Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

So I stopped coming here until...

Creator: Mooninites December 16, 2012 3:07pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 18, 2012 4:11pm | Report
Some time ago California instituted a program in which people could sell back their guns. I can't recall the exact numbers but the guns sold back over ~10 or so years of the program being instituted resulted in less then ~5% of the total fire arms sold/purchased in California.
There's a big difference between "could sell back" and "are legally forced to sell back". If I am allowed to sell back my laptop you can be sure as hell I won't sell it. If I am legally forced to sell back my laptop then I will. What's the point of allowing people to sell back their guns? Is that in case they got a better one now? "Man, my old glock sucks, I'm going to sell it and get something good this time". No, such thing wouldn't help one bit.

It's not a question of time, it's a question of will power. Our country is not one to give up the things we "hold dear".
It's a question of what's legal and what isn't. Australians liked their guns as well, yet they most of them still gave them back when they had to.

There's evidence that creating laws actually doesn't make people follow them. So I'll say it again "it's easy to say stricter laws would help", but in reality the ability to enforce those laws is non-existent. Consider (for example) the period in American history when alcohol was illegal. People (lots of them) were still drinking, alcohol was being made and sold, people were killed over alcohol. Making laws and an agency to enforce the law didn't work. Granted the number of people working for that Agency was like ~300 people (to enforce the law across the country). But there are more people than ever here now, what do you think would happen? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am attempting to explain why the process would be pretty damn difficult (even if we had 100 years) to actually make it considered "successful". In all possibility it would cause more difficulties than it would solve.
There's a big difference between alcohol and guns. Alcohol is harmful to yourself, guns are harmful to others. You decide when and where to get drunk, not when and where you get shot. Also, everyone knows how to make beer, I can make it at home if I want to. Making a gun is a lot harder.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 18, 2012 6:46pm | Report
Comments made specifically to be offensive / joke about a tragedy that is the topic of discussion will not be tolerated, that is why the other thread was locked to begin with. This part of the rules in particular comes to mind:

"Speak your mind, but let's talk how we do in person, when someone can reach over the table and grab you by the collar :)"

When you say something just to piss someone off who is mourning a tragedy, that would be breaking this rule.

So there's not much else to say on the topic of the discussion and many inappropriate comments were made in this thread. Therefore, I will be locking this thread. The topic of gun control laws / psychological treatment is legitimate and if you want to continue it please make another thread.
Thanks to Minho for my sig!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide