Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Newb time, which top champ to buy and general...

Creator: njdfan February 4, 2014 12:10am
1 2 3
njdfan
<Member>
njdfan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2014 12:10am | Report
Right now i'm lvl 14 and honestly haven't had much luck in the 5v5 PVP...always get killed more than I kill in return. I bought Pantheon and Mordekaiser early on before I really knew what I was doing, and sold them both back and got Hecarim, who ironically I do even worse with. I kind of regret selling back Pantheon just because he seems to be the simplest to play, but I get killed a lot with him so maybe he's just not that good.

While I like some of the ADC champs, I am ruling them out because I swear every other game I join people are arguing over who gets to ADC. Mid seems pretty popular too so really my only choice seems to be to pick and build a good top champ and stick with it. Varus, Vayne, Malzahar, Brand, and Zyra all seem like they would be fun but it seems like going with a top champ will let me play who I want the most often.

Irelia and Riven seem like they could be OK top champs, but I'm still pretty new to the game. Malphite also seems fun and fairly simple, and I've been told a couple of times Nasus is pretty good. I have stopped buying runes, but have a handful that help magic resist and cooldown. Amumu is on sale right now and someone mentioned he can both jungle and top fairly well, so maybe that flexibility would be good, he doesn't appeal that much to me though.

I only have 4810 IP, so I guess I just want to be sure I get a decent champ.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2014 1:06am | Report
Its like people don't even bother to look at the Sticky threads....
Nera
<Member>
Nera's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2014 1:59am | Report
personally i love singed:D he's fun for me to play and i like his playstyle.

But overall the top played tops are now are the beefier and manaless champions such as Shyvana, Dr. Mundo, Renekton, Riven. They are all good at the moment because of the defensive tree being so good right now and their base damages are very high for being tanks. the only exception in those 4 would be Riven as you basically build her full damage and can still carry games if you snowball early enough.

Nasus is good if you can farm his *Q* as this spell can get stacks upon stacks of attack damage per minion you last hit. Meaning you can build full tank and still do a boat ton of damage late game.

Irelia's early game is lacking at the moment and against the strong picks that i mentioned above is going to have a hard time becoming the late game monster she's meant to be. but overall she is still a very strong pick if you can get used to her mechanics and how she plays out. knowing when you can stun with your *e* instead of a slow really helps (especially in tower dives).

Malphite and Amummu are basically tanky initiators that pack alot of crowd control. you shouldn't be grabbing too many kills with these champs usually but you should be able to lock down entire teams in teamfights to gain plenty of assists and win the fight. and if they make the mistake of focusing you after your cc is done then it's their mistake as your carries and do alot of damage to them while they do that.

if you have any questions about champions or the game in general don't be afraid to contact me by pm or via this thread. I will do what i can to help from the knowledge i do have. :)

see you soon!

Nera
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2014 3:35am | Report
Amumu shouldn't really be top. He gets dominated top quite easily.

Jax and Nasus are both cheap champions and relatively easy to get the hang of using.

Grabbing kills with Malphite is fine. Get enough items on that rock and he's a genuinely Unstoppable Force. If you get fortunate enough to itemize some damage on him, even just an Abyssal Mask, he can HURT.

But, as Nera so aptly said, the choices of Shyvana, Dr. Mundo and Renekton are great pickups (I disagree a tad with Riven - she takes quite a bit of practice to get the hang of without just blowing up).
Nera
<Member>
Nera's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 2:04am | Report
Thanks Sirell :D i do have to admit that Riven does take some getting used to beforebeing able to become that monster we all know her as:)

And Yea Malphite can get crazy with just a few kills... i have a friend who play him and always seems to carry with him its funny to see:D

Nera
commanderAIK
<Member>
commanderAIK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 2:46pm | Report
Riven is definitely worth the effort you put into mastering her. When you known how to play her, she packs a punch.

Jax is one of the best duelists/hyper carries of the game with insane burst damage.

Renekton is a lane bully who can snowball off of winning the lane. He becomes tanky VERY early.

A lot of the other good tops have been listed above by the fellow moba people, but I do have some AP top suggestions. It's good to use AP top if you have an AD mid like Zed

Rumble is a great AP top which has a high skill cap, but just like Riven the mastery pays off in your favor.

Vladimir, I don't have experience with this guy, but he has an amazing poke/sustain, which deals a decent amount of damage, actually.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 4:29pm | Report
Renekton is a lane bully who can snowball off of winning the lane. He becomes tanky VERY early.

The only thing Renekton is good for is winning lane.

That's it. He sucks now and is definitely not worth the RP/IP to get him.
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

commanderAIK
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 5:48pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

The only thing Renekton is good for is winning lane.

I beg to differ, but I have had lots of success with him in teamfights and he plays the role of an amazing frontline tank (who believe it or not can still do massive damage). Besides, he has amazing pushing skills for late game if you aren't that useful in fights, so he can splitpush.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 8:10pm | Report

I beg to differ, but I have had lots of success with him in teamfights and he plays the role of an amazing frontline tank (who believe it or not can still do massive damage). Besides, he has amazing pushing skills for late game if you aren't that useful in fights, so he can splitpush.

His kit is completely out of date. He's an example of "nerfed into oblivion" imo. He has his uses, but there are so many better choices out there. I just find him to be a waste of space in team fights, simply because of how easy he is to ignore. He doesn't do much damage unless you build damage, and even if you do, they'll break you into pieces easily. You can't initiate. You can barely peel with a somewhat mediocre stun that requires rage to fully utilyze. His armor pen is nice for your team, but the gap in which you can drill people often puts you into bad places.

He's a cursed champion. Whatever team has him in ranked games, despite him countering the other team's top lane, they're going to lose.

He just plain sucks now. Long live nasus. Sure, Nasus can get kited by any charlie brown, but his slow and getting off 1 farmed siphon strike can make or break a team fight.

But let's be real, the real deal to play top lane with nowadays (that isn't always banned) has to be Malphite.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

commanderAIK
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2014 8:21pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

His kit is completely out of date. He's an example of "nerfed into oblivion" imo. He has his uses, but there are so many better choices out there. I just find him to be a waste of space in team fights, simply because of how easy he is to ignore. He doesn't do much damage unless you build damage, and even if you do, they'll break you into pieces easily. You can't initiate. You can barely peel with a somewhat mediocre stun that requires rage to fully utilyze. His armor pen is nice for your team, but the gap in which you can drill people often puts you into bad places.

He's a cursed champion. Whatever team has him in ranked games, despite him countering the other team's top lane, they're going to lose.

He just plain sucks now. Long live nasus. Sure, Nasus can get kited by any charlie brown, but his slow and getting off 1 farmed siphon strike can make or break a team fight.

But let's be real, the real deal to play top lane with nowadays (that isn't always banned) has to be Malphite.

I guess it really depends on experience and opinion. We're both entitled to our own
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide