Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ranked Solo vs. Ranked 5s

Creator: Re4XN December 7, 2015 11:07am
1 2
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2015 11:07am | Report
Which one do you consider the hardest to play?

On the one hand, in YoloQ, you can rarely rely on your teammates and communication is limited. This obviously means the same could be happening on the enemy team as well.

On the other hand, in ranked 5s you have (presumably) access to communication with your teammates 24/7 and they are people you know what to expect from them, making the decision of trusting them in certain plays easier. However, the enemy team has this exact same benefit.

Also, regarding ranks, you can queue with about anyone in 5s, so say I am Silver I and go play R 5s with my Diamond V friends. Although some might claim this is called "carrying" they forget that the "noob" is facing Diamonds as well, while in SoloQ you won't face any opponents much higher than your current rank.

What's your opinion? Which one is "easier" to climb?
Simsons2
<Member>
Simsons2's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2015 11:24am | Report
Easiest to climb is fresh account you just start doing placements in if you got the skill for it.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2015 11:25am | Report
I consider ranked 5's harder to play, in that there exists a higher quality of gameplay. Mistakes will be punished more easily
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2015 1:48pm | Report
utopus wrote:
I consider ranked 5's harder to play, in that there exists a higher quality of gameplay. Mistakes will be punished more easily
This. The quality of the ladder is just better. People who are high on ranked 5s know what they're doing and the game plays the way it's intended to be played.

On top of that, to climb on ranked 5s you need to polish a set of skills that can't be trained in soloqueue. Some high elo players often forget this and proceed to lose a lot of games with their team (hence you see a bunch of plats/diamonds in a silver/bronze team).

On the carrying issue, a low elo player would probably drag down the elo of the whole team and he would end up being a bit higher than deserved. So he would be getting carried to some degree. There's also the case of someone who won 10 games when a team was bronze/silver and then a bunch of high elo players got the account to gold or plat or whatever, and Riot should do something about it because it's as good as getting eloboosted.
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 2:03am | Report
Depends. If ranked 5s includes competitive play, than ranked 5s. If we're speaking strictly the ranked 5s queue and ladder, then I'd say soloq. The ranked 5s ladder is a bit of a joke. A group of average D1 players can grind out challenger 5s in 50~ games if they have 1 guy who can shotcall and isn't a moron.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 4:06am | Report
Depends. If ranked 5s includes competitive play, than ranked 5s. If we're speaking strictly the ranked 5s queue and ladder, then I'd say soloq. The ranked 5s ladder is a bit of a joke. A group of average D1 players can grind out challenger 5s in 50~ games if they have 1 guy who can shotcall and isn't a moron.

Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 8:38am | Report
A group of average D1 players can grind out challenger 5s in 50~ games if they have 1 guy who can shotcall and isn't a moron.

its more like mid dia~high dia

my group of friends were like that

ranked 5s is 100% a joke in lower ranks and when you get higher it kinda stagnates for a bit but is still easier compared to solo q depending on the ppl u play with.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 9:32am | Report
I've never really seriously went for it, but every time I randomly grouped up with some people with about the same solo queue rank I've found it harder. Some games are dead easy, but good teams will murder you even if it seems even on individual skill. Team communication was ****py as hell though, so no real surprise.

I feel that team communication is way more relevant in team ranked, which is another thing to train and master. So I'd say solo queue is easier.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2015 1:29am | Report
A group of average D1 players can grind out challenger 5s in 50~ games

I found the D1 players, guys!
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2015 1:39am | Report
Ekki wrote:
On top of that, to climb on ranked 5s you need to polish a set of skills that can't be trained in soloqueue. Some high elo players often forget this and proceed to lose a lot of games with their team (hence you see a bunch of plats/diamonds in a silver/bronze team).

I'm pretty sure a big part of this is simply the difference in matchmaking, from my own experience playing ranked 5s it is far from uncommon to run into teams with 5 diamond (solo) members while your 5v5 elo is still gold. It honestly doesn't make much sense.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide