Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Curse and Dignitas disqualified from MLG

Creator: Wintermond August 27, 2012 12:49am
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:24am | Report
I still fail to see any proof of wrong doing.

APologizing for the ARAM is one thing, and they didn't really need to do it anyway. and if collusion was suspected then why didn't officials stop the match, and make a formal announcement about it?

Things are not adding up on MLG's end
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:36am | Report
According to MLG, they started investigating when the ARAM happened. The general consnsus is, at the moment, that Curse and Dignitas tried match-fixing. (Reddit Thread)
However:

Quoted:
Both teams have agreed that the disqualification was warranted. While there is some contention over the exact nature of the actions taken by Curse NA and Dignitas which led to the disqualification, both teams, as well as MLG and Riot, agree that any collusion, or anything involving not playing a tournament match to win, warrants disqualification.

The wording is pretty slippery here, but I'll give MLG and Riot the benefit of doubt because I trust Riot, the ARAM in the finals threw a shadow on the two teams for me.

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:42am | Report
Wintermond wrote:

The next time you're talking warm words, I'll stop discussing with you. I treat you respectfully, I expect the same of you. You brought no argument, I did.

What I want to point out with that is, that sports is about the competition. Sports is competition in it's purest form. It doesn't even have to do with honor. There is absolutely no point at all in doing sports when there's manipulation involved.

Also: "if it's in their best interest to lose a game for better seeding then that sounds like a flaw with the tournament."

Nope, it's against the rules to intentionally lose in order to get your opponent a more favourable seeding in a different tourney(Because that's what would've happened to Curse afaik). That's no flaw with the tournament, it's a flaw with the players who can't play by the rules.

I think Riot and MLG have enough proof, I don't think they would DQ two of the biggest LoL teams for no reason. Here's a nice summary of statements regarding the situation:
  • Curse: Appolgized for planning the ARAM with Dignitas and denied any other accusations
  • MLG: The ARAM was unfortunate, but the reasons for being disqualified were for conspiring to split the prize money.
  • Dustin Beck/Riot: The ARAM was not the reason for disqualification, but rather the teams colluding to throw the match.
  • Dignitas: Recognized that some of the accusations are valid, but not which ones. They will release a more detailed statement at a later date.

so your argument is "this is a tournament not wallstreet"

seems valid

the point of competing is to win, they play the game professionally to win the game. If it is in their best interest to lose in order to win the entire tournament then they are still competing to win the game

That's a valid argument, saying something like "it's not in the spirit of e-sports" is an oppinion
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 10:48am | Report
No matter how you look at it you are either going to be on one side or the other. that much is pretty clear based on how this thread and several others are going. Most of the information I got when I first heard about this supported the teams and threw MLG under the bus, so naturally I am on their side in this.

That being said, I find that this particular move about admitting that the DQ's are warranted is very much like Pleading the 5th, They don't want to say or do anything that would make this already sensitive situation any worse than what it already is. If they were to fight back then people who side with MLG on this would say they are guilty anyway, while if they up and admitted to something they didn't do those that side with them would say MLG pressured them into it. So doing nothing is the right thing to do.
Arkharan
<Member>
Arkharan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 11:06am | Report
I think wintermond you're just going on the wrong side.
There are way more proofs that DIG and Crs did not cheat.

-Why would DIG agree to lose the matches when it could get the a better place in the circuit, while it changes nothing at all for curse.

-So far no team stated that they arranged the match, but they did agree to the fact that they would split the money. (Wich is not agains MLG rules) If you actually watched those matches, you should know they tried really hard.

-My final argument is unless decent proofs are provided to us, public, the person accused should be considered innocent. Hey winter you're platinum and I know you're hacking and I have a lot of proofs, therefore you are a hacker? No. Wait for decent proofs either one of the team declaring they cheated or some solid proofs and I'll be on your side, don't be hasty please.

(Yes what Dig and Crs are doing atm can be considered PR but wait for further proofs to actually accuse them)

ty xaiolu for the sign :3
DashZ2
<Member>
DashZ2's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 11:31am | Report
it wasnt for the money or points, if u watch the last game properly, there were no throws that were intentional, and go to either team's youtube channel, it was just to have fun, the aram was the only thing they got dq for, they werent plotting to split the money or anything, dignitas needed the points to come in 2nd so i doubt they wudve, and both team said sorry for playing arma because e sports found it disrespectful, but nothing else is true, theres alot of storys going around like that, its not true, only thing they got dq for was the aram cause e sports found it stupid to be playing aram in the finals, in which case they found it disrespectful and that people, especialy with HD passes payed for a real match and not aram, in which case they were dq.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 11:38am | Report
If Riot/MLG have legitimate evidence opposed to verbal/written accusations then they should come forward and share it with the public. The longer they hold out, even if it is to gather additional evidence, the longer this looks like some sort of **** up on their end and they're trying to use Curse/Dig as scapegoats.

As well, the longer they keep fans in the dark, the more they (the fans) will rally against them (Riot/MLG) in support of their favorite gamers. Which will be horrible for eSports which is just now hitting stride. I do not care truthfully if Dig/Curse are guilty, I care how Riot/MLG are handling this.
AyushGarg
<Member>
AyushGarg's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 12:25pm | Report
Why would Dignitas do that anyways o.O
DashZ2
<Member>
DashZ2's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 12:29pm | Report
HOW DARE THEY HAVE FUN IN A TOURNAMENT
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 12:56pm | Report
honestly intentionally losing for seeding is nothing new in the competitive realm, if that is indeed the case, and is completely understandable on the side of the players.

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide