Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Something about the advice I have been getting...

Creator: Kazega October 13, 2012 4:08pm
1 2
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 4:08pm | Report
Hey all.

As many of you know I am prone to irrational outbursts of frustration when it comes to things like my ELO and getting better. This is compounded greatly by the sort of advice I have been getting when it comes to asking around for advice and help. However the only advice I seem to be getting as of late are along the lines of "carry better" and "do better"

HOW THE **** DOES THAT HELP ME!?!

How exactly do I "carry better" "Die less" or just straight up "do better." If I am asking questions about what is going wrong then I sure as hell don't know what the **** I am doing wrong to fix it so these generic answers are not helping me at all.
WOMBO
<Member>
WOMBO's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 4:10pm | Report
I think "die less" is solid advice. =p

I have no idea what elo you are or who you are but if you have some videos or something I can help maybe. I'm hovering around 1500 currently
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 4:24pm | Report
My advice to climb the ranked ladder is to duo queue with someone close to your skill level, pick a role and/or champion(s) that you're good with and work on excelling with them. Specialization is a really important aspect. It's best to have a couple champs per role that you know inside and out, then probably focus on one or two roles that you do best in.

Climbing elo is more than just playing well, you have to influence the game more than the best player on the enemy team. This means if your bot lane feeds, you have to get more fed than their AD. Especially when climbing out of low elo, you should pick champions that can snowball an advantage and (relatively) single-handedly carry a game. Once you approach your natural elo, you'll probably notice other members of your team contributing as much or more than you, but until you reach that point, you'll have to carry your team a lot.

example:

I usually duo with wrathofvulcan who mains mid. I main jungle, so we can work together to make sure our team gets a mid game advantage. Mid and jungle both have large early and mid game impact and can roam more effectively than other roles.

My main champions for solo queue:
Jungler: Amumu, Skarner
AP: Lux, Kennen
Top: Riven, Malphite
AD: Ezreal, Ashe
Support: Leona, Janna

I can play a lot more champions than just those, but most of the time I try to get the champions I'm most experienced with. It can help you improve your gameplay surprisingly effectively. I didn't notice what I was missing until I started to specialize in particular champions.

Hope that helps.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 4:53pm | Report
^ Duo bot works well and is fun. :)
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 4:58pm | Report
Well, first you need to know that you are not good. Honestly only those who are in competive play are good, and not even all of them.
Then you need to know what you do not can or knew, yet.
Watch streams and ask better players.

I for myself started to duoQ with some ppl, who were smurfing.

At first the blame they gave to me was rahter annoying, but with the time beeing I used that blame to improve myself.
Even now when I do 5s Rankeds with strawhatbro, I still learn much from him, even if he does not main Jungle, while I do so... haha...
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 5:08pm | Report
TBH I've seen you play, and the only advice I'd give is get better :P
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 5:15pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

TBH I've seen you play, and the only advice I'd give is get better :P
Where? Where do I need to get better? This is the kind of Generic advice I am getting constantly and I hate it. Yes you have seen me play Asian. I know I need to get better, BUT HOW! that is what I have a problem with right now. HOW THE **** DO I GET TO WHERE I NEED TO BE
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 6:05pm | Report
Be better at everything, is what I'm saying.

CSing, teamfighting, judgement calls, snowballing your lane, warding, reacting to ganks (both for and against), build paths, general mechanics, champion specific mechanics, etc.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
WaffleWarrior
<Member>
WaffleWarrior's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2012 7:28pm | Report
If you find out what you need to work on by yourself instead of having people tell you, you will see a more dramatic increase in skill.

Thanks for the amazing sigs Brynolf,JEFFY40HANDS, Katoki, and myself
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2012 8:22am | Report
Sorry if you don't get the advice you want, but IT'S NOT OUR ****ING JOB TO MAKE YOU BETTER. If you really want to get better, buy a mentoring service, don't come on a free message board and charge the community with dropping the ball. Honestly, most of us don't even know you, and would give no ***** if you fell off the face of the earth, much less 'got better at a video game'

tl;dr get over yourself, we don't owe you ****
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide