Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Do you think true Tanks are dead, competitively?

Creator: OTGBionicArm January 31, 2015 2:45pm
Are tanks dead?
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 8:24am | Report
Maokai, Malph and Garen and Braum are the only true "Tanks" imo. They are the only ones that have % damage reduction on one of their spells. Imo, that's the only thing that can kind of 'manage against' %penetration coming from Last Whisper and Void Staff.
Gnar might be a true tank as well, but that's only because he gets so much free defense from his passive.

So yeah, i think pure tanks is kinda dead. Do understand that there are different echelons of tankiness below "pure tank" though. Like, a Jarvan IV built tanky will probably be more resilient to damage than a Lee Sin built tanky.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Hatted
<Member>
Hatted's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 8:25am | Report
That is a good point. You do see J4 in a lot of games, but they rarely build full tank. You make a good point, while cc and tankiness is helpful a lot of competitive play seems to be based around more damage.
Eyy
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 9:38am | Report
Most have already mentioned tanks, Dr. Mundo and Maokai being the ones. They're both viable and certainly strong, with Gnar doing fine if in mega-form while not being a true tank. Renekton is strong as well, more often than not getting a Tiamat Before going full tank. Have also seen people go straight full tank on him.

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2015 6:27pm | Report
Dr. Mundo, Shen, Rammus, and Nautilus are all built as true tanks, with only a Sunfire Aegis and maybe a Thornmail as their "offensive items".
We can even include Leona, Alistar, and Braum, technically.

Maokai, Zac, and Amumu are built with some AP, so I wouldn't count those.

To say tanks are dead is just plain wrong. They're doing fine, all it takes is someone that knows what they're doing, and a team that understands opportunities.
If you want to help me, teach me.
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2015 9:46pm | Report
Malphite, Dr. Mundo Maokai are tanks that have all been since in competitive play this season.

Malphite has armor ratio on his e, Mundo does high base dmg scales well off hp and Maokai needs one ap item then he goes full tanky well doing good damage. There are not even any full tanks you can do dmg and tank even on these champs.

Sion might actually be kinda the weakest tank i find he does no dmg and cc is unreliable. Not a fan rather go Malphite top.
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2015 4:05am | Report
No, in my opinion, jungle tanks are dead, you are just shooting yourself in foot by having weak early game jungler that doesn't do damage.

On the other hand, if you put (viable) tank on top and give him farm, gold and experience, they will still be viable; as long as tank has some kind of scaling from items and a bit of base damage, they will be viable.

Some examples: Maokai on top, malphite (in some matchups and team comps he does wonders), dr. mundo is viable in some team comps, gnar - no explanation neeeded, nasus - i consider him tank instead of bruiser.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2015 9:01am | Report
Nasus? I never use any dmg item on him. I mean never.
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2015 9:23am | Report
Blian wrote:

triforce/frozen fist tho
Youc an also get lw if you want to
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 14, 2015 2:20pm | Report
Blian wrote:
Your not a very good nasus then.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 14, 2015 2:29pm | Report
Cooper112 wrote:
Your not a very good nasus then.

low elo strategy with nasus:

- start the game with 20% cdr
- never leave your lane just keep stacking
- while your team keep them busy just keep marching on until you destroy the nexus

well, that is pretty much it. and to do this armor, hp and mr items are perfectly enough. yes, that is most definitely true I am not the best Nasus player or not even close to the 473rd best Nasus player but when I see a troll team comp I just take him and win the game.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide