Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

I think Yorick is seriously underplayed right now.

Creator: bitpik May 29, 2014 11:13am
1 2 3
bitpik
<Member>
bitpik's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2014 11:13am | Report

Yo, i am an avid toplaner who enjoys the gimmicky and underrated champs (right now i play a lot of Brand top when i get the chance for example). So when i saw Dominus Arts and his Yorick stats i was both impressed and happy because not only did it prove that Yorick was an ok champion, but it also proved that he had great viability in all stages of soloqueue. But how could his win-rate be so high? It's because he only picks him when he sees a good opportunity. Champs like Irelia and Renekton should beat Yorick every time, so what is Yorick actually good for?

Brief history of Yorick and Yorick vs Elise

This season, the tanks first made a huge appearence because of the defense tree being broken. People looked to counter these tanks, and new champions who are amazing at 1v1'ing such as Ryze and Kayle emerged, especially since they don't even loose much if they die to ganks because of the super short cooldown on teleport when used on towers. This means that both of these champions are frequently played and even blindpicked in soloqueue.

Now the good thing about this is that all of these poke-heavy mages work similarly to Elise. There is for example simply nothing Ryze can do about your Omen of Famine. Kayle is a little harder, but you still have a big upper-hand if you avoid being ganked well enough.

Don't want to play toplane? Play Yorick mid against stuff like Nidalee and dominate her.

Here is a list of things that Yorick ***** on:

Now i really think its important to point out that he counters Kayle since he's the ONLY thing that counters her at the moment. Yorick beats both AP and AD Nidalee.

Some tips:

• I like starting either Crystalline Flask(ranged lanes, easy lanes and Rumble) or Cloth Armor.
  • Play defensively against things like Kayle. Literally all you need to do in order to win trades is by passively farming without taking too much damage and then poking her with Omen of Famine(preferably not when you have full health most of the time). If she goes melee with you, show her the pain of quadruple penetration. This exact playstyle goes vs AD Nidalee aswell.
  • Play defensively and don't get killed by ganks EVER if you can avoid it. Don't be too hesitant to use Flash since it isn't needed 1v1(you won't be able to kill and shouldn't be killed).
  • I max R > E > Q > W. I almost always go 21-9, otherwise its 9-21. I go for standard AD runes. I always go for Tear as fast as possible and i follow that with items depending on matchup. The items that are good to take afterwards are:

[*]Vs AP Lane and AP heavy team: Hexdrinker, Ionian Boots of Lucidity and Spectre's Cowl.
[*]Vs AP lane: Hexdrinker, Ionian Boots of Lucidity and Manamune.
[*]Vs Bursty AD: Glacial Shroud and Manamune.
[*[Vs Irelia and Jax: Warden's Mail and Manamune.

Now i know this looks messy right now but i will fix problems if i find them.

I am currently diamond 1 and challenger 5v5 and so far i've gone 4-0 with Yorick.
I was born nude but now i am dude
Dychronius
<Member>
Dychronius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 8:41am | Report
Yorick beats everyone. He does it in such a way that rito considers it toxic and has removed him from the free rotation. And he'll get a rework soon™.

Do do do dee do do do
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 9:01am | Report
I think Yorick is actually being played too much. In an ideal world, a grand total of 0 summoners would be playing him :3

@ Dychronius if that were true, people would be playing him more. He loses to Irelia and Renekton (both relatively popular picks), as bitpik mentioned.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 9:11am | Report
yeah let's be honest, unless yorick is never played he isn't being underplayed

**** that guy

pls don't make him gain popularity
bitpik
<Member>
bitpik's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 9:44am | Report
Khazem wrote:

yeah let's be honest, unless yorick is never played he isn't being underplayed

**** that guy

pls don't make him gain popularity

You of all people should love playing against him as Riven
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 9:52am | Report
Can we not necro Yorick please? Seriously, the only reason I'd tolerate him is if he's being picked against an enemy Kayle and manages to rape her, since Kayle is the single most hateful champion on the game ever.
bitpik
<Member>
bitpik's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 10:26am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

Can we not necro Yorick please? Seriously, the only reason I'd tolerate him is if he's being picked against an enemy Kayle and manages to rape her, since Kayle is the single most hateful champion on the game ever.

Personally i hate playing against things like AD Nidalee, Ryze and Kayle a lot more than playing against Yorick. Those three champions are just so incredibly strong 1v1 and infuriating to play against. Now i can finally counter them if they are firstpicked thanks to my bby Yorick.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2014 12:48pm | Report
Yorick just feels so...mindless. It's ghouls everywhere for no reason. Bah.
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
LMaverick
<Member>
LMaverick's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2014 7:34pm | Report
I always thought about buying yorick but he just seemed so boring, and I never seemed to lose against a yorick but then again im in like silver elo :P also do you have any videos of yorick against kayle I'd be interested to look at it.

Thank you Natuhlee for the Awesome sig
Check out my Pantheon guide!
+1 rep me if you found me helpful or if you just want to ;D
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2014 7:39pm | Report
I like playing Yorick. (*Surprise*)
Still waiting for the reworks to hit and see hows his situation after.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide