Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The PS4 vs Xbox One thread

Creator: Searz November 15, 2013 4:41am
1 2 3 4 5 6
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 4:41am | Report

So, the PS4 is finally released now, at least in some places.
And the Xbox One is pretty much finished too by now, at least the hardware is.

Looking at them both side by side, the difference is pretty damn big in size.
The Xbox One is at least twice the size of the PS4. Because not only is the box roughly double the size of the PS4 box, but the Xbox One also has an external power supply (you know those big black rectangular squares on the cables of many older consoles), while the PS4 has an internal power supply.

It remains to be seen which one has the better cooling system, but considering the fact that the PS4 is very efficient in its design and that the Xbox One will be running at higher frequencies to make up for the slower chip, I think the PS4 will have the edge there too(in sound and/or temperature).

As for the hardware specs:
Machine: PS4 | Xbox One
CPU clock: 1.6GHz | 1.75GHz
GPU clock: 800MHz | 853MHz
GPU computing units: 18 | 12
GPU Stream Processors: 1152 | 768
GPU raw computing power: 1.84 TFLOPS | 1.31 TFLOPS
Memory bandwidth: 176 GB/s | 109 GB/s

So after some spec drops I think it's pretty clear that the PS4 is a substantially more powerful device, and it will likely run cooler (i.e: quieter) because of the overclocking Microsoft is doing with the Xbox.
The overall performance difference will likely be about 10% CPU performance in favor of the Xbox One, but 50% GPU performance in favor of the PS4.
BUT there's also talk about Microsoft reserving some of the GPU and CPU power for the Kinect, which makes the already grim situation even worse...

This very large difference in GPU power will allow the PS4 games to run on a much higher resolution than the Xbox one.
Most games are said to be running native 900p on the PS4 while running 720p on the Xbox One (titles like BF4 and Ryse). Call of Duty Ghosts even takes a jump to 1080p on the PS4, vs the 720p on the Xbox One.
As we've seen with the current generation of consoles, resolution and FPS are the first two that gets sacrificed when they try to make the games run well and look pretty. While many games early on in the PS3/XB360 era were running 720p 30FPS, towards the end we were seeing many games running at abysmal 360p resolutions at 30FPS. Overall, I think we can expect to get either 1080p resolution or 720p with 60FPS on the PS4 for pretty much the lifetime of the console, while the Xbox one will probably struggle with such things and fall to 720p 30FPS.

And let's not forget the price! The PS4 comes in at 400$ while the Xbox One comes in at 500$. Considering the difference in power that is a significant difference that will certainly influence some people.

To summarize the situation, PS4 wins over the Xbox One in price, performance and size.
The only reason for gamers to get the Xbox One is the launch-window games. Other than that the PS4 is a superior machine in almost every way.
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 4:45am | Report
Change is gooooood
Picture by: VirusNG1
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 7:58am | Report
wait there was doubt over which would reign supreme?

playstation baby, all the way. microsoft can suck it.

edit: ****ing dunkey man. first youtube channel i subscribed to.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 8:07am | Report
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 8:08am | Report
i think it is going to come down to the game lineup to be honest...exclusives and ****...what games are available for what system. thanks to xbox changing so much after E3 they brought the battle a little more even. i still am on the PS side, but only sales will determine the winner. fan boys unite!

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 8:42am | Report
wait

you're telling me, that after all the evil anti-consumer policies microsoft was going to implement

they can just say 'whoops nevermind' and wave their hand and all those bad things go away and now you are going to buy an xbox one?

they were literally ready to sodomize you and you're ok with their half-***ed apology?
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 9:38am | Report
xbox probably has quite a bunch of hardcore fans and I woudn't be surprised by last minute changes by microsoft, namely regarding service.

I'm also not quite sure if microsoft are trying to steal fro Nintendo through the kinect (that has been seeing applications in engineering, as far as I know).

Sig made by elenah
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 9:43am | Report
caucheka wrote:

wait

you're telling me, that after all the evil anti-consumer policies microsoft was going to implement

they can just say 'whoops nevermind' and wave their hand and all those bad things go away and now you are going to buy an xbox one?

they were literally ready to sodomize you and you're ok with their half-***ed apology?

never said i accepted their BS, but i know a lot of people did.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 10:53am | Report
its still ******ed that people are ok with it now.
Bludes
<Member>
Bludes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2013 11:13am | Report

I was going to post this <<
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide