Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The PS4 vs Xbox One thread

Creator: Searz November 15, 2013 4:41am
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 1:48pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Handhelds are still, IMO, worth buying if you like 'em. I've loving the **** out of my 3DS.

Eeeeeh, I consider a good smartphone or tablet to completely fill any handheld gaming need I have.
Handheld gaming as we've known it in the past is likely gonna consolidate with the smartphone market over the next few years.
For games that don't play well with a touchscreen there will always be bluetooth controllers. Heck, I can even plug my Xbox360 controller into my tablet or phone and play games. I have like 20 N64 games on my tablet that I can play with my controller if I'm bored.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 2:08pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Eeeeeh, I consider a good smartphone or tablet to completely fill any handheld gaming need I have.
Handheld gaming as we've known it in the past is likely gonna consolidate with the smartphone market over the next few years.

Unless something changes, I don't know. I can play real video games on a handheld, in the way plural, and that just isn't available on smartphones right now. Especially not in the variety of genres that are viable on more standard control schemes. My phone is fine for when I'm on the toilet, but there's not terribly much that can compare with 3DS titles like Shin Megami Tensei VI, for example.

Searz wrote:

For games that don't play well with a touchscreen there will always be bluetooth controllers. Heck, I can even plug my Xbox360 controller into my tablet or phone and play games. I have like 20 N64 games on my tablet that I can play with my controller if I'm bored.

I'm... Not sure. The PC market hasn't killed consoles, in spite of the obvious advantages our glorious master race has over those lesser console gamers. I don't think that a competing market is going to end handheld console gaming any time soon, as long as handheld consoles continue to be able to secure (at least relatively) exclusive rights to games that people want to play. Besides that handhelds, as it stands, are generally both cheaper and easier to use than comparatively powerful gaming alternatives, and my understanding of both tablets and smartphones doesn't suggest that is going to change immediately.

Also, the 3DS has a bunch of fun JRPGs, and I'm a sucker for fun JRPGs. Etrian Odyssey 4 ate my very soul.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 2:35pm | Report
>smartphone and tablets for games

opinion invalidated.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 3:53pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Unless something changes, I don't know. I can play real video games on a handheld, in the way plural, and that just isn't available on smartphones right now. Especially not in the variety of genres that are viable on more standard control schemes. My phone is fine for when I'm on the toilet, but there's not terribly much that can compare with 3DS titles like Shin Megami Tensei VI, for example.

You mean that the smartphone market is lacking in quantity of good hardcore games by that mention of plural?
I definitely agree. The quantity of 'proper' games on the smartphone/tablet side of things is very small, but I don't spend enough time playing to exhaust the games that are good on the platform, so it's no biggie for me.
Besides, there's emulation if you do run out. N64 emulators work nearly flawlessly and I think there are even decent NDS emulators for Android now.
Quoted:
I don't think that a competing market is going to end handheld console gaming any time soon, as long as handheld consoles continue to be able to secure (at least relatively) exclusive rights to games that people want to play. Besides that handhelds, as it stands, are generally both cheaper and easier to use than comparatively powerful gaming alternatives, and my understanding of both tablets and smartphones doesn't suggest that is going to change immediately.

That depends entirely on what you define as 'soon'.
I think smartphones/tablets are going to take over hardcore handheld gaming over the next 5-10 years. Not completely, but to the level of consisting of the majority.
I think it'll be the same thing with PC gaming quite frankly. 5-10 years for a majority market share.
Quoted:
Also, the 3DS has a bunch of fun JRPGs, and I'm a sucker for fun JRPGs. Etrian Odyssey 4 ate my very soul.

Squenix is releasing a bunch of their RPGs onto Android and iOS. I think they even made one or two mobile exclusive RPGs.
I've got the FF3 remake on my tablet. It's a very good remake with menus and combat properly tailored for touch. TBS games in general work amazingly well on touch. Which is why we're seeing games like XCOM taking the leap to mobile.
caucheka wrote:

>smartphone and tablets for games

opinion invalidated.

Gee Cau, what a well formulated and intelligent comment you made there.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 5:47pm | Report
Try playing Super Mario on your Smartphone/tablet whatsover....
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 5:56pm | Report
Darcurse wrote:

Try playing Super Mario on your Smartphone/tablet whatsover....

Why would that not work?..

Don't bring your ignorant *** in here if you clearly have no idea of what you're writing..
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 6:10pm | Report
yeah you can play games with emulators on your smartphone but then youre stuck with a touchscreen or a bluetooth controller, and if youre using the controller you might as well just play it on a computer instead, and i dont know about you guys but touchscreens annoying me and is the main reason i dont play games on my ipod, id rather not have my fingers get in the way of the screen while im playing
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 9:18pm | Report
Both systems suck. The games for both systems are terrible. Do yourself a favor and jump on a spiked fence.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 9:32pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Both systems suck. The games for both systems are terrible. Do yourself a favor and jump on a spiked fence.

don't tell me how to live my life!!!

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2013 10:08pm | Report
PC 4 me
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide