Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ezreal: AD, AP, or Hybrid?

Creator: Delandel March 6, 2011 10:56am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 12 16
Delandel
<Member>
Delandel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 10:56am | Report
Question to all you Ezreal veterans and math'y people: which Ezreal build is the best?
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 11:03am | Report
With the recent buff to AD Ezreal's Trueshot Barrage (now scales in addition to AP at .9, a 1 to 1 ratio with his AD) I'd probably build him AD.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 11:09am | Report
Ezreal, in the dawn of his day (i've only heard stories of such a time), was an incredible AP champion who could hands-down dominate any game he was in. After some nerfs, he was considered garbage. After a while, people played him and realized he wasn't so bad as an AD champions (due to his passive and the utility of his AP-scaling spells).

At this time, he could be played slightly better AD than AP, but hybrid was an uncommon (but personally I think better) option that was rarely used.

With the recent buff, making his ultimate scale off of AD, playing him AP or hybrid would be about as viable as AP tristana.

So, in short, play AD now.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 11:14am | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

Ezreal, in the dawn of his day (i've only heard stories of such a time), was an incredible AP champion who could hands-down dominate any game he was in. After some nerfs, he was considered garbage. After a while, people played him and realized he wasn't so bad as an AD champions (due to his passive and the utility of his AP-scaling spells).

At this time, he could be played slightly better AD than AP, but hybrid was an uncommon (but personally I think better) option that was rarely used.

With the recent buff, making his ultimate scale off of AD, playing him AP or hybrid would be about as viable as AP tristana.

I'll be honest, this summarizes exactly what i was thinking at the time when I posted.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 1:56pm | Report
AD is the way to go now. He was never very good as hybrid, AP was always a tad bit superior.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 4:25pm | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

Good times ='(

summed up well
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 11:46pm | Report
Even with the new 1:1 AD scaling ratio the question remains the same.

Answer yourself a question, ho do you deal damage as an Ezreal.

Do you rely more on your skillshots, and spell combos, or do you rely more on your standard attack and you use spells as a bonus and AS booster.

In most scenarios ppl tend to go AD (coz he is easier) but play him like AP using only skills.

Still LB paired with Q will deal more damage than your Q on AD build. And if you rely on this spell mostly... than it doesnt give you much info how to play him.

4 Spells that scale of AP >>> 2 spells that scale with AD.

His standard attack is way to close range to be viable in competitive games imho.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
ShadowReign757
<Member>
ShadowReign757's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 11:59pm | Report
DEWO wrote:

Even with the new 1:1 AD scaling ratio the question remains the same.

Answer yourself a question, ho do you deal damage as an Ezreal.

Do you rely more on your skillshots, and spell combos, or do you rely more on your standard attack and you use spells as a bonus and AS booster.

In most scenarios ppl tend to go AD (coz he is easier) but play him like AP using only skills.

Still LB paired with Q will deal more damage than your Q on AD build. And if you rely on this spell mostly... than it doesnt give you much info how to play him.

4 Spells that scale of AP >>> 2 spells that scale with AD.

His standard attack is way to close range to be viable in competitive games imho.

I agree, Just adding a simple Lich Bane will boost your damage significantly, so AP will always be how I play him. AD has some things better, but I'm a long time AP fan.

Some people might say "Why would you build him AP?". Well, why would you go AP Yi, or AP Cho'Gath? Just because you prefer one thing, it doesn't make the other bad. Yi is traditionally an AD, and Cho is traditionally a tank, just as Ezreal is traditionally an AD. Playing him the other way isn't bad, just not as common. And since most people that try Ezreal for the first time build him AD, a lot of times they automatically assume that AP is bad.

I look at it like this: 4 AP abilities combined with Lich Bane is better IMHO, but makes you more of a burst champion. And since you have short range anyway, your too close to the battle to deal sustained auto-attack damage considering how squishy you are. Too close for me, anyway. You may argue saying "Well Yi is squishy too, but he is AD". He does more damage faster, therefore giving him the better chance.

I don't know, I think they both have their pros and cons, and I refuse to tell you "Use this one because it's better than this one". I highly recommend you try both AD and AP and see what suits your playstyle the best.

As for Hybrid, well, that's a whole different story.

History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 1:21am | Report
DEWO wrote:

Still LB paired with Q will deal more damage than your Q on AD build.

It's about equal to a good AD build. Trust me, I've done the calculations.

Quoted:

Ezreal's range is equal to many great carries that are frequently used in high elo play.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 5:03am | Report
Am I missing something? 4 skills that scale on AP? As far as I know, his Q and R scale off of AD, and his innate affects his auto-attacks. Only his W and his E scale off of AP, as far as I know.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 12 16

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide