Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

New map design suggestions.

Creator: SoupOrJuice January 28, 2011 10:40pm
1 2
SoupOrJuice
<Member>
SoupOrJuice's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 28, 2011 10:40pm | Report
I know this might seem a little crazy, especially without a drawing (might add one later if people are confused) so I will explain as best as I can.

Mainly, this map will be for pretty much any type of play, 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5, depending on how long the lane is going to be (that's right, I said lane). Basically my idea is to have one lane going from one base to the other, like Mid is in SR right now, maybe a little longer -- like I said, if it was 5v5. But the twist is that the lane goes up from both bases, being the ONLY lane, and at around the 1/3 point from each base, it splits into 3, one mid, and two on either side, with jungle inbetween top/mid and bot/mid. Otherwise no jungle, so it's basically an extremely close-combat scenario because the jungle wouldn't be all that large. I know this would kinda make jungling a little weird/dangerous especially early game, but I think it would pan out.

Maybe include the river, and split the jungle that's inbetween top/mid and bot/mid to create definitive plans, but keep the forks relatively closer together than they are, that's the main point. If, when the map becomes 3 lanes, the lanes themselves are closer, it lessens the amount of jungle to traverse, making it easier to gank/get ganked. I think this would be A) A perfect alt 3v3 map or B) A very nice 4v4 map.

5v5 would be slightly difficult, so you would have to make the jungle a little larger than I am envisioning right now, but overall keep it smaller than SR so as to promote less time jungling itself and more time roaming and ganking. Plus the addition of the single-lane area would promote more team pushing, of course jungle would extend out below/above the forked lanes so that it wouldn't seem so constricted, but still only one lane so that games are a bit more difficult to finish without huge team effort from either side.

Turret placement would be one turret per lane in the middle area (either side of river) and then 2 more for either side on the single-lane part of the map, making the single-lane turrets much stronger than normal to prevent really early-game pushes.

Any thoughts? I came up with this on the spot, so feel free to shoot it down or edit it, but I think it has some potential with a few tweaks. This is just a kind of a theory to create a new map/fresh idea for a map, and to just stir up some other ideas for new maps in general.

EDIT: On second thought, still include jungle in the areas that aren't lane, so that it doesn't feel so constricted; just take away buffs from the area before the "forked" lanes begin so that people are forced into the forked area for the early-game play.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 28, 2011 10:51pm | Report
i think it would work good 4v4. otherwise it seems like a great idea.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Visfarix
<Member>
Visfarix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 9:04am | Report
Sounds interesting. A little hard to vision. Make some maps. Even a simple map made in MS paint with symbols to represent everything makes for a good visual aid.
Flipping tables is fun!
(╯ಠ_ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻
SoupOrJuice
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 10:29am | Report
Here's a drawing. Black represents lanes, gray represents boundaries (not lanes), all the white could be jungle for the most part. Brown dots are turrets, circles are obv bases. Blue line would be river across.

Obv not to scale, just for more emphasis.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 12:41pm | Report
Where would monsters akin to Dragon and Baron be placed?
SoupOrJuice
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 12:50pm | Report
Not exactly sure. Probably similar to SR with along the river, except instead of in-between the lanes they are on the outskirts of them? That might make it easier to kill them, but on the other hand harder to escape if the jungle ONLY juts out to them at the outside-middle part, kind of like an outpost in DotA?
Visfarix
<Member>
Visfarix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 1:45pm | Report
Now that I can see it, there are so many problems that pop into my mind from this design.

For example: How would minions spawn and how many should spawn each wave? Would they all spawn at nexus, travel down the center lane and the split up at the fork? Then, you have to realize that once all outer lane turrets have been destroyed, minions will start grouping up and you'll end up with 3 waves worth of minions pushing one lane. While you can argue that there will usually be equal number of minions per side, you have to realize that this means there are A LOT more targets for the turrets to be attacking, giving the attacking side a pretty big advantage.

And then the problem of "How would the inhibitor(s?) work?" would you have 3 inhibs all behind the base turret? Or just use 1 inhib for all 3 lanes?
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2011 2:02pm | Report
True. Maybe when he mentioned something about the inner towers being stronger, it might involve splash damage or much faster attack speed? Still, that makes defending at the turret much stronger.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2011 8:07am | Report
Good luck making TF viable on this map
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
SoupOrJuice
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2011 2:05pm | Report
I'd say have spawns near the forks on both sides, to avoid the minion problems. Not sure about inhibitors, though; that's a good point.

And how wouldn't TF be viable? His ult would make ganking even faster than it would already be on this map, especially considering it's mark enemies effect. Of course, considering I've only played TF a few games when he was free, still not sure why he would be affected.

I was honestly just trying to figure out a new map design without just staying with the all lanes stem from base. If you've ever played Monday night Combat, it has ways of forking lanes and it works well, of course there are no turrets in-lane in that game so, I dunno.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide