Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Hello, I've been playing a lot of Malphite...

Creator: Considereth October 15, 2010 2:11pm
1 2
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 2:11pm | Report
Hello, I've been playing Malphite for about 2 weeks or so now. I've had great success with him but I've also had my share of bad games and am wondering if it is because of my poor choice of items at the beginning of the game with Malphite seeing as he is very dependent on a good early game from what I've found.

The three items of debate to start rushing with Malphite:

Aegis of the legion
18 Armor, 270 Health, 24 Magic Resist. UNIQUE Aura: +12 Armor / +15 Magic Resistance / +8 Damage to nearby allied units.

Aegis of the legion is great for team support. Good aura and 18 Armor, 270 Health, 24 Magic Resist for myself. Start with Ruby Crystal, one of the best early laning items, and then upgrade to Aegis of the legion once I got enough gold. But I've really would rather get this later on after I've completed frozen heart or Randuin Omen.

Randuin's Omen
90 Armor, 300 Health, 25 Health Per 5 Sec. UNIQUE Passive: 15% Cooldown Reduction and 20% chance on being hit to slow the attacker's movement and attack speeds by 25% for 3 seconds. UNIQUE Active: Slows movement speeds and attack speeds of surrounding units by 35% for 2 seconds + 0.5 seconds for each 100 Armor and Magic Resist. 60 second cooldown.

verses

Frozen Heart
99 Armor, 500 Mana. UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 25% and reduces the attack speed of nearby enemies by 20%.

Both provide cooldown reduction which is great on Malphite, especially because his unstoppable force is on such a large cooldown. They also have good auras to stack with ground slam. Frozen Heart has mana which is useful with Malphite but lately I've become better at managing Malphite mana making it less useful compare to the 300 health plus 25 per sec regeneration. Malphite doesn't have that much base health, for example:

Master Yi - 1992 base health at lvl 18

verse

Malphite - 1899 base health at lvl 18

As such, high hit point items are very good on Malphite as he fits into the tank role usually. Granted he does have his passive, Granite Shield but still. The overall recipe on Randuin is better in my opinion as I could start with Ruby Crystal in the lane, my preferred first item, and then upgrade to Heart of gold to help me generate more gold while upgrading to Randuin.

Anyways, thoughts? I've been rushing frozen heart mostly but am now considering Randuin's Omen the better item to get overall.

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
Chaotic Bliss
<Member>
Chaotic Bliss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 7:56pm | Report
Personally I would build Aegis first. You are tanknig but if you are in lane with a phsyical dmg champ, they will benefit from it. Not to mention it is a fairly cheap item to make. It will benefit you and your mates if you get this early and not mid or late games.

After that Id make Randuins. There isnt a lot of AS early and if someone is feed there might be some mid game. That said Frozen Heart I woulc make last. Randuin's might be a lil more expensive, but it will be worth it.

Frozen Heart is a great item, but I think its more situtational. Yes the passive stats are nice, but I think there is a time and place for it

Links below lead to victory. Choose your path

Pillars of Justice

Seeds of Chaos

Open your minds

Skype me at: chaotic_bliss1
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 7:58pm | Report

Personally I would build Aegis first. You are tanknig but if you are in lane with a phsyical dmg champ, they will benefit from it. Not to mention it is a fairly cheap item to make. It will benefit you and your mates if you get this early and not mid or late games.

After that Id make Randuins. There isnt a lot of AS early and if someone is feed there might be some mid game. That said Frozen Heart I woulc make last. Randuin's might be a lil more expensive, but it will be worth it.

Frozen Heart is a great item, but I think its more situtational. Yes the passive stats are nice, but I think there is a time and place for it

That's about right. Don't forget to get a Banshee's or FoN for them casters.

DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2010 4:47am | Report
Imho its Aegis->Frozen(or at least Glacial) and than go for Either Force/Thorn.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Considereth
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2010 7:30am | Report
Sounds reasonable, ok so Aegis of the legion first! ^^ Thanks! I'll report back and tell you all how it goes, might even post a video Lol. :)

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
Volgue
<Member>
Volgue's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2010 2:47pm | Report
I usually just skip Aegis altogether and go for something with a bit more defence. That's just me, though.
Oberron
<Member>
Oberron's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2010 11:17am | Report
I play a LOT of Malphite and usually start off with Warden->FoN->Heart->Warmog. now, this was before Warmog was changed, and I have been reluctant to change my order, but I will need to.
Considereth
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 7:03pm | Report
Have you guys ever consider maxing out Seismic Shards before Ground Slam? I've been doing so recently and with much better success. The damage on Seismic Shards is extremely good early-mid. I've been netting a lot more kills as a result. The speed and movement decrease helps land ground-slam much better as well.

Anyways, indeed. I've been slacking heart of golds lately as well with some success. I haven't really looked into Warmog too much, I should do some research on it. :)

Mostly just Heart of gold into mercury treads follow by Glacial. After that, I've been building according.

B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 7:40pm | Report
I always do Shard before slam ;P
I got bored a game or two and I just get either a Randuin's Omen, Banshee's Veil, or Guardian Angel (depending on team comp) before boots even and I've done pretty damn good 7/2/11 and 8/1/17 (estimates) You could try that if you want :p

Chaotic Bliss
<Member>
Chaotic Bliss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2010 6:10am | Report
Personally I like to take Slam over shard. I like to farm waves of creeps, and that in its own right is harassment. Take a wave out fast and the enemy has to back pedal to avoid getting smashed. Now if you can clear a wave, get a shard off, and Ult the target you are good. Even better is if you have smart mates. That helps a lot too

Links below lead to victory. Choose your path

Pillars of Justice

Seeds of Chaos

Open your minds

Skype me at: chaotic_bliss1
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide