Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Taric rework creates unrealistic body images...

Creator: Mooninites April 6, 2016 4:05pm
1 2
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2016 4:05pm | Report

The sexists over at Riot games have just released their taric rework and I for one have to say I am shocked. I have a young son that loves league of legends and he loves taric, but I don't want him to grow up ashamed of his body image because he doesn't look like Taric. I mean, just look at that pose, the puffed up and built chest, the elongated and muscular arms, the flowing hair, perfect jawline complexion. It is absolutely disgusting and sexist that Riot would appeal to female gamers in such a sexual way, but obviously we know this is just another example among thousands of the sexist gamer culture at work. I for one am outraged that Riot would choose such a blatantly sexual pose for a champion like Taric that promotes the Matriarchy and unrealistic male body images.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2016 4:25pm | Report
I thought this was a thread by Fatelblade ar first glance. Also I detest this sort of eye candy that's deliberately trying to draw the interest of women and other men loving minorities.

Basically MOBAFire.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2016 5:19pm | Report
He's ugly af tho

Spoiler: Click to view
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2016 1:24am | Report

Unacceptable.
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2016 5:59pm | Report
Wait, hold on Mooninites....you've got the wrong assumption here. You have a very valid point that your son being ashamed of his own body because Taric's makes it look bad by comparison is a terrible thing (definitely agree with you there). The problem is that in order for your son (or anyone) to have that ashamed reaction when seeing Taric in all his studliness, he would have the wrong mindset and expectations to begin with.

Taric is fantasy. He's a hero. Humans love heroes because they look up to them and admire them. When I see Taric, I think "Wow he looks amazing!", not "Gee I feel bad for not looking like him." Fantasy is a form of escapism, where you basically project yourself/your identity into some other being, which is Taric in this case, because it's fun and impossible to do in real life. That's why we love Superman and Captain America and Wonder Woman. We obviously can't fly or hold up a skyscraper with one hand, but Superman can and we love him for it. He's a role model that we look up to - the focus is directed from us towards the hero, not the other way around.

The point of fantasy and heroes is not for us to use them as a mirror to belittle ourselves with. Superman doesn't set a bar for every male in the world to meet - we aren't expected to fly or have Henry Cavill's chiseled jawline. That's why he's Superman; that's what sets him apart. Similarly, Taric having perfectly sculpted muscles, flowing hair, and a broad chest doesn't mean your son is a worse person for not having those things - Taric is a hero, someone worth writing stories about, and your son is one of many millions of boys around the world who want heroes to look up to.

The bottom line is that a fictional character's looks alone shouldn't make us feel bad about ourselves because we don't look amazing like they do.

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2016 6:04pm | Report
On the other hand, oversexualization in videogames is a hot mess of a topic that Taric definitely qualifies for.

Though to be fair to Riot, I'm guessing a large part of the inspiration for his new artwork is all the player-created memes and pictures involving Taric, Ezreal, and max penetration :P

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2016 6:53pm | Report
moon doesnt even have a sun

pls

FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2016 7:21am | Report
You should help your son cosplay as taric from the youngest of ages, pit him on a gym and get him used to having a paper bag over his face when he masturbates.
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
Cikhir
<Member>
Cikhir's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2016 2:05am | Report
IMO this whole sexualizing in every big online game ain't really a big thing anymore. Considering the body image the entire sociaty is putting up with, this is just another "thing" of it. I'd rather see fit and trained (not like 10% bodyfat trained) youths than overweight, since I've been there and trust me it sucks once you realize it's nowhere near good for your health.

And if you meant the hair, noone says that you need to get the same hairstyle as a "sexy in-game character".
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2016 2:56pm | Report
You need to get the same hairstyle as a "sexy in-game character".
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide