Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Curse and Dignitas disqualified from MLG

Creator: Wintermond August 27, 2012 12:49am
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 8:10am | Report
The question to ask is: if these teams are capable of this magnitude of alleged "cheating" then what else have they done in the past? Not like this truly matters though, they brought it on themselves. I can actually understand why, and i don't honestly care. People are gonna be all upset, im just going to say that esports has hit a new level. A level which has only really been known to the professional sports world. Must mean esports is finally hitting its stride. Anyone who has an opinion is entitled to it, but keep in mind you arent in their situation and you dont know their motivations.
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 8:23am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

yes and both teams are trying to win, if it's in their best interest to lose a game for better seeding then that sounds like a flaw with the tournament. I don't understand how you can punish a team trying to win, even if it means losing

Because it's sports and not wall street.

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

Machineae
<Member>
Machineae's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 8:55am | Report
What many of you don't realize is that Curse and Dignitas are long time friends. Why would you reveal potential strategies when theres an upcoming big event? Wouldn't you want just a friendly, chilled out match with people you consider close friends? When you're two big teams, does a small (yes that amount of money IS small for esports teams of their caliber) really matter?

No, it doesn't.
Stop trying to make these two teams out as scumbags for trying to have fun. They did not plot who would win/lose. They decided to have an ARAM and split the prize money. MLG and Riot are using the world "collusion" because lets be honest- most of the people reading about this are dumb teenagers who have no idea what that word means. Its a word that sounds much worse than it is. Wording is key in dealing with situations like this.

Wintermond wrote:

The problem was NOT that they wanted to split the pot. Hell, it's their money they can do whatever they want with that. Curse wanted to get a beter seeding at the Regional Qualifiers next week and, that's what MLG accused them of, asked Dignitas to let them win. This is match-fixing and pretty much the worst thing you can do as someone in a tournament.

Proof would be nice
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 8:59am | Report
I will not judge without proof, and I will not belive without proof.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 9:06am | Report
Wintermond wrote:

Because it's sports and not wall street.

I guess i'll wait for you to come up with a legitimate answer
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 9:14am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

This particular answer has to do with some form of "honor system." And while I might not like losing, if taking a dive would keep me in teh tournamanet and increase my chances of getting far enough in the tournament to make money I would be inclined to do so. It goes agains the conventions of being a good sport though and i wouldn't like doing it, but there are no rules that say I can't dive a match to better my chances.
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 9:48am | Report
Really disappointed if this is true. They were definitely 2 of my favorite teams going into the regionals and I was hoping for a good finals. The games did look quite legit though (besides the ARAM) and since Curse denied the accusations I'm going to wait for some actual proof.. I'm not sure what to think of this :c
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:05am | Report
This is not uncommon in hockey world championships to maybe lose a bit to get an easier opponent in a quarter final. I don't get what the big scandal is here even IF they did it. But I won't say "bad teams" until proven.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
wengthemeng
<Member>
wengthemeng's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:13am | Report
Very very disappointing.
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:18am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

The next time you're talking warm words, I'll stop discussing with you. I treat you respectfully, I expect the same of you. You brought no argument, I did.

What I want to point out with that is, that sports is about the competition. Sports is competition in it's purest form. It doesn't even have to do with honor. There is absolutely no point at all in doing sports when there's manipulation involved.

Also: "if it's in their best interest to lose a game for better seeding then that sounds like a flaw with the tournament."

Nope, it's against the rules to intentionally lose in order to get your opponent a more favourable seeding in a different tourney(Because that's what would've happened to Curse afaik). That's no flaw with the tournament, it's a flaw with the players who can't play by the rules.

I think Riot and MLG have enough proof, I don't think they would DQ two of the biggest LoL teams for no reason. Here's a nice summary of statements regarding the situation:
  • Curse: Appolgized for planning the ARAM with Dignitas and denied any other accusations
  • MLG: The ARAM was unfortunate, but the reasons for being disqualified were for conspiring to split the prize money.
  • Dustin Beck/Riot: The ARAM was not the reason for disqualification, but rather the teams colluding to throw the match.
  • Dignitas: Recognized that some of the accusations are valid, but not which ones. They will release a more detailed statement at a later date.

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide