Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Valve to release PC "console"

Creator: Searz December 13, 2012 12:15pm
Do you want the "Steambox" to run Linux?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2012 11:01am | Report
Canoas wrote:

Please show us valve's controller and explain why it's unfit to play certain games.
Oh wait, you can't? You have no clue what valve's controller is? So you're just speaking out of your *** then? Oh, how surprising.
Some time ago Gabe Newell was looking into all kinds of peripherals. I even remember something about a tongue controller. No one can say what kind of controller valve will use.

Also, it seems you still don't understand what a console is. I seriously urge you to go check it out.

I think you're misunderstanding him (which is very understandable with the amount of sense he's making --.--).
I think he's talking about games without controller support and how they won't get it, which is pretty damn obvious if you use your brain (>.>).
Only games made or ported for the system will work with the control scheme. You can't expect to be able to play a game on console with a mouse+keyboard and vice-versa.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2012 4:56pm | Report
That's why I call him the "Can't read" guy.

I do make a lot of sense and just to straighten that out, since it seems like you did misunderstand sth or didn't state it clearly enough:

The fact that some games can't get a miracle controller support (vice versa for mouse+keyboard ofc) is simply because THERE GENRE DOESN'T ALLOW IT:
You can't play your normal strategy/RTS game with a controller and can't play a Beat'Em Up with a keyboard! (You can, but I guess you get the point)

Just as an example: You maybe got Dark Souls as it got ported to PC/Steam?
You tried to play it with your keyboard ? (excluding that the ported controls are horrible set to begin with)

You seem to be one of the few ppl who really believe that this would be "revolutionary".
For me it's a downgraded pc (yeah yeah, every console is a downgraded pc) doing the things every pc does, it will neither improve pc ports in any way nor put Linux on a sudden upwind, plus I don't even have half of the problems you describe (CDs/DVDs dafuq's that???)

You shouldn't mix the release of a pc - console with your problem about buggy Windows and how good Linux would be, just saying.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2012 5:19pm | Report
Searz wrote:
I think he's talking about games without controller support and how they won't get it, which is pretty damn obvious if you use your brain (>.>).
Once again, consoles are nothing new. The limitations of a console IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE. The moment someone mentions a console you know what those limitations are. Consoles use controllers, not mouse and keyboard. That is known. There have been released exactly 132 consoles so far, it's nothing new. Everyone knows that games need to be ported for consoles and their controls need to be changed. It's common knowledge.

Darcurse wrote:
That's why I call him the "Can't read" guy.
I do make a lot of sense
Looool. No, you don't make any sense. WHAT YOU SAY APPLIES TO EVERY ****ING CONSOLE. "OMG a computer for a living room to connect to your tv? What a stupid idea!!!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii
The idea isn't anything new, IT ALREADY EXISTS! CONSOLES ARE POPULAR! The fact that you fail to understand this is mind-boggling. Even my grandmother knows what a PS3 is and she lives in the middle of fcking nowhere.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 3:35am | Report
Darcurse wrote:

The fact that some games can't get a miracle controller support (vice versa for mouse+keyboard ofc) is simply because THERE GENRE DOESN'T ALLOW IT:
You can't play your normal strategy/RTS game with a controller and can't play a Beat'Em Up with a keyboard! (You can, but I guess you get the point)
Just as an example: You maybe got Dark Souls as it got ported to PC/Steam?
You tried to play it with your keyboard ? (excluding that the ported controls are horrible set to begin with)

Nice of you to clarify. What you said was very unclear.
Well, there's obviously gonna be an optimal controller for every game. But the games sold FOR the "Steambox" will obviously work well with a controller. Have you ever seen a console release a game that doesn't work properly with their controller?..
Even if Dark Souls is one of the worst ports ever, the PC is such a versatile platform that it was made playable anyway. You can use pretty much any controller on a PC (it won't take long until you're able to use the Wii U controller with your PC).
Quoted:
You seem to be one of the few ppl who really believe that this would be "revolutionary".
For me it's a downgraded pc (yeah yeah, every console is a downgraded pc) doing the things every pc does, it will neither improve pc ports in any way nor put Linux on a sudden upwind, plus I don't even have half of the problems you describe (CDs/DVDs dafuq's that???)

Then you clearly do not understand how the world works.
All the things I've said COULD happen and it's not unlikely that they will.
Optical media will die regardless, but the "Steambox" will probably speed up its' demise.
Quoted:
You shouldn't mix the release of a pc - console with your problem about buggy Windows and how good Linux would be, just saying.

This makes no sense. Please clarify.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 3:43am | Report
Canoas wrote:

Once again, consoles are nothing new. The limitations of a console IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE. The moment someone mentions a console you know what those limitations are. Consoles use controllers, not mouse and keyboard. That is known. There have been released exactly 132 consoles so far, it's nothing new. Everyone knows that games need to be ported for consoles and their controls need to be changed. It's common knowledge.

Yes, exactly. I do not understand how that isn't clear to Darcurse...
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 6:12am | Report
@Searz
correct me if I'm wrong, but it simply sounds like your biggest gain in this is Linux and not a "pc for the living room"- thing.

@Canoas
Yep, still the "Can't read" guy.
Dunno what your fixiation is about, but if you still believe that I don't know abotu consoles or that anysthing I talked about has anything to do with it.. well be able to read is a bliss.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 7:27am | Report
Darcurse wrote:
@Canoas
Yep, still the "Can't read" guy.
Dunno what your fixiation is about, but if you still believe that I don't know abotu consoles or that anysthing I talked about has anything to do with it.. well be able to read is a bliss.

If you know what a console is and you still make that argument then there's surely something wrong with your head. Like I've said before, there have been exactly 132 gaming consoles so far, they're not something new to the market. You are not providing any new insight by saying some games are better played with a mouse+keyboard, it's common knowledge. Everyone who has played on a console knows this, and you can be sure that a company like Valve knows what kind of games can be played on a console and what it costs to optimize and port them. It's breath-taking that you think you're so special that you're the first person to realize RTS are better left for PC. Consoles aren't anything new, EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID SO FAR APPLIES TO ALL CONSOLES, not just valve's. And yet, consoles are extremely popular, both PS3 and Xbox 360 sold over 70 million copies each and Wii has sold 100 million. And every single fcking person who bought one of those consoles knows WHAT A REMOTE IS AND WHAT CAN AND CAN'T BE PLAYED WITH IT. Is that so hard to realise? Is it? Seriously, I just feel like punching you in the face repeatedly. No one has made such a moronic post since Slappiz (I think that was his name) disappeared. Congratulations, that surely deserves an award.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 10:32am | Report
Darcurse wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong, but it simply sounds like your biggest gain in this is Linux and not a "pc for the living room"- thing.

Yes. That is correct.

But all of those things are still rather large for the gaming industry and it's customers.
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 1:14pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Please show us valve's controller and explain why it's unfit to play certain games.

first, as already stated, a controller similar in use to a console is unfit to play rts games, except in certain cases where the game is designed with the controller in mind. (brutal legend anyone?)

second, here is some images from valve's controller patent.

I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2012 1:38pm | Report
What Caucheka quoted.

If I'm not "providing any new insight by saying some games are better played with a mouse+keyboard" than don't ask stuff like "Please show us valve's controller and explain why it's unfit to play certain games."

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide