Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

PhoneBloks

Creator: jhoijhoi September 12, 2013 5:55pm
30 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
Do you like the idea of a phone worth keeping?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2013 5:55pm | Report
As an owner of 5 dead phones and counting, I'd personally like a model like this. If there was a standard "base" for phones, companies would work on providing better supporting parts, and the operating systems would be improved.

I'm not sure how the electronic side of this will work, but I'm hoping that somehow it will, lol.

Pitfalls aside, I love the idea of this. Website for perusal: www.phonebloks.com

guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Satella
<Member>
Satella's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2013 6:12pm | Report
This will be more expensive and less profitable for manufacturers, which is why it's not going to happen.
Rewriting Riven Guide Useful Programs Thread Sig making
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2013 6:58pm | Report
^ yeah. great concept but i doubt it will happen.

want a phone that lasts? stay away from smart phones...i keep my 'brick' phones for up to 5 years and they are way more durable.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 3:07am | Report
Voted no to balance the scale out.

But my real opinion is: this just isn't gonna work.
Prices will sky-rocket as a result, and making a phone with top-end hardware will be maybe even twice as expensive.. (manufacturing cost that is, not end price for the consumer, even though that most likely will be much higher too)

And the guy who made this really has no clue about hardware..
First off, the phone will be severely limited in speed if you go with a separate board that connects the parts like that.
And several of the parts he is showing on the phone are integrated into each other in real phones to save space and battery usage.
The phone he is suggesting is simply a physical impossibility, at least in the sense that it is able to compete with normal smartphones.
This idea just doesn't work.

want a phone that lasts? stay away from smart phones...i keep my 'brick' phones for up to 5 years and they are way more durable.

That's not necessarily true. Smartphones last if you pick a good one.
Mine is ~3 years old and it does everything I want it to(which is calling, SMS:ing, using it as mobile Wi-Fi, listening to music and occasionally using it to read/write something when I don't have my tablet with me). It not buttery smooth like the newer high-end phones, but it's mostly lag-free and has a fantastic interface for SMS messaging and calling. And even after almost 2 years(I've owned it for 2 years, the model is 3 years old) it can still hold a charge for 2 days with mild usage.
The important part here is that I picked a phone that will last, a Nexus phone. My Nexus S is really damn old by today's standards, yet I don't see much of a need to upgrade for at least another two years or so.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 3:32am | Report
Interesting concept. I am not a phonemaster, but pollution wise it is a heavily improvement :P

Though I am wondering if the customisation is actually a good idea, will it work just as good if the blocks would have a standard position?
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Thalia Kael

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 7:20am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

Interesting concept. I am not a phonemaster, but pollution wise it is a heavily improvement :P

Though I am wondering if the customisation is actually a good idea, will it work just as good if the blocks would have a standard position?

No, there wouldn't be any real difference..

As I said in the comment just above yours: this is impossible, at least in the sense that it would be able to compete with normal smartphones.
Because having a modular circuit-board that connects everything will force sacrifices in speed, size, cost AND weight.
It will result in a subpar phone that will be unable to compete with normal phones.
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 8:01am | Report
I had this idea for computers where you could just change a chip instead of the whole motherboard, for example. this is a very good step.
Searz wrote:

As I said in the comment just above yours: this is impossible, at least in the sense that it would be able to compete with normal smartphones.
Because having a modular circuit-board that connects everything will force sacrifices in speed, size, cost AND weight.
It will result in a subpar phone that will be unable to compete with normal phones.

Let me tell you what you are doing:
you are basically comparing a Smart Fortwo with a Tata Nano. People that have money will bu' the smart, people that lack it but would really need a car, wont mind the fact that it has lower quality and technology.
my point is, there is a market for people that don't want to spend that much, and will be very pleased it it allows them to keep it with small investments throughout the years, instead of spending a big chunk everytime part X in no longer good.

Not everyone uses the phones for the same thing. Even forcing elderly to know how to use a smartphone is a bit of n0nsense, especially because they won't need all that functionality... as well as children.

Sig made by Aquilegia
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 8:39am | Report
Searz wrote:

But, the way it is now, it has connections from dot to dot. If they were to have a standard position, the cost and weight definately would be reduced, since each dot doesn't necessarily have to be connected to eachother :P

Or am I completely missing the point? :P
Change is gooooood
Picture by: My valentine; jamespongebob <3
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 4:24pm | Report
I killed my Nexus 4 twice in 3 months, staying away from phones for a while
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2013 8:20am | Report
Pheyniex wrote:

you are basically comparing a Smart Fortwo with a Tata Nano. People that have money will bu' the smart, people that lack it but would really need a car, wont mind the fact that it has lower quality and technology.

Two car models I've never heard about here in Sweden, but your point seems valid so far.
Quoted:
my point is, there is a market for people that don't want to spend that much, and will be very pleased it it allows them to keep it with small investments throughout the years, instead of spending a big chunk everytime part X in no longer good.

This is where you go wrong.
The cost of the Block-phone compared to similar normal phones will be significantly higher.
Because it will cost a LOT more to manufacture.
I mean, if they wanna make it easy to see which part that is faulty (which is pretty much required) the phone base-block would need a pretty advanced controller chip that can troubleshoot any eventual problems.
And there is a lot of extra stuff that would need to be added to allow this kind of partitioning of the components.
And it's this addition of extra components that would invalidate the whole point of the phone in the first place. If more components are used then overall waste wouldn't necessarily go down even if less phones are thrown away..
Quoted:
Not everyone uses the phones for the same thing. Even forcing elderly to know how to use a smartphone is a bit of n0nsense, especially because they won't need all that functionality... as well as children.

But this is a smartphone...
Though maybe you're just talking about using the tech for a "dumb"-phone.
That would be ineffiecient too though..
As I've stated before: the pricing will go up significantly and the amount of waste that is actually 'saved' is small at best.
And who the heck forces old people to use/buy smartphones? There are several kinds of cheap simple phones for people like that. I mean, an acquaintance of mine quite literally bought a phone for 10bucks not too long ago. Block-phones can impossibly compete with that..

I killed my Nexus 4 twice in 3 months, staying away from phones for a while

Wat
How the heck are you treating your phones?
You might need to get a shock-resistant IP57 or 67 phone if you break them that easily O.o
That or you need to stop failing at rooting/flashing.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide