Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The Rolling League of Legends Game Design...

Creator: GrandmasterD May 11, 2014 1:19pm
1 2
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 1:19pm | Report

Introduction

Welcome everyone to this wonderful thread that combines competition, game design, and League of Legends. Excited yet? Well I sure am. For those who don't really know me, I'm GrandmasterD, GrandmistressD or simply GMD and I'm not just a League player and enthusiast but I also love Game Design, and when I'm not playing League I'm usually working something out for my own game or doing some programming for my game engine.

Anyway, with that said, I noticed that a lot of gamers (read: everyone) always have commentary on how a game is designed or how specific aspects should be different... Okay, I know that comes off as a "Lemme show you how hard it is" kind of idea but this really isn't. This is just a place where everyone can show off their skills in game design and see for themselves how it is to design a game. Also, I think that it's easier for eachother's work to be found.

Setting Up Criteria & Judging

Alright so you're up to come up with the setting for a new contest, that's not always easy. Well, first some general guidelines to stick to. For instance, it's good to stick to one game element at the time. Game elements include, but are not limited to; Champions, Effects, Items, and Structures. General roles such as 'Support' or 'Marksman' are considered to be too complex. After all, the competitors only have up to 96 hours to come up with something. However, you should also refrain from very restrictive criteria; there should be plenty of room for creativity. Other than that, you're free to come up with any criteria you like. You can ask for reworks, overhauls, QoL changes, new champions, new items, etcetera.

Now some rules regarding judging. Regardless of the nature of the contest, there will always be five criteria to judge. Points will be awarded for each, and the one with the most points will be the winner. Easy enough right? Now here they are:
  • Balancing (10 Points) - An idea that will alter the game has to be balanced; it shouldn't be underpowered nor overpowered. Simple.
  • Criteria (10 Points) - Did you really provide just QoL changes or did you go overboard with a full blown rework? These points aren't always that easy.
  • Efficiency (10 Points) - How much change does your idea need? Are you the guy to rework the vision system again because of Evelynn or are you more crafty?
  • Theme (5 Points) - Does your idea fit the overall theme of the contest? Giving Darius a pixie wand might not be the best idea to preserve his badassness.
  • Creativity (5 Points) - Is your idea flashy and new or do we all get the impression that we've seen it before?

Rules

Every game needs rules and this - hopefully - evergoing contest is no exception, so without further ado:
  1. General Forum Rules apply.
  2. All submissions are posted in this thread.
  3. Stick to the criteria given. Discussing your submissing with other people in here is allowed but posting anything that doesn't match the current contest will be considered spam and derailing.
  4. When judging, stick to the grading guidelines and explain your choices. No need for an entire novel but a reasoning of about one or two sentences is required.
  5. The Winner of the last competition creates the criteria for the next. If they do not do so within 24 hours, the runner up will have the chance to create the criteria.
  6. Competitions must be open for 24-96 hours. Judging must then occur by the creator within 24 hours of the end of the competition.
  7. If there are no submissions within 24 hours of the start of a competition, new criteria can be posted by its original creator.
  8. Each entrant is limited to only one submission.
  9. The creator of the criteria cannot, obviously, enter the contest.

Contests

List of Contests
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 1:21pm | Report
I'll start off with the first contest. Darius has been in limbo for a while now. He started off as a strong bruiser who was known to dominate the 1v1 top lane metagame. However, there were quite a bit of issues with him especially in the games with lower rated players. As a result Darius got a good chunk of nerfs which keeps him from being played.

The Challenge: Bring forth a series of QoL (Quality of Life) changes that will make Darius a viable pick even in high level play.

Good luck everyone!
jayjay333
<Member>
jayjay333's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 1:39pm | Report
how do i enter
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 1:47pm | Report
jayjay333 wrote:

how do i enter

Simply post your submission in this thread.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 1:55pm | Report
Darius weaknesses are his lack of mobility and overall lack of reliable CC. There is IMO no way to balance him well in accordance to the current metagame with only a few QOL buffs. You can't just add mobility to a champion with already crazy early game damage numbers. Nor can you buff his early game damage even harder because that'd mean his early game would become TOO overpowering with no counterplay in-lane.

If I were to change anything, I'd probably change his W to cleanse CC like GP and give a small speedbuff instead of the old slow. Remove all the other effects but leave his other skills untouched (perhaps change his passive to deal physical damage if that turns out to be a buff)

I have no clue how to fit that into his theme though and whether it really is a buff or not. Just my 2 cents.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 2:02pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Darius weaknesses are his lack of mobility and overall lack of reliable CC. There is IMO no way to balance him well in accordance to the current metagame with only a few QOL buffs. You can't just add mobility to a champion with already crazy early game damage numbers. Nor can you buff his early game damage even harder because that'd mean his early game would become TOO overpowering with no counterplay in-lane.

If I were to change anything, I'd probably change his W to cleanse CC like GP and give a small speedbuff instead of the old slow. Remove all the other effects but leave his other skills untouched (perhaps change his passive to deal physical damage if that turns out to be a buff)

I have no clue how to fit that into his theme though and whether it really is a buff or not. Just my 2 cents.

Well currently his passive grants 5% movespeed per nearby bleeding champ. You could change those numbers or make it based upon number of stacks to alter his mobility. QoL essentially means you do not touch his core gameplay. This happened to Trundle and look who now sees a lot of play? :P
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 2:03pm | Report
He lacks mobility as Vynertje said.
Therefore lower his Q cooldown, lower the base damage, lower the scaling, add effect: MS+ for champions hit (can be stacked?).

Done.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 2:10pm | Report
The current situation of Darius:
Darius is a champion that punishes the enemy players for making mistakes. If you get too close to Darius, you are pretty much dead. He is a real pain in lane due to that aspect plus the fact that he farms like a monster. However, he is also very vulnerable to ganks since his main damage source (Q) deals AoE damage, meaning that the enemy minions will be damaged by it as well, which pushes the lane.

So the 2 main issues:
- He pushes too hard
- He requires the enemy to be close to him in order to be capable of doing anything

Thus I thought of the following:
P: "Darius gains 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy champion" -> Darius gains 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy target. Movement speed increase by this passive is capped at 20%.

By increasing the reliability of the movement speed increase the 20% increased movement speed is more regular in lane. This allows him to catch up to enemies easier and escaping from enemy junglers easier as well without changing too much of his abilities.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 2:37pm | Report

I'll start off with the first contest. Darius has been in limbo for a while now. He started off as a strong bruiser who was known to dominate the 1v1 top lane metagame. However, there were quite a bit of issues with him especially in the games with lower rated players. As a result Darius got a good chunk of nerfs which keeps him from being played.

The Challenge: Bring forth a series of QoL (Quality of Life) changes that will make Darius a viable pick even in high level play.

Good luck everyone!

Give his ult complete refresh again so his ult is up at the same time as the renekton/shyv that you see often in top. Increase his base movespeed by 5 to help him out a little bit. Increase his mana/lvl so he can keep up with the resourceless champions that dominate top lane. Give him 10% armor pen on E at rank one instead of 5 so hes got the natural damage to keep up when building full tank like the other popular tops.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2014 3:43pm | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

Thus I thought of the following:
P: "Darius gains 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy champion" -> Darius gains 5% movement speed for each bleeding enemy target. Movement speed increase by this passive is capped at 20%.

By increasing the reliability of the movement speed increase the 20% increased movement speed is more regular in lane. This allows him to catch up to enemies easier and escaping from enemy junglers easier as well without changing too much of his abilities.

Might as well change his Q then.

Decimate: Does damage and Darius gains 20% movespeed.

Right now, his passive doesn't really scale to endgame. The movespeed just isn't there. Sure it's 20% at max, but that's only in teamfights. Maybe have the movespeed scale with levels? 5/7/9 possibly? Or even 5/6/7%

Or have Apprehend apply his passive too. It's the only skill that doesn't apply it, and it'd help stop his kiting problem just a little more.
True love is found only in yourself.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide