Especially seeing as I've done that for quite a while, even when I don't want to, when teachers at school give me assignment to rigorously analyze books like Mockingbird.

Quoted:
"I enjoyed this" and "this is good"

The fact that you associate such an argument with me pisses me off greatly.

Here's an image of the things I've been able to cram into my archive so far. All held to a fairly high standard. You won't see garbage unless in there unless I'm masturbating to it.
Spoiler: Click to view
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2013 4:40am | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

Because you always see me coming on this thread flaunting about how awesome naruto and bleach are my knowledge on anime like the usual 14 16 year old who thinks they know all about anime.

Fixed.
Quoted:
"'I enjoyed this' and 'this is good'"

The fact that you associate such an argument with me pisses me off greatly.

Because several others have made that statement about you before?
Quoted:
Here's an image of the things I've been able to cram into my archive so far. All held to a fairly high standard. You won't see garbage unless in there unless I'm masturbating to it.
Spoiler: Click to view

You're ****ing hilarious.

Also, there's this thing called an end tag. I took the liberty of adding one.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 7, 2013 4:45am | Report
Watching kokoro connect and greatly enjoying it. Started watching it with very low expectations and only because it was recommended by a friend but now I'm hooked. I find it quite interesting and relatable in many ways. Would definitely recommend it to someone who's just looking for a mix of slice of life and psychology.
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide