Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Picking a new champion - the Criteria

Creator: Cath4rsis April 23, 2013 9:21pm
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 2:19am | Report
i dunno demacia always seemed boring to me which bland champions like garen and xin and jarven, lore-wise, always saying "FOR THE KING"

even though noxus isnt any better because theyre all "YOUR BLOOD WILL BE ON MY WEAPON" but at least the concepts for them are a bit better than demacias

ive like piltover because steampunk is my favorite thing but caitlyn is really the only champion from there ive really liked

and i find myself not liking the "good guy" champions, they seem boring to me compared to the bad or evil champions plus they almost always look cooler than the good guy champions
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 2:30am | Report
The reason why I start playing a champ:
The looks and the popularity (the more popular, the less likely chance I will buy him, the less popular, the more likely I buy him :P)

The reason why I keep playing the champ:
The gameplay and the viability

The reason why I love the champ:
Has a high annoyance factor towards the enemy

I am always attracted to champions with little love, like Sejuani or Urgot or sumthing.
For that reason, I get interested in that champ, but if I hate the gameplay and it is not viable at all, I will not keep playing :D

Some champions out there, which allow you to beastly annoy the enemy, are champions I really love :D
Like invincible Mundo or mushroom kingdom Teemo :D
I really love making the enemies hate me :3
Change is gooooood

Je suis le bee
~ Meiyjhe ~
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
ShortyHUN
<Member>
ShortyHUN's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 2:41am | Report
I like the tanky ones with high mobility :P Like Renekton, Wukong, Jax, Jarvan IV etc, who cares which faction, who cares about his ideals and ****, i'm controlling now *insert evil laugh*

So yea i buy these champs, if i don't really like it i just drop and try another, but usually trying them when they are free.

If i want to keep/learn a champ and i just don't like his basic skin i check the others and maybe buy one if i'm doing good with him... meh so spoiled :P

Feel free to +rep me if i helped any way!
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 2:47am | Report
i dunno man the reason i dont play a few champions is because of the lines they spew out every time i click a minion or click the ground to walk somewhere (looking at you veigar, that was not a short joke and their souls will not be yours)
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 8:00am | Report
Oh. OP is a weeaboo too. I'm out. Lore was so ****ty riot even stopped writing it.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Cath4rsis
<Member>
Cath4rsis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 8:10am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

The reason why I start playing a champ:
The looks and the popularity (the more popular, the less likely chance I will buy him, the less popular, the more likely I buy him :P)

The reason why I keep playing the champ:
The gameplay and the viability

The reason why I love the champ:
Has a high annoyance factor towards the enemy

I am always attracted to champions with little love, like Sejuani or Urgot or sumthing.
For that reason, I get interested in that champ, but if I hate the gameplay and it is not viable at all, I will not keep playing :D

Some champions out there, which allow you to beastly annoy the enemy, are champions I really love :D
Like invincible Mundo or mushroom kingdom Teemo :D
I really love making the enemies hate me :3

I've never cared much about popularity, to be honest! But yes, it's cool if you can annoy the enemy with champions that aren't used that much. The element of surprise!

I have a friend that likes champions that can annoy the enemy. Little dudes like Veigar, Ziggs and Shaco are his personal fave. And believe me - he annoys them.
+ sign by the-nameless-bard
Kinen
<Member>
Kinen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 8:42am | Report
Pretty much every factor influences my decisions. Lore can really increase my investment in a character, but that does not happen much these days. The recent lore generally feels very shallow. I leapt on Syndra as soon as she was released, but I actually found her lore to be boring. That said, the old champion judgements did have a large effect. Lux's judgement, for example, adds a bit of interest to the boring Mary Sue that is her lore. But, with judgements no longer being written and the new character lore being very lackluster, lore mostly serves to enhance the aesthetic.

Speaking of which, character design plays a significant role. There are some champions I've not even tried (e.g. Urgot) because they are simply repulsive. Then, there are some that I've leapt upon because I loved how they looked and sounded, such as Leona.

(Note: Obviously, tier lists differ. Several of my tier 2s are 3s in other lists).
Ultimately, strength and kit decide whether or not I like a champion. I could love the design of a champion, but if they are just plain **** I am not going to enjoy playing them ( Fiora). But then, even if they are brilliant, I need to enjoy them. I own several tier 1 mid laners, but I only play Lux with any degree of frequency because I've just not found myself able to enjoy the kits of the others. If I play them a bit more, I might come to do so, but for now, the fact that they are strong does not alone motivate me to play them.

A champion has to be viable, have a fun kit and be aesthetically pleasing to me for me to enjoy them. Being particularly strong in any of those three areas will make me prioritise them for purchase.
Sig by Kinen|Nayaad
that's my IGN
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 9:30am | Report
Vorthos is an MTG player profile. This is a nice, short overview of the profiles, although the original 2002 and 2006 articles by Rosewater are also good reading for understanding why people play games and why people play games differently.

Throat is a huge Spike (although he has elements from other profiles, of course). Perhaps to the point where he doesn't understand why others could view the game differently. A decent number of other people here are similar in outlook, as am I, in that we want to play things that are powerful. I mean, winning games is fun.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Cath4rsis
<Member>
Cath4rsis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2013 9:06pm | Report
Yes, winning games is indeed fun - I like winning, I really do, but I'm really passive towards losing. I've had games so cool and fun that I actually lost that I ended up saying "damn, that was one hell of a game", and I've had games that I lost that made me go bat**** crazy at everything lol related.
+ sign by the-nameless-bard
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2013 2:34am | Report
I always look at viability first. I normally look for champions I could end up playing first (mainly solo tops and ADCs, that is). If there aren't any interesting/strong champs for that role, look for strong champs in other roles to trade with my teammates in team ranked or solo queue.

I also occasionally buy a champ without really thinking about it properly (prime example of this is Rengar, who I bought after watching the dekar173 - aka "Best Rengar NA" - stream), but so far I haven't regretted any of those purchases :3

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide