Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides

Varus Build Guide by Oneinthepink

Not Updated For Current Season

This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.

Rating Pending
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit
League of Legends Build Guide Author Oneinthepink

Varus ~The Cost Of Your Life Is One Arrow~

Oneinthepink Last updated on May 10, 2012
Did this guide help you? If so please give them a vote or leave a comment. You can even win prizes by doing so!

You must be logged in to comment. Please login or register.

I liked this Guide
I didn't like this Guide
Commenting is required to vote!

Thank You!

Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.

Bot Carry

LeagueSpy Logo
ADC Role
Ranked #14 in
ADC Role
Win 47%
Get More Stats

Ability Sequence

Ability Key Q
Ability Key W
Ability Key E
Ability Key R

Not Updated For Current Season

The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.



Offense: 22

Honor Guard

Defense: 0

Strength of Spirit

Utility: 8

Guide Top

Varus and His Story

For his incomparable skill with the bow and his unquestioned sense of honor, Varus was chosen to be the warden of a sacred Ionian temple. The temple was built to contain an ancient pit of corruption so vile that Ionian Elders feared it could envelop the island in darkness. Varus prided himself on his position, as only the most exceptional Ionian warriors were selected for the role. He lived with his family in a nearby village and led a quiet life of disciplined routine until the day the forces of Noxus invaded Ionia. Their shock troops left nothing but death and desolation in their wake, and the temple lay in their path. Varus was forced to make a decision. He was bound by honor to stay and defend the temple, but without him the village's few inhabitants could offer little resistance against the oncoming war machine. Gravely, he chose to fulfill his duty as a warden. The corruption could not be allowed to escape.

His arrows sundered the troops who tried to wrest the temple from him that day. However, when he returned to the village, he found that it had been reduced to a smoldering graveyard. Remorse at the sight of his slain family gave way to overwhelming regret and then to seething hatred. He swore to slaughter every Noxian invader, but first he needed to become stronger. He turned to that which he had sacrificed everything to protect. The pit of corruption would consume him wholly, as a flame devours a wick, but its abominable power would burn within him until he was lost. This was a path from which there could be no return. With grim resolve, he condemned himself to the black flames, feeling malevolent energy bond to his skin...and with it, the promise of ruin. He left, seeking the blood of all Noxians involved with the invasion, a grisly task that eventually led him to the invasion's most infamous perpetrators in the League of Legends.

''The life of an arrow is fleeting, built of nothing but direction and intent.'' - Varus

Guide Top

Pros / Cons

Will add after a few games played with him.


[*]Has long range, which alows him to harras very well.
[*]He can beat other AD carry's with Hail of Arrows.50% reduced healing.
[*]Has an super ulti that will allow you both to kill or escape.
[*]Has one of the best passives in game.
[*]Has an freeking big Bow.

[*]Is mana thirsty
[*]Slow movement
[*]Has 2 skillshots( dont miss ulty pls...)

Guide Top


I prefer to use for the extra 9 AD. for the mana regen per level. 2 will give you 0.1 mana regen per 5,so 9 will give you 0.5 mana regen per lvl. because it gives you +13 armor,that really helps you against other AD champions. I use Greater Quintessence of Desolation because It stacks with and (i recommend this quint,but u can also buy if u want to build him a little more AD).

Guide Top

Summoner Spells

pick any of these 5 spells.
I prefer to use and .
can be used with almost any champion, but it is good mostly at early game, while an can shut down a Tryndamere
If you play against Vladimir or Dr. Mundo, and your team doesn't have much DoT(damage over time) u should switch from Exhaust to Ignite, that will shutdown those champions in a teamfight. Cleanse in normal picks is random.So you should use it in ranked games with Varus,so you can see if their team has cc

Guide Top

Skill Sequence

In lane, Varus’ unique combination of abilities gives him the ability to apply constant pressure to his opponent. Piercing Arrow allows him to both farm safely and damage enemy champions without fear of reprisal. Meanwhile, the area of effect healing debuff from Hail of Arrows complicates a support champion’s efforts to out-heal the attrition damage. When the time comes to move in for the kill, Living Vengeance keeps Varus’ Attack Speed high while he’s last hitting, enabling him to quickly stack up Contamination charges from Blighted Quiver in preparation for a finishing blow.

Ability Sequence
Varus gains 40% attack speed for 6 seconds if he gets a kill or assist,and 20% if he kills a minion or monster.great passive.
tip:when you kill a minion you will get 20% attack speed, that would be the best time to attack the enemy, or outfarm them.

Piercing Arrow(First Cast): Varus starts drawing back his next shot, gradually increasing its range and damage.
(Second Cast): Varus fires, dealing physical damage, reduced by 15% per enemy hit (minimum 33%).
While preparing to shoot,Varus cannot autoattack or use abilities, and his movement speed is slowed by 20%. After 4 seconds, Piercing Arrow fails but refunds half its mana cost..
Level this at 1,3,5,7, and 8.

Blighted Quiver(Passive): Varus' basic attacks deal bonus magic damage and apply Blight for 6 seconds (stacks 3 times)
Varus' other abilities detonate Blight, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of the target's maximum health per stack. This damage is capped against monsters.
Level this at 2,9,10,12, and 13

Hail of Arrows: Varus fires a hail of arrows that deals physical damage and desecrates the ground for 4 seconds.

Desecrated Ground reduces healing effects by 50% and slows enemy movement speed by 25/30/35/40/45%. Level this at 4,14,15,17,and 18

Chain Of Corruption: Varus flings out a tendril of corruption that deals magic damage and immobilizes the first enemy champion hit for 2 seconds.
The corruption then spreads towards nearby uninfected enemy champions, applying the same damage and immobilize if it reaches them. The corruption will continue to spread until there are no further unaffected targets in range.
The corruption spread works like this:1 sec after the 2 sec shacle will activate it again and corrupt all in the area of the 1st target corrupted..
Level this at 6,11,16

Guide Top


~Here is how my tipical game goes for me~

Great starting item for him, you get the life plus, life steal and more dmg. Your already getting movement speed from your masteries if you went with that tree.

all around good boots for ad range champs. Another good choice is or

Amazing AD item, most my ad carry hcamps run 2 of theses, one atleast. Will give you 12% life steal and 20% on full stacks, and big damage boost(100 with full).

Make it after .This is a great item, and i added it because of a recommendation.If the target has 100 armor, you will make it on 50.(because of )

One of the best ad carry items.Who doesn't like 55% attack speed, 30% critical chance and 15% movement speed.This is great and when you get the damage( , ) you should get it.

And do your enemies run away?Do they kill you fast? Get this item after and you will get a slow,some dmg and 700 hp!.

An item also to be taken instead of Frozen Mallet.Gives you magic resist, armor, and a Awesome passive. In my second build i suggest using it with just to have more surviablity.

Guide Top


All together this is a well rounded ad ranged champion, now one of my top favs. Making sure to land your Q snipes is a very big deal from your W's passive to the shear damage it really does.Many games ive done not so hot in the begining and still turned it around, so making sure to play him smartly and the working together can really change the tide of game.

~More to come as i get some feedback and toy with him more~