Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Magic the gathering - Riot edition

Creator: Erikulum August 9, 2012 5:48pm
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 9:40pm | Report
Okay, I am here going to post a wall of text about your current cards. I have some passing experience with card effects and was a MtG Rules Advisor for a while, which I only haven't kept up to date because I'm not playing any more.

On Ahri, you need to change her ability to be worded to: "Gain control of target creature until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn." You may also want to have the creature untap, if that's the effect desired. The reason for giving them haste is simple: When a creature changes controller, it gains summoning sickness, just as it does when it enters play. If you don't give the creature haste, Ahri's controller can't actually use it on his turn, and the ability is only useful for grabbing creatures during your opponent's turn to prevent them from being used.

Akali's text should read "...deals combat damage to an opponent, you may...", for grammatical reasons.

Amumu's text should read "Other creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn." instead of the current, for simplicity and grammar.

Anivia's ability may need to be reworked slightly. While I like the idea of having the attacking creatures become blocked, it is entirely ineffective if those creatures have trample. Since her wall physically prevents other champions from moving, it may be better to have her ability read "Choose up to two target attacking creatures. Prevent all combat damage those creatures would deal this turn." instead of the current ability. If you don't rework the ability this way, you should still change it to read "Choose up to two target attacking creatures. Those creatures become blocked." for consistency with similar MtG effects.

Annie's first ability should probably be split into two separate abilities, rather than being bundled. I would suggest changing it to "Whenever you cast a spell, put a charge counter on Annie, the Dark Child." and "Whenever you cast a red spell, Annie, the Dark Child deals 1 damage to target creature or player." This means that if another player can counter her reactive abilities, they must be countered individually. The change to charge counters is simply to stay within the counters that MtG's rules actually support, and isn't a big deal. In addition, with her Tibbers ability, it should be a bear creature token rather than simply a creature. The ability would then read "Remove 3 charge counters from Annie, the Dark Child: Put a 4/4 black and red legendary bear creature token with haste named Tibbers into play."

Ashe's power needs to be higher. At CMC 3, I'd suggest making her a 3/1. A 1/1 for 3, even with those abilities, is simply not good. Alternatively, lower her cost to 1W from 1WW and make her a 2/1.

Blitzcrank also seems a little weak. The haste ability is not good, it means that he's 6 mana for a 3/2 with haste. I'd suggest simply giving him haste, bringing the costs of his other two abilities down to 1 mana each, and possibly also lowering his mana cost if the other two changes aren't enough.

Brand's ability to deal another 1 damage at the start of the next upkeep is interesting and tactical, but not necessarily incredible, because creatures just regenerated all of their damage. In addition, his ability to deal extra damage when you discard cards is actually weaker than his tap effect for a higher cost (presumably those cards are worth more than 1 damage). I'd suggest reworking the card slightly as follows. Give him an ability that reads "At the beginning of your upkeep, Brand, the Burning Vengeance deals 1 damage to every creature with a burning counter. Then remove 1 burning counter from every creature." His tap ability and his discard ability could then both add burning counters to creatures targeted, allowing his discard effect to proc his champion passive as well as his tap effect. This also brings up the strength of the card a bit, and stays well within what Brand does in LoL.

Caitlyn's tap effect would also probably be better dealt with the way Brand's is, where she adds a counter to the affected creature and has an ability that does damage to creatures with that counter during your upkeep. This does remove the gameplay where you could tap her for damage and then use another effect to untap her immediately, but it's easier to fit inside of MtG's rules and is virtually identical in most situations.

I would argue that Caitlyn's main draw is her traps and range rather than her ultimate, though, and perhaps it would be more in line with her LoL gameplay to have an ability that taps target creature, run off of an ammo system. And to simulate her range, she would likely have another ability that deals damage to creatures (or players). I'd suggest using something more like:
---
Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover 2RW
<Image>
Legendary Creature -- Human Sniper -- Rare
----
First strike
At the beginning of you upkeep, put a trap counter on Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover.
Remove a trap counter from Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover: Tap target creature.
T: Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover deals 3 damage to target tapped creature.
----
“Sorry boys, I keep the fuzzy cuffs at home.”
----
2/2
---

Cassiopeia's third ability should read more like "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, you may chose target creature that player controls. At end of turn, if that creature did not attack and is untapped, destroy it." Targeting the creature is important, in case any have shroud or hexproof, and by saying "you may" it's no longer a tournament disqualification to forget to designate a creature and also punishes players for forgetting.

Cho'Gath doesn't have a taunt, so I'm not sure if intimidate is the best ability for him. It may be better to replace it with bushido 1 (or 2), to reflect Vorpal Spikes.

Corki's second ability may be better worded as "Whenever Corki, the Daring Bombardier becomes blocked, Corki, the Daring Bombardier deals 2 damage divided as you choose between up to two target creatures blocking Corki, the Daring Bombardier." This avoids the entire ability fizzling if the first target becomes invalid after selection, for any reason. As currently worded, if the first target leaves play momentarily, his ability never makes it the second target (assuming one exists), which is not how it should be working. It may also be worth giving him flying, because he's in a plane.

Dr. Mundo can kill himself way too easily with his abilities; two red mana into his steroid and then his tap effect deals 5 total damage to him. I'd suggest removing the self-damage on his steroid.

Olaf has the slight issue that he cannot ever do damage when he attack without outside help, because your opponent simply has to not block him and then his power remains 0. Making his power equal to his current damage plus one is a bit on the OP side, so what I would suggest doing is switching up his abilities a little. Instead of having one ability that deals damage to himself and a target when blocked, have two abilities that read "Whenever Olaf, the Berserker attacks or blocks, you may deal 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature." and another that reads "Whenever Olaf, the Berserker becomes blocked, you may deal 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature." This is a buff for his attacks, because it gives him the damage effect even if he isn't blocked, leaves his effect largely intact if he does become blocked, and makes him slightly weaker as a blocker, encouraging aggressive gameplay with him.

So, yeah, just some off-the-cuff thoughts on these.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Werepirelord
<Member>
Werepirelord's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 9:44pm | Report
I think Diana should be B/W and you made a lot of typing errors.
Gj anyway.

I'm streets ahead. If you don't get it you're streets behind.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 9:54pm | Report
I think your Diana wording is too confusing.

Also, I see you're kinda favouring flavor and giving each champ a relatively low P/T start, but perhaps you could augment it in some?

Cool idea imo: we could pick a few tier 3 items and add them as equipment. And lands could be easily added as well. And, of course, a planeswalker called simply "Summoner"

As for cards, I'll think about them later :P
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
Erikulum
<Member>
Erikulum's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 10:35pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

On Ahri, you need to change her ability to be worded to: "Gain control of target creature until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn." You may also want to have the creature untap, if that's the effect desired. The reason for giving them haste is simple: When a creature changes controller, it gains summoning sickness, just as it does when it enters play. If you don't give the creature haste, Ahri's controller can't actually use it on his turn, and the ability is only useful for grabbing creatures during your opponent's turn to prevent them from being used.

Ahri work as I intended... you can't use the creature you take, you just render it useless. I was thinking changing her ability to something like T:target creature attack this turn if able. Prevent all combat damage that creature would dealt this turn. More the Ahri we know but the creature could dodge this by tapping.

lifebaka wrote:
Akali's text should read "...deals combat damage to an opponent, you may...", for grammatical reasons.

...right

lifebaka wrote:

Amumu's text should read "Other creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn." instead of the current, for simplicity and grammar.

...still right

lifebaka wrote:

Anivia's ability may need to be reworked slightly. While I like the idea of having the attacking creatures become blocked, it is entirely ineffective if those creatures have trample. Since her wall physically prevents other champions from moving, it may be better to have her ability read "Choose up to two target attacking creatures. Prevent all combat damage those creatures would deal this turn." instead of the current ability. If you don't rework the ability this way, you should still change it to read "Choose up to two target attacking creatures. Those creatures become blocked." for consistency with similar MtG effects.

Reworded her
T: Untap up to two target attacking creatures. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by these creatures this turn.
Now she kinda act like 2 maze of ith

lifebaka wrote:

Annie's first ability should probably be split into two separate abilities, rather than being bundled. I would suggest changing it to "Whenever you cast a spell, put a charge counter on Annie, the Dark Child." and "Whenever you cast a red spell, Annie, the Dark Child deals 1 damage to target creature or player." This means that if another player can counter her reactive abilities, they must be countered individually. The change to charge counters is simply to stay within the counters that MtG's rules actually support, and isn't a big deal. In addition, with her Tibbers ability, it should be a bear creature token rather than simply a creature. The ability would then read "Remove 3 charge counters from Annie, the Dark Child: Put a 4/4 black and red legendary bear creature token with haste named Tibbers into play."

Forgot to write bear... But legendary comes before the power toughness in magic syntax (Check dark depths, I don't think there's another legendary token)

lifebaka wrote:

Ashe's power needs to be higher. At CMC 3, I'd suggest making her a 3/1. A 1/1 for 3, even with those abilities, is simply not good. Alternatively, lower her cost to 1W from 1WW and make her a 2/1.

I used Brigid as a reference for Ashe. Ashe's weaker but deal her Power as damage (giant grow anyone ?). She also gain vigilance. I think boosting her more would make her too strong

lifebaka wrote:

Blitzcrank also seems a little weak. The haste ability is not good, it means that he's 6 mana for a 3/2 with haste. I'd suggest simply giving him haste, bringing the costs of his other two abilities down to 1 mana each, and possibly also lowering his mana cost if the other two changes aren't enough.

I hate this card, please someone do another one

lifebaka wrote:

Brand's ability to deal another 1 damage at the start of the next upkeep is interesting and tactical, but not necessarily incredible, because creatures just regenerated all of their damage. In addition, his ability to deal extra damage when you discard cards is actually weaker than his tap effect for a higher cost (presumably those cards are worth more than 1 damage). I'd suggest reworking the card slightly as follows. Give him an ability that reads "At the beginning of your upkeep, Brand, the Burning Vengeance deals 1 damage to every creature with a burning counter. Then remove 1 burning counter from every creature." His tap ability and his discard ability could then both add burning counters to creatures targeted, allowing his discard effect to proc his champion passive as well as his tap effect. This also brings up the strength of the card a bit, and stays well within what Brand does in LoL.

LOL you described him as I originaly wrote his ability. But the card gets too "wordy" that way so I guess I'll keep him that way for now
The Discard a card ability may seem weak but he doesn't tap to use it. This king of effect let you discard that extra land to finish a creature, or the rest of your hand to inflict direct damage on your opponent and end the game

lifebaka wrote:

Caitlyn's tap effect would also probably be better dealt with the way Brand's is, where she adds a counter to the affected creature and has an ability that does damage to creatures with that counter during your upkeep. This does remove the gameplay where you could tap her for damage and then use another effect to untap her immediately, but it's easier to fit inside of MtG's rules and is virtually identical in most situations.

I tried to limit the use of tokens and I love the way she is now

lifebaka wrote:

I would argue that Caitlyn's main draw is her traps and range rather than her ultimate, though, and perhaps it would be more in line with her LoL gameplay to have an ability that taps target creature, run off of an ammo system. And to simulate her range, she would likely have another ability that deals damage to creatures (or players). I'd suggest using something more like:
---
Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover 2RW
<Image>
Legendary Creature -- Human Sniper -- Rare
----
First strike
At the beginning of you upkeep, put a trap counter on Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover.
Remove a trap counter from Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover: Tap target creature.
T: Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover deals 3 damage to target tapped creature.
----
“Sorry boys, I keep the fuzzy cuffs at home.”
----
2/2
---

Probably because I never played her... The snipe ability is the thing that pop in my mind when I think Caitlyn

lifebaka wrote:

Cassiopeia's third ability should read more like "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, you may chose target creature that player controls. At end of turn, if that creature did not attack and is untapped, destroy it." Targeting the creature is important, in case any have shroud or hexproof, and by saying "you may" it's no longer a tournament disqualification to forget to designate a creature and also punishes players for forgetting.

Changed
lifebaka wrote:

Cho'Gath doesn't have a taunt, so I'm not sure if intimidate is the best ability for him. It may be better to replace it with bushido 1 (or 2), to reflect Vorpal Spikes.

Done... But bushido feel strange on a non-samurai

lifebaka wrote:

Corki's second ability may be better worded as "Whenever Corki, the Daring Bombardier becomes blocked, Corki, the Daring Bombardier deals 2 damage divided as you choose between up to two target creatures blocking Corki, the Daring Bombardier." This avoids the entire ability fizzling if the first target becomes invalid after selection, for any reason. As currently worded, if the first target leaves play momentarily, his ability never makes it the second target (assuming one exists), which is not how it should be working. It may also be worth giving him flying, because he's in a plane.

rewritten... also gave him R: Corki gain flying until end of turn.
lifebaka wrote:

Dr. Mundo can kill himself way too easily with his abilities; two red mana into his steroid and then his tap effect deals 5 total damage to him. I'd suggest removing the self-damage on his steroid.

Done, Mundo is another character I never used so if someone feel like redoing him

lifebaka wrote:

Olaf has the slight issue that he cannot ever do damage when he attack without outside help, because your opponent simply has to not block him and then his power remains 0. Making his power equal to his current damage plus one is a bit on the OP side, so what I would suggest doing is switching up his abilities a little. Instead of having one ability that deals damage to himself and a target when blocked, have two abilities that read "Whenever Olaf, the Berserker attacks or blocks, you may deal 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature." and another that reads "Whenever Olaf, the Berserker becomes blocked, you may deal 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature." This is a buff for his attacks, because it gives him the damage effect even if he isn't blocked, leaves his effect largely intact if he does become blocked, and makes him slightly weaker as a blocker, encouraging aggressive gameplay with him.

Damn, And I loved the "surprise bolt on my creature" possibility... But you're right, Olaf need a more aggressive oriented effect...
added "Whenever Olaf attack, you may have him deals 1 damage to itself."

lifebaka wrote:

So, yeah, just some off-the-cuff thoughts on these.

Thank you for the help, I restarted playing magic some week ago and don't remember all magic's syntax. I will upload the new images soon
Edit : New images have been uploaded
Erikulum
<Member>
Erikulum's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 10:39pm | Report

I think Diana should be B/W and you made a lot of typing errors.
Gj anyway.

Put her W/B, feel better
changed her damage ability to
W T: Diana deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature

FalseoGod wrote:

I think your Diana wording is too confusing.

Also, I see you're kinda favouring flavor and giving each champ a relatively low P/T start, but perhaps you could augment it in some?

Cool idea imo: we could pick a few tier 3 items and add them as equipment. And lands could be easily added as well. And, of course, a planeswalker called simply "Summoner"

As for cards, I'll think about them later :P

Was the best way to make her untap if she hit a creature more than once in the same turn

I intend to make the 130 item... and all the skills... but first ting first. For now I want all the champion
NinjaGinge
<Editor>
NinjaGinge's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 10:53pm | Report
Front: Viktor, the Machine Herald 5 Back: Full Machine Viktor
front: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg859/scaled.php?server=859&filename=830pxviktorprototype.jpg&res=landing
Back: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/600/830pxviktorfullmachine.jpg
Legendary Creature -- Construct
---
Front
BB1: Target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types
BT: Tap target artifact, it does not untap during its controller next untap step
P1: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to Viktor the Machine Herald.
If the opponent has 5 or more artifacts flip Viktor the Machine Herald

Back
BRR1: destroy target artifact, its controller takes 3 damage
BBT: Tap up to 3 target artifacts, they do not untap during their controllers next untap step
If the opponent has less than 2 artifacts flip Full Machine Viktor
----
Join the glorious revolution!
----
2/3 (back 3/4)
Thanks goes to JEFFY40HANDS for a gorgeous Karma sig
Hey, you should help me on acquiring Medieval Twitch!! :D
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=507f1031d2ab3250817727
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 11:20pm | Report
@Lifebaka's text: Haha this is like "Get dunked" xD, good one +rep.

Also i think this topic needs to be moved in to the Create & Share Section, maybe Signatures&Art's cuz its kind of an "Art".
Erikulum
<Member>
Erikulum's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2012 11:22pm | Report
NinjaGinge wrote:

Front: Viktor, the Machine Herald 5 Back: Full Machine Viktor
front: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg859/scaled.php?server=859&filename=830pxviktorprototype.jpg&res=landing
Back: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/600/830pxviktorfullmachine.jpg
Legendary Creature -- Construct
---
Front
BB1: Target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types
BT: Tap target artifact, it does not untap during its controller next untap step
P1: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to Viktor the Machine Herald.
If the opponent has 5 or more artifacts flip Viktor the Machine Herald

Back
BRR1: destroy target artifact, its controller takes 3 damage
BBT: Tap up to 3 target artifacts, they do not untap during their controllers next untap step
If the opponent has less than 2 artifacts flip Full Machine Viktor
----
Join the glorious revolution!
----
2/3 (back 3/4)

Damn, I hate viktor... and I hate the new split card concept... anyway

The Tap target creature/doesn't untap seem fine on viktor
Changing thing into artifact... well okay
Preventing damage? Viktor can prevent damage??? ...the second effect of his first ability... Never felt it ingame.
Also Viktor should have something to do with his hextech device. Can't know if these Item will be made into equipement... I'd prefer not but it will depend of Viktor concept

I feel that the flip idea should only be used on champion like Nidalee

Every champ is stronger late game but I don't intend to use the "flip" or "level up" mechanic unless it REALLY fit the champion

plus I don't have a Inistrad flip template
NinjaGinge
<Editor>
NinjaGinge's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2012 12:37am | Report
Erikulum wrote:

Damn, I hate viktor... and I hate the new split card concept... anyway

The Tap target creature/doesn't untap seem fine on viktor
Changing thing into artifact... well okay
Preventing damage? Viktor can prevent damage??? ...the second effect of his first ability... Never felt it ingame.
Also Viktor should have something to do with his hextech device. Can't know if these Item will be made into equipement... I'd prefer not but it will depend of Viktor concept

I feel that the flip idea should only be used on champion like Nidalee

Every champ is stronger late game but I don't intend to use the "flip" or "level up" mechanic unless it REALLY fit the champion

plus I don't have a Inistrad flip template

the conversion part is as much viktor lore as much as anything. his entire ideals and the idea behind all of his skins is that he believes everything should be machine because machine is more powerful in every way than organic. Also delivering the changes caused between his two forms

his q gives him a shield, and is upgraded through a yellow hextech (plains)
the tapping abilities are obviously related to his w ability corresponding to the blue hextech (island)
the destruction and resulting followup damage is based upon the upgraded power and dot created by his red hextech upgrade (mountain)
Credit goes to JEFFY40HANDS for this godly imposing Viktor
Hey, you should help me on acquiring Medieval Twitch!! :D
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=507f1031d2ab3250817727
Erikulum
<Member>
Erikulum's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2012 7:58am | Report
NinjaGinge wrote:

the conversion part is as much viktor lore as much as anything. his entire ideals and the idea behind all of his skins is that he believes everything should be machine because machine is more powerful in every way than organic. Also delivering the changes caused between his two forms

his q gives him a shield, and is upgraded through a yellow hextech (plains)
the tapping abilities are obviously related to his w ability corresponding to the blue hextech (island)
the destruction and resulting followup damage is based upon the upgraded power and dot created by his red hextech upgrade (mountain)

You convinced me.
I tweaked your idea a bit, removing the flip ability
Viktor

Hope you like this version... if not post another

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide