Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Best Tank champions

Creator: ZioSerpe August 25, 2011 8:39pm
1 2
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2011 8:39pm | Report
My last thread had me wondering:
Who exactly are the best tanks on the market right now?
I'd like to share opinions, so I'll just start by posting the ones I consider best tanks so you're free to discuss my rankings and post yours

1- Amumu, great initiator, amazing ult, great damage in teqamfights.
2- Alistar, Huge knowckup stun, reposition skill and kickass tank ult, moderate aoe power worthy heal.
3- Leona, not 1, not 2 but 3 stuns, excelent defensive stats, passive makes team rape hard. She doesn't have much damage for herself tho.
4- Rammus, great initiation and target isolation, long taunt that cannot be juked, kickass pusher, great at escaping, excelent AoE damage in teamfights
5- Shen, Nice ult for saving people and setting up outnumbering skirmishes, decent damage due to his passive, can taunt multiple targets, but easier to juke.
6- Galio, Usually great damage due to passive and good AP ratios, decent shield, a slow and a speed up, not so good ult as it's a big AoE taunt but any melee with merc threads can get out of it before even getting damaged by it.
7- Maokai, great initiation, nice support and scout, great ult but way too easy to avoid overall possibly better as mage-offtank
8- Malphite, great initiation with ult, decent slow, nice AoE damage, huge versatility as he can be played with non tank builds.

The next champions are not listed as tanks anymore by thay can be played as such and still do tons of goods for your team
9- Singed, not even listed as tank anymore yet he's a very good tank with hella good damage, he can initiate better than some other tanks, has a good slow, his damage is annoying and with flip and slow he's still able to save teammates from chasers.
10- Cho, one hella lot of HP without real need to buy HP items, just as singed building him with 1 big armor item and 1 big Mres item plus stacking Rod of Ages can make him both tank and huuuuge nuker at the same time. Good initiator, silence in teamfights is kickass, his ult can make a carry **** his pants and run.
11- Blitzcrank, another champ that can be build with Frozen Heart+ Banshee's Veil+multiple Rod of Ages and will be able to perform the role of tank better than you'd expect, and all the mana will give him 1.21 giggowatts of shield. Great initiator if you can grab nicely, nice single target knockup, ult passive ticks hard as hell, ult active can really turn a teamfigh into a slaughter if well executeed and coordinated with team.

Notice where I consider these last 3 champion better than maokai and Galio for tanking in most situations and in some situations even better than shen, obviusly if played correctly. I downgraded them to last of the top 10 to avoid usless posts like "wtf you noob they no b tanqs, them b DPSers" and such.

inb4 shen>rammus

Edited to add malphite as Whitehouse34 made me notice.

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2011 8:41pm | Report
Right now?

Amumu and Cho are about equal and they're pretty much the best 2 competitively viable tanks. Most other teams run an offtank or 1 or 2 tanky dps. The full tank has fallen out of favor.

Hotshot did use Galio in IEM to good effect though.
LameoGamer
<Member>
LameoGamer's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2011 9:07pm | Report
Cho'gath in hands of good people = great tank
Cho'gath that misses all his ruptures and silences and keeps dying so stacks are low = trash.
At least with amumu if they're semi in range and you mash R you'll get SOMETHING done.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2011 9:45pm | Report
Cho'Gath - Strong laner, virtually unkillable he uses his ultimate effective. True-damage burst has amazingly team fight power. Capable of jungling with good speed and decent ganks while staying relatively high in health. 3 second AoE silence is good in all parts of the game.

Singed - Strong laner, can split push easily. Virtually unkillable once he uses his ultimate and in general because it's a rule of thumb to never chase him.

Alistar - Better played as a heavy CC support with a light heal, but his ultimate guarantees his ability to tank damage.

Amumu - Good jungler, but reliant on his Q to get fights going.

Maokai - Has THE BEST initiate in the game. Single-target blink aoe stun that ensures a target is caught no matter what. His Q however, leaves a bit to be desired; his ultimate isn't easy to use either.

Leona - Very good as locking down single targets, but she is reliant on allies to proc her passive. If allies do not trigger her passive consistently, her damage output (necessary for drawing aggro) is nonexistent.

Galio - Reliant on allies to make the most of his ultimate. Also reliant on magic resist, making him weak against physical damage comps.

Rammus - Fast jungler. Very good if the enemy has that one-squishy you need to immediately bring down. Reliant on building armor, and much more susceptible to counter-jungling relative Amumu.

Shen - Currently very underpowered due to nerfs to his ultimate and passive.

Cho'Gath is definitely top-tier at the moment. Check out the Live Design Statuses thread on my sig, Riots are going to review him for nerfs. :|

I personally think Singed is the one whose on equal footing with Cho'Gath. If you let him initiate, your MVP is dead. Unless you have a Kayle.
Amumu is very reliant on his Q and heavily expose to poke and can't split-push like the others can.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
VoiD
<Member>
VoiD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2011 10:39pm | Report
I'd say amumu, singed, and galio. Yes galio.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2011 10:01am | Report
Singed becomes the most invincible tank in the game once he's got full gear if you ask me.

I'm biased, I love Singed :3

Chogie is good, but you don't realize how good he is until you climb the ranks a bit and play with the good ones.

Galio's bawse.

Amumu's bawse.
JakofAllSpaydes
<Editor>
JakofAllSpaydes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2011 10:07am | Report
Singed is so friggin unkillable its not even funny =.=
Thx to Jhoi, nyoike, xiao, Jeffy40Hands, AlexPT, Wafflewarrior, Wrath and myself for the sigs <33333
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2011 10:31am | Report
rite now I'm pretty sure that the best pick you can do considering amumu and alistar banned is Leona

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2011 10:33am | Report
They're only banned in low ELO. And even then in solo queue only. They're great initiators. Not much else.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
Whitehouse34
<Member>
Whitehouse34's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2011 11:16am | Report
This is a pretty good list but you missed Malphite.

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the awesome Olaf sig.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide