Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Possible to climb ELO as only Support?

Creator: R4GE March 30, 2014 12:46pm
1 2
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 12:46pm | Report
Greetings!

Currently I'm a Support/Jungle Main but Support is the only role I'm doing well with so I'm wondering, can I gain ELO while only playing as Support?
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 12:53pm | Report
Is the Pope Catholic?
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 12:59pm | Report
Yes you can. Saying this with experience.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 1:07pm | Report
The pope isn't catholic, get you facts straight.

Btw, thanks for the response.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 1:09pm | Report
fine then >.>

DO bears **** in the woods?

but in all seriousness it won't be a free ride to the top. In fact Supports have to do more for the team than anyone else besides maybe the jungler. the sooner you know what's up the easier it will be for you to carry the carry.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 1:33pm | Report
i think most of the high elo players (high plat-high diamond) on mobafire are actually support or jungle mains, so yes it is possible
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 3:12pm | Report
R4GE wrote:

Greetings!

Currently I'm a Support/Jungle Main but Support is the only role I'm doing well with so I'm wondering, can I gain ELO while only playing as Support?

Yes.
Find a champ that fits your playstyle, and totally spam it in ranked. In my opinion, the best way to win ranked is to pick a champ that has the potential to snowball their carries in the early game, but doesn't rely on snowballing their carries.

My preferred support of choice is Morgana. Being 18W/4L on her, I've seen quite a bit of success on her. Her dark binding is possibly the single greatest level 1 invading spell you could possibly have. In fact, i've invaded successfully in just about every single game i've played with morgana.

The reason i like her best through, is that she has the potential to abuse solo queue players' greatest weaknesses - TOWER SIEGES. Her dark binding can allow for easy picks during tower dives, which makes her a great siege/dive champ. Her snare gives protection during tower dives and 10,000% shuts down ANY melee carry. Her snare, even when away from towers is the best kind of initiate. It's an initiate where if you snare someone important or someone who's caught out, it's easy to jump on them, and if you snare someone you don't want to jump on, you can just kinda walk away and wait another 6 seconds for your next snare. Lastly, her snare is a really strong disengage.

Her Black Shield is strong versus both AP and AD champs. It's strong vs AP champs because it negates their burst and any initial CC that follows, and it's strong vs AD because it allows your target to basically have CC immunity for 5 seconds, which can allow for easy kiting.

Lastly, she deals just enough damage that she's considered a threat and can be focused. It means that you can't be ignored. Your soul shackles + a zhonyas will cause some confusion about who to focus.

TL;DR the way to carry as a support in soloqueue is find something that everyone else sucks at, and get good at it. I think ppl suck at defending towers, and focusing the right people in team fights. Exploit their weaknesses
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
NorthernRedStar
<Member>
NorthernRedStar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 3:39pm | Report
Yes, you can. However, it might be beneficial to try find an ADC main or jungler duo to boost your chances of winning the lane and overall carrying the game.

Especially in lower elos, a good support can definitely carry as a shotcaller.
Gaze into Oblivion in my Vel'koz Guide!
Signature by Emikadon

OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 3:44pm | Report
If you wanna carry as a support just pick up Leona and Morgana. Leo is braindead easy to get early kills with and can snowball bot lane uncontrollably, and Morgana counters Leona, and has the luxury of building AP if fed, making her a second damage dealer. Also her shield is borderline ******ed.

Alternatively, Thresh is also pretty strong for carrying.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2014 6:03pm | Report
I have 21 Lulu games, 71.4% winrate. Of those, 4 were not as a support, and 2 of those were defeats (1-1 mid lu, 1-0 ADC lulu, 0-1). She is, IMO, the best "reaction" support for a meta where support players are still relying a lot on massive lane engagers, her "downfall" being mainly that she's more wanted mid (other good "reaction" supports are Janna and Morg, although Janna can't make a lot happen, she's more a showstopper, and Morgana has a harder time protecting)

So yes, you can carry as a support. All you need is a solid style and adequate reactions to the situations you're presented, like knowing WHO needs to be CC'd and WHO needs to get their *** covered because they'll do something/survive it and not just waste CDs and let the enemy assassin wreck your team because you're uncoordinated.
Thank you Tsuki for the sig!

1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide