Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What The Yi?

Creator: Delandel March 22, 2011 2:09pm
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 9:56am | Report
Searz you should try a trinity on yi, it gives him everything he needs, and provides him with a steady and efficient build up. However I will take your suggestion of Youmuu into consideration (I should test it out). Thanks :D!

Either way people build champions differently, its been working amazing for me and a couple of friends...so I advise you guys to try it, I know it sounds bloody insane but it works.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 10:55am | Report
I won't try it since I don't play Yi, but trust me when I say; TF is at best a decent item. There are better items.

Ghostblade+PD>2PD because you get more damage. But it's up to you.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 11:44am | Report
Dante i've played more games with Yi than you probably have total games played.
TF isnt vital at all. If you want that Alpha strike -> melee + proc boosted damage you can easily do it by watching your 7 stacks passive. It works 10 times better than TF proc since it scales with AD AND bonus AD (not only from base AD) it can crit, and so on. Apart from that proc you get a slow from phage... well useless when you can move 10x faster than your enemies anyway, and if you want more mobility get Exhaust, that will also lower the armor of your target and "blind" him. or even get Yoyo... i dont like that on Yi but it is an option.
AP boost is marginal... even with 1:1 scaling ratio from Alpha Strike.
And for sure you dont need AS/Crit from Zeal when you buy 2 PD's anyway.

So all in all whatever Searz said is true in my eyes, and i can only add that you will be quite squishy on that build not even considering you dont have any lifesteal at all untill realy lategame. And all that CrC is wasted becouse you dont get IE...

We are not saying that this doesnt work. I am a believer that gear is 10% of what your stats look like and 90% is the player skill so if you are getting those scores with Yi, that means you are quite skilled player, so keep up the good work but give it a thought.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 12:34pm | Report
About the trinity force:

No, don't get it. Even if the damage boost proc were worth it, you can't use any of your skills every 3 seconds to get consistent procs and it's over 4000 gold.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 12:53pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I sincerely doubt that top elo players play Yi with TF unless they are trolling. TF is however I look at it a stupid item to buy on Yi. His cooldowns are way too long to allow more than one proc per fight and skill. The whole resetting CDs on kill thing might make it decent, but it relies 100% on kills for damage and that seems kinda stupid..

You should probably replace the TF with IE and one PD with Ghostblade. You need one source of ArP to maximize your damage. The active on Ghostblade also has perfect synergy with your ult.

+1
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 10:51pm | Report
DEWO wrote:

Dante i've played more games with Yi than you probably have total games played.
TF isnt vital at all. If you want that Alpha strike -> melee + proc boosted damage you can easily do it by watching your 7 stacks passive. It works 10 times better than TF proc since it scales with AD AND bonus AD (not only from base AD) it can crit, and so on. Apart from that proc you get a slow from phage... well useless when you can move 10x faster than your enemies anyway, and if you want more mobility get Exhaust, that will also lower the armor of your target and "blind" him. or even get Yoyo... i dont like that on Yi but it is an option.
AP boost is marginal... even with 1:1 scaling ratio from Alpha Strike.
And for sure you dont need AS/Crit from Zeal when you buy 2 PD's anyway.

So all in all whatever Searz said is true in my eyes, and i can only add that you will be quite squishy on that build not even considering you dont have any lifesteal at all untill realy lategame. And all that CrC is wasted becouse you dont get IE...

We are not saying that this doesnt work. I am a believer that gear is 10% of what your stats look like and 90% is the player skill so if you are getting those scores with Yi, that means you are quite skilled player, so keep up the good work but give it a thought.

First of all thanks for the compliments DEWO, tbh you and your build inspired me alot to play Yi and even join mobafire. "Alpha strike -> melee + proc boosted damage you can easily do it by watching your 7 stacks passive." exactly, I love that burst... and I love abusing it.. The "sheen" effect, after you alpha strike combined with that proc just boosts your damage A.L.O.T! Alpha Q (lololol)+ wuju + proc + sheen = burst.

Exhaust has a reasonably long cooldownn so I prefer to go with an inbuilt phage to secure my kill with the slow effect AND give me Health for my squishiness. The crit and movement speed boost from trinity force also boosts your damage and mobility. Since yi is really squishy having more health and mana is always good. I know some of you will talk about yi getting the blue buff but at times the teams mages will need it more than you.

Trinity force is a powerful item, that I believe is extremely under-rated.. it has a good build up so I get it by mid game.. and because Yi is such a great farmer, getting wriggles - boots then a trinity force can be done very quickly... and soon after getting a phantom dancer for a ton of damage..

anyways.. fun theory craft.. ill try out some recommendations later.. Infinity edge is an item that I hate because of the cost... is it really worth it? Ill still be the squishest thing out there and most teams will just focus me as soon as they see me... I lack alot of surv :(
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2011 3:50am | Report
Just remember that Shen/TF ignores anything.. it just takes your base AD without masteries/wuju/items and so on... so it is not that usefull compared to the damage you deal anyway.

We are not saying that TF is a bad item. We are just saying that it is not the best item for Yi.

For the cost of 4000g you can get an IE... which will be 10x better choice than whole TF on this particular champion...
TF - 4070g
IE - 4080g

10g diference but still you think that IE is extremaly costy and TF isnt? It is about the parts. TF consists alot of small pieces, IE 3 big ones.

Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2011 4:19am | Report
DEWO have you tried AS yi instead of crit?

Wits End->Zerks/mercs->Madred's Bloodrazor->Frozen Mallet->Banshee's->GA

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2011 4:39am | Report
I usualy swap to that kind of playstyle when whole enemy team gets thornmails coz they fed me :/

I go with Stark->Bloodrazor->SotD

ofc stark could be swapped for Malady or Wits end.

Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2011 5:48am | Report
Wtb a yi game with DEWO, so I can actually see a good yi with infinity edge being played.. until now I havnt seen one :(!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide