Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

statik shiv or phantom dancer?

Creator: Silfatos June 7, 2013 7:09am
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 5:26am | Report
Overall PD is better for autoattacks/kiting. Shiv is good for pushing (if your team lacks waveclear) and if you want to sit on Avarice Blade for a long time. Pretty much the only champion I would normally take shiv on is Ezreal
Yoko318
<Member>
Yoko318's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 10:59am | Report
Since whenever I'm playing ADC I'm usually using Sivir, I personally prefer the Phantom Dancer. PD gives a higher crit chance, and by the time I go for even my Zeal I usually already have an Infinity Edge, so the higher crit chance is so worth it.
zNikitoX
<Member>
zNikitoX's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 8:51pm | Report
If you are AoE champion, get Phantom Dancer, if you are single target and want to push, get Shiv.
Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results...
Aresous
<Member>
Aresous's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 9:55pm | Report
Tisk tisk, throw out the stats, whichever item costs more is better!
JK... In all seriousness I prefer the Phantom Dancer for most ADCs that need the extra DPS.
Then use Shiv for, I'd say, team fight oriented battles, for when you're sitting behind your team you can use the active power to deal extra damage. Also, in a way, it could be used for lane push with the extra movement speed. Just remember take into account what champion you're playing. Different stats can be better for different champions.
Improve your Jax!!!
(60%) Complete

Hello! Please, hit that +Rep button if I did you any good or helped at all. Thanks! :)
kT coffee
<Member>
kT coffee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2013 1:49am | Report
Shiv if it's all you can afford before a big imminent fight/contest like Baron or if you're snowballing hard and would normally go PD (if you're snowballing on Graves or MF, you'll want a Whisper or even IE or BT after whichever you completed first because of their scaling) since the direct burst is better in those scenarios.

PD is better overall and has the most efficient multiplicative scaling with crit on ADs. And yes, even if you were to go BT into PD, the additional attack speed and crit will largely outscale Shiv in the long run. Certain ADs such as Vayne and Graves (especially Vayne because of her ult/tumble, but Graves as well because of his lower range) can greatly benefit from the unit collision of PD as well.

On a side note, Shiv can be rushed on Ashe and Cait situationally if all you want to do is shove or rice the lane out hard. Especially strong if you run them midlane since you can easily outfarm anyone with how hard you will shove waves and be able to clear wraith camps successively.
Joshified
<Member>
Joshified's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2013 9:41pm | Report
I just really dislike people buying Avarice Blade for laning phase.
Unless you are ******edly far ahead and have comeplete safety in lane I guess it is an option, but if you buy this item to early you lose a lot of laning phase and early game damage because you opted for crit rather than ad damage.
Also, since you are probably planning on building the shiv early, due to the magic damage being vastly superior earlier, you are making the Avarice Blade a whole lot less cost effective if you don't get to abuse it's passive.

Phantom Dancer > Statikk Shiv, for late game single target damage.
Statikk Shiv > Phantom Dancer, for early game AoE and splitpushing.
Situational.

Though Statikk Shiv does deal more damage than Phantom Dancer around mid game, it will be out scaled the longer the game goes.

Mundo goes where he pleases.

And pleases, where he goes.

IAmYourDogLoL
<Member>
IAmYourDogLoL's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2013 6:17am | Report
I'd personally go with a Phantom dancer but a static shiv is cheap and is quite a nice item with that AoE but the PD is stronger for single target attacking.
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2013 11:23am | Report
theres almost no situation where shiv beats pd.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2013 12:07pm | Report
Yeah, Shiv is just basically a worse, but cheaper version of PD. I'm willing to bet PD is more cost-effective though.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2013 12:26pm | Report

theres almost no situation where shiv beats pd.

Wat aboot trondamore?!
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide