Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Offense or utility jungling. (speed vs utility)

Creator: Searz May 11, 2011 7:53am
1 2
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 7:53am | Report
I just recently decided to try switching masteries on a few of the champions I usually specc offense/utility on when I jungle.

On Nocturne for example I used 16/3/11 before.
Then I tried 1/8/21 and the only difference was that it slowed down my jungling by 10seconds. And I use a long path.
I finish Stonewall's path at 05:10 with offensive masteries and 05:20 with utility both with Vampiric Scepter. After realizing this I don't find offensive masteries worth it on Nocturne.

Warwick may be another matter entirely though. I can do blue to golems (short path) in 04:07 with 17/0/13 and 9/0/21 in 04:21. Both starting with Long Sword.
14sec is a pretty decent amount of time for a short path.

Stonewall's path is cleared in 05:40 with offense and 05:43 with utility.

Runes are 15ArP and 10%AS with CDR glyphs and armor seals.

Is is the small increase in jungling speed worth the loss in utility?

Do post any similar comparisons of other junglers you might have. I would like it if you had all the runes though.

Also; in runes. I noticed that 10ArP had about the same end time (2-3sec slower most of the time) as 15ArP with the same masteries. So I think 15-21ArP is the amount to shoot for with most junglers. Unless they have a special need of AS or something ofc.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Melarith
<Member>
Melarith's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 9:58am | Report
I'd say 17/0/13 over 9/0/21, mainly because you still enjoy the most important parts in the tree, which is increased buff duration and experience gain. Additionally, those 14 seconds is the difference between loosing half your jungle to an apt counter-jungler like Nunu, or keeping it.

That would apply for almost all junglers, except those who snowball very well (Akali, Cho'gath, Yi, Nocturne, Renekton, and Udyr), since they can recover from a counter easily because of their snowball ability.
The purpose of Shen is to flip out and kill people.
- Phreak
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 6:18pm | Report
I usually use utility when I can unless defensive runes are better for later on or offensive runes are necessary for the jungle completion. Shaco, for example, has a difficult time finishing his jungle at high health without a full 21 in offense (20/0/10 loses you about one-two more Lizard hits, IIRC).

TheOddOne goes 1/8/21 on Nocturne/Olaf, for example.
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 7:27pm | Report
Yeah, I've started running utility on Nocturne and it works pretty well. The utility tree is just too op right now that even on tanks it's usually better.

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 1:38am | Report
Wow my jungle Akali clears the jungle in 4:38 and that's taking an extra double golem camp down.

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 2:13am | Report

I usually use utility when I can unless defensive runes are better for later on or offensive runes are necessary for the jungle completion. Shaco, for example, has a difficult time finishing his jungle at high health without a full 21 in offense (20/0/10 loses you about one-two more Lizard hits, IIRC).

You say runes where it supposed to say masteries :P
I'll have to start jungling Shaco to see.

Quoted:
TheOddOne goes 1/8/21 on Nocturne/Olaf, for example.

0/9/21 is probably the strongest mastery setup for mana users right now. Even junglers use it (with 1 point in offense ofc).
I'm one of the pioneers ^_^
Have been using it for a long time on Urgot (almost a year now) and now people are catching on. (probably not because of me, but still :3 )
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 5:05am | Report
id have to quote oddone and say that utility is tops if you can get a decent jungling time without it
1-8-21>0-9-21 imo because the improved smite does come in handy (more gold=MORE POwER) and lower cd really helps your jungling/(mainly counterjungling).
greez sam
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 7:06am | Report
--.-- sam..

Read the comment again..
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 9:45am | Report
i wasnt contradicting you^^
i was just backing you up by stating my own opinion and some explanation to why i prefer utility over offense
^^
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 12, 2011 10:27am | Report
samgoeslol wrote:

1-8-21>0-9-21 imo because the improved smite does come in handy (more gold=MORE POwER) and lower cd really helps your jungling/(mainly counterjungling).

In this part of your comment it's clear that you missed a part or simply misread my comment.
Or was it not directed at me? I did say this in my comment too tho.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide