Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Champion Design Rant Thread

Creator: jamespongebob August 7, 2014 5:17pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:44pm | Report
Jinx; They portrayed her insanity very very poorly. Oh she got bored, killed millions and now she's in the league because reasons! Oki nicies. Totally not one dimensional and all

Thresh; He's pretty cool for a monster and all, no real complaints

Zed; Don't know why, but I always think of him as an assassin rather than a ninja which is why his armor and weapons throw me off

Vi; Extremely one dimensional and based solely on a stereotype

A very large amount of characters in league aren't complex at all and it seems like the staff doesn't care about personalities anymore, I mean heck, they don't even add a reason for them joining the league because reasons hence I believe this thread is going to take a while to cover all the problems LOL
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:46pm | Report
This is a gameplay issue, not a design issue. Design being anything about their appearance, quirks, voice acting, personality and lore.

Well in that case...her splash art bothers me. Seriously.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
jamespongebob's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:49pm | Report
And btw, is it just me or is her icon different from her face in the splash art? Like, I don't get that at all.
My Guides

Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:50pm | Report
Everything is wrong with the new twitch model. The 3d animation team sucks at Riot.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:50pm | Report
Alright, here we go. I will try to keep it short.
  • Jinx - Oh boy! I don't even know where to start really. Jinx makes no sense whatsoever, and don't tell me that's the poing because that's just an excuse for lazy design and not thinking things through. Jinx is, as far I can see, not a psychopath. I mean sure, some people like blowing stuff up, and some of them are psychopaths. However, no one is going to dedicate their life to this. Also, her entire existence makes Caitlyn and Vi look like ****ing idiots. Jinx runs around, blows **** up, but they can't ever catch her?! Ever?! Damn, is Caitlyn like Piltover's Chief Wiggum (In case you don't know who that is; stop watching MLP and start watching The Simpsons)?

Then, in-game, she's one of the most immobile adcs in the game, which doesn't seem to match anything that her backstory shows. The innate, Q, and W are alright in terms of design but the E is really random. Same with the R. While her dream is to have thousands of rockets blowing stuff up, I don't know why she already has one. It really makes no sense to me.

In short, Jinx' entire personality revolves around blowing stuff up. She's probably supposed to be a psychopath, but Riot seems to have done no research whatsoever on that point as none of her actions and quotes seem to reflect this.

Her appearance is strange as **** too. Like she has this odd attire of lots of belts and some weird homemade bikini top or sth? What is that? And why isn't she wearing anything more.. uh practical? Same with her hairdo, the braids are practical but then it's so long that it could pose a serious threat to her health if she was running. Oh well, maybe she just gets off on getting strangled with her own hair, who knows?
  • Thresh - Don't have much to say about Thresh, I think he's really solid design. The fact that he's a support is a really neat spin on his appearance. We'd all expect a fiendish spectre to be an ap carry, but he's not! The only really weird thing I can find here is that he's a ranged tank, which, from a balancing aspect, is asking for problems.

His original design was way too overpowered which has been a big problem for the longest of time. I also don't really like that he's a tank but then again, that kind of fits his playstyle in-game. Thresh' appearance is spooky, unique and connects with his lore and character. There's an air of mysticism that surrounds him and thankfully they did never explain his origins.
  • Zed - Uh mixed feelings. I think Zed looks fine, he's a dark ninja and really looks like one. His appearance seems to be heavily inspired by the Shredder from the TMNT franchise. This is fine but makes him less unique. The tekagi-shuko are, sadly, an underused weapon in fantasy games and I'm happy to see them explored. I think the giant shurkens are a tad odd, but from a gameplay perspective it was the right thing to do.

The whole shadow concept is really nice but I feel like they could've done more with it. I do am happy that his backstory is filled with a mystery that isn't really explained. It should remain that way.

I was pleasantly surprised by his quotes though, which really show that he is not just some evil ninja guy who loves being evil. He has his own philosophy which is really well expressed through his quotes; "Tradition is the corpse of wisdom." is a great one.
  • Vi - In the end I'm fairly disappointed by Vi's design. Overall it feels really cheap to me. Vi's armour, at first, seems reasonable to me; it's one plate, held together with, seemingly, strong belts but then there's the infamous boob plates which are just plain stupid. And then there's this weird piece of cloth sticking out? Is that a tutu? What is that?! And more importantly, why is it there? Is it like a hint to remind us that Vi is, in fact, female? I... I really don't know who came up with that. Speaking of random things, what's up with the goggles?

Then there's the gauntlets, which I really hate. Obviously they're called hextech gauntlets cuz we gotta be League-y. However, first, her backstory makes no real sense. I mean she isn't a scientist or engineer, but apparently has the ability to turn things into giant gauntlets. And the point is, it wasn't necessary. Why can't we have a female boxing champion? I mean, Lee Sin fights bare-handed, and he has bigger issues in life.

This kind of design really makes me think of a middle-aged, balding, businessman who has a tiny ***** and therefore buys a Lamborghini to compensate. This is like compensating for the lack of depth the character and her backstory have.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:51pm | Report
And btw, is it just me or is her icon different from her face in the splash art? Like, I don't get that at all.
They've been doing that for a while. They render out the champion and slap it on a gradient, solid color or something similar, rather than have stuff from the splash be in the icon. Jinx's ingame icon has a pink BG.

Sometimes they change it up a bit too. See Jinx, Riven, etc.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:52pm | Report
Quoted:
Thresh has a kusarigama, ********.

Thank you for that reference. Have all my +rep.
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:55pm | Report
Alright, here we go. I will try to keep it short.
  • Jinx - Oh boy! I don't even know where to start really. Jinx makes no sense whatsoever, and don't tell me that's the poing because that's just an excuse for lazy design and not thinking things through. Jinx is, as far I can see, not a psychopath. I mean sure, some people like blowing stuff up, and some of them are psychopaths. However, no one is going to dedicate their life to this. Also, her entire existence makes Caitlyn and Vi look like ****ing idiots. Jinx runs around, blows **** up, but they can't ever catch her?! Ever?! Damn, is Caitlyn like Piltover's Chief Wiggum (In case you don't know who that is; stop watching MLP and start watching The Simpsons)?

Then, in-game, she's one of the most immobile adcs in the game, which doesn't seem to match anything that her backstory shows. The innate, Q, and W are alright in terms of design but the E is really random. Same with the R. While her dream is to have thousands of rockets blowing stuff up, I don't know why she already has one. It really makes no sense to me.

In short, Jinx' entire personality revolves around blowing stuff up. She's probably supposed to be a psychopath, but Riot seems to have done no research whatsoever on that point as none of her actions and quotes seem to reflect this.

Her appearance is strange as **** too. Like she has this odd attire of lots of belts and some weird homemade bikini top or sth? What is that? And why isn't she wearing anything more.. uh practical? Same with her hairdo, the braids are practical but then it's so long that it could pose a serious threat to her health if she was running. Oh well, maybe she just gets off on getting strangled with her own hair, who knows?
  • Thresh - Don't have much to say about Thresh, I think he's really solid design. The fact that he's a support is a really neat spin on his appearance. We'd all expect a fiendish spectre to be an ap carry, but he's not! The only really weird thing I can find here is that he's a ranged tank, which, from a balancing aspect, is asking for problems.

His original design was way too overpowered which has been a big problem for the longest of time. I also don't really like that he's a tank but then again, that kind of fits his playstyle in-game. Thresh' appearance is spooky, unique and connects with his lore and character. There's an air of mysticism that surrounds him and thankfully they did never explain his origins.
  • Zed - Uh mixed feelings. I think Zed looks fine, he's a dark ninja and really looks like one. His appearance seems to be heavily inspired by the Shredder from the TMNT franchise. This is fine but makes him less unique. The tekagi-shuko are, sadly, an underused weapon in fantasy games and I'm happy to see them explored. I think the giant shurkens are a tad odd, but from a gameplay perspective it was the right thing to do.

The whole shadow concept is really nice but I feel like they could've done more with it. I do am happy that his backstory is filled with a mystery that isn't really explained. It should remain that way.

I was pleasantly surprised by his quotes though, which really show that he is not just some evil ninja guy who loves being evil. He has his own philosophy which is really well expressed through his quotes; "Tradition is the corpse of wisdom." is a great one.
  • Vi - In the end I'm fairly disappointed by Vi's design. Overall it feels really cheap to me. Vi's armour, at first, seems reasonable to me; it's one plate, held together with, seemingly, strong belts but then there's the infamous boob plates which are just plain stupid. And then there's this weird piece of cloth sticking out? Is that a tutu? What is that?! And more importantly, why is it there? Is it like a hint to remind us that Vi is, in fact, female? I... I really don't know who came up with that. Speaking of random things, what's up with the goggles?

Then there's the gauntlets, which I really hate. Obviously they're called hextech gauntlets cuz we gotta be League-y. However, first, her backstory makes no real sense. I mean she isn't a scientist or engineer, but apparently has the ability to turn things into giant gauntlets. And the point is, it wasn't necessary. Why can't we have a female boxing champion? I mean, Lee Sin fights bare-handed, and he has bigger issues in life.

This kind of design really makes me think of a middle-aged, balding, businessman who has a tiny ***** and therefore buys a Lamborghini to compensate. This is like compensating for the lack of depth the character and her backstory have.

I agree. Most of the other Piltoverian lore makes Caitlyn look so incompetent, and I honestly thing Caitlyn is such a badass character personality-wise. Her voice really suits her as well. Also, her letting Vi of the hook doesn't match her personality, as she's been doing fine alone as far as I can tell.
My Guides

GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:56pm | Report
Quoted:
They've been doing that for a while. They render out the champion and slap it on a gradient, solid color or something similar, rather than have stuff from the splash be in the icon. Jinx's ingame icon has a pink BG.

Yasuo is another good example:

jamespongebob
<Wingman>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2014 5:57pm | Report
Quoted:

Her face looks different. Her eyes are more opened.
My Guides

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide