Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

This build has been archived and is for historical display only

This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.

We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.


x
Not Updated For Current Season

This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page

x

Irelia Build Guide by emoriam

AD Offtank Season 5 - A Guide to Irelia Top Lane

AD Offtank Season 5 - A Guide to Irelia Top Lane

Updated on March 29, 2015
9.8
168
Votes
9
Vote Vote
League of Legends Build Guide Author emoriam Build Guide By emoriam 168 9 2,448,437 Views 132 Comments
168 9 2,448,437 Views 132 Comments League of Legends Build Guide Author emoriam Irelia Build Guide By emoriam Updated on March 29, 2015
x
Did this guide help you? If so please give them a vote or leave a comment. You can even win prizes by doing so!
Vote
Comment

You must be logged in to comment. Please login or register.

I liked this Guide
I didn't like this Guide
Commenting is required to vote!
Would you like to add a comment to your vote?

Thank You!

Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.

New Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

1
emoriam (287) | November 8, 2014 12:47pm
@NorthernRedStar

I guess I won't be able to spend time on working on the guide today anymore .. maybe tomorrow, maybe I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the review and man, please - I'm writing "Hit Points" because I'm German and capitalizing is the only thing I like in the German grammar :D
1
NorthernRedStar (82) | November 8, 2014 12:39pm
Spoiler: Click to view


I hope that doesn't sound overly negative. The biggest negative for me was the grammar, and that can be fixed quite easily. Hope I was able to help with something. This was written before reading any other comments.
1
emoriam (287) | September 21, 2014 1:10am

I love this guide!, thank you

Thanks ^_^
1
Loophophora | September 20, 2014 2:54pm
I love this guide!, thank you
1
Vynertje (386) | August 9, 2014 9:30am
emoriam wrote:


Pretty easy because he is mainly strong against squishies in mid lane. Be patient before level 4 and be aware of third cast Steel Tempest. You can use Bladesurge on him or next him to avoid your ultimate being blocked. Items pretty standard double Doran's into Triforce, situational Tabi.


Yasuo is actually quite dangerous, don't underestimate him. Overall you should win but he's A LOT stronger level 2 and he can easily kill you at 2 if you aren't careful. If he gets ahead you're 100% ****ed
1
emoriam (287) | August 9, 2014 9:05am
Michaelx1 wrote:

can you give me some tips to play vs yasuo?

Pretty easy because he is mainly strong against squishies in mid lane. Be patient before level 4 and be aware of third cast Steel Tempest. You can use Bladesurge on him or next him to avoid your ultimate being blocked. Items pretty standard double Doran's into Triforce, situational Tabi.
1
Michaelx1 | August 9, 2014 7:49am
can you give me some tips to play vs yasuo?
1
emoriam (287) | July 29, 2014 3:46am
Thanks for the in depth review! I just want to comment on a few things you've said and I will add other things to the guide.

Masteries: Here I clarify may Mastery choices! I will add a note about a 9/21 Mastery Tree.

Runes: First of all I mentioned that against AP you generally go Scaling Health and that you can combine Flat and Scaling Health Runes. I will clarify that you can always combine Runes 5/4 and I will include Health Runes to the standard setup. About Life Steal Runes - they can work but against most sustainable and poke matchups you can sustain way more efficient through regeneration when just relying on little farm and minion attacks. Of course you can go Health Seals + Armor Quintessences against Renekton but I don't want to be that specific about Runes.

Summoner Spells: That's wrong. I chose it because it's that common that you need to adapt. Even many lane bully laners take Teleport nowadays and you need to be able to be a splitpush threat. I still prefer Ignite over Teleport and that's why it's mentioned first but not in the cheat sheet. Ghsot? No, top lane is too short and Flash way too good and Vladimir just uses it due to his W.

Items: You don't always need lifesteal, more of regeneration. About build order: Banshee's Veil first is fine after Trinity Force. Important is that you get Trinity Force followed by an item relating to the situation: Offense if ahead and snowballing, defense if even or behind. You can choose the defense items out of four excellent ones and the offense items out of two excellent ones. However I added a sidenote to the Gameply section. I lol'd about true damage team, added Warmog's tho.

Gameplay: It's already in the guide (ability and gameplay section) ...
1
Pallis123 (10) | July 29, 2014 12:28am
Keep in mind that I wrote this without reading other comments first, so I am by no means influenced by them!

First of all, let me start off with saying that you have done an incredibly good job at this guide. The coding is great, and on first glance your items, runes, masteries and summoner spell choices seem fine as well. Let me now go on to looking at the guide more in-depth!

Cheat sheet:
  • Your cheat sheet looks very neat overall, nothing else to say here

Masteries:
  • I would personally go 9/21/0 with Irelia, talking from the time that I played her (which is roughly three months ago). There are a lot of strong masteries deep down in the defense tree such as Perseverance, Legendary Guardian, and of course Tenacious which has insane synergy with Irelia's kit. You can at least make a note of a 9/21/0 setup, with an explanation when you could use it or why you just prefer 21/9/0 in general;
  • I'm not completely sure if taking both Blade and Spell Weaving is worth it on a melee champion with little to no ranged harass. The only time you could really use it is during your ultimate, I suppose. This is said assuming Hiten Style does not proc both when activated. If that is the case, your mastery page seems perfectly fine;
  • Rest seems fine

Runes:
  • Doing maths proves that, unless the enemy toplaner is completely reliant on physical damage, health seals grant you more effective health than armor seals would. Don't understand me wrong, armor is completely fine, but in most cases health seals are more effective. I think that is at least worth mentioning;
  • Not sure if what you said was already meant so, but you can mix scaling and flat magic resist glyphs. I read what you said as "take either flat or scaling" ^-^;
  • Thoughts on attack speed glyphs? Seems like quite some junglers benefit from it, and I wonder if it is a good choice for Irelia as well if the enemy team has little to no magic damage;
  • Against melee and sustainable matchups, I think lifesteal quintessences are a better option than health regeneration quintessences. I'm not completely sure on this though, as I have never used any of these quintessences before

Summoner Spells:
  • It's not completely clear to me whether you use Teleport or Ignite more often as your second spell. You say you recommend Ignite, but put in Teleport because it is what most high elo players do. Pros of course have a good sense of the game and they will sure have a good reason for Teleport, but just "because the pros do so" is in my opinion not a good enough explanation. Just put what you think is the best option in the summoner spells and add a small note that pros often use Teleport;
  • No mentioning of Ghost? I used to run it on Irelia, considering ignoring unit collision synergizes very well with Irelia's high tenacity. I understand you find Flash a better option, but you could at least mention Ghost. Maybe you might even consider running Ghost + Flash, such as what people sometimes do on Twisted Fate or Vladimir?

Items:
  • Your item choices seem perfectly fine in the first build, and however the second build looks good as well I have one note: isn't it important to always have at least one lifesteal item in your build?
  • You might want to add a small section on build order. You did this in the cheat sheet, but in your item section you merely showed the full build. Explaining which item to get when in the game can be very useful for newer players. I mean, we don't want them to start building Banshee's Veil as first item, do we?
  • I agree with all your further listed items, good job! :D You might want to add Warmog's Armor though, against true damage teams.

Gameplay:
  • You might want to add a little explanation on how to trade as Irelia. For example, do you start or end with Equilibrium Strike? And should you use Bladesurge, considering you then have no escape for a few seconds, or not?

That was it. I have tried to be very nitpicky and review your guide based on pure theorycrafting, and you've done very well. Most of your choices in runes / summoner spells / items / etc. are good in my opinion, however I do have a few questions and notes. Your coding is very good, and I really liked reading the guide. This guide is in my opinion worth a rating of 8.5, and you really deserve your spot in the top builds of all mobafire!

Will test Irelia later. I have her available on a level 25ish account, but as I don't think that counts as a fair way of testing the build, I will wait with that a little while longer until I have bought Irelia on my main account. ^-^
1
Mathspy | July 26, 2014 3:02pm
emoriam wrote:

Thanks :p I've got tow matchups so far seemingly missing because they were mentioned in comments, I'll add them later on when I've got at least three.
You can start Flask or Cloth for a passive start. She has little sustain even though her passive grants her sustain. Start with Equilibrium Strike at level one and simply go for E + AA. Riposte is a bit annoying, try to bait it otherwise it hurts in the beginning. Early Ninja Tabi and double Doran's Blade + after level four it's often fairly easy for you. You can walk into your turret when she actiates Blade Waltz aswell, often helps.


Okay, thank you very much! ^^
1
R4GE (14) | July 14, 2014 6:08am
emoriam wrote:


It is an option indeed but the defense tree got nerfed in the past and the offense tree got buffed. Overall I feel like the offense Masteries provide Irelia a huge power spike in the early game which supports the way you generally build items on her (one or a maximum of two offense plus full defense) or alternatively an early damage and AS build. A buffed Feast and Executioner are just crucial and superior to a nerfed Perseverance .
You can test both setups, indeed, but I feel like the offense tree synergizes more with Irelia's strong mid game based on finishing Trinity Force.


I understand, thanks for the response!
1
emoriam (287) | July 14, 2014 3:17am
R4GE wrote:

As a new Irelia player this guide was really helpful, but I wonder one thing. Is 9/21/0 Masteries a option? If not, why?

It is an option indeed but the defense tree got nerfed in the past and the offense tree got buffed. Overall I feel like the offense Masteries provide Irelia a huge power spike in the early game which supports the way you generally build items on her (one or a maximum of two offense plus full defense) or alternatively an early damage and AS build. A buffed Feast and Executioner are just crucial and superior to a nerfed Perseverance .
You can test both setups, indeed, but I feel like the offense tree synergizes more with Irelia's strong mid game based on finishing Trinity Force.
Loading Comments...
Load More Comments
League of Legends Build Guide Author
Irelia Guide
Vote Vote

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide