Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Thoughts on Backdooring

Creator: STRYKER29 February 7, 2011 8:31am
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 10:41am | Report
Like SixSonatas said, if you can survive team fights for long periods of time with out your autoattacker, you've already got an advantage over the other team. Whenever I lose to backdooring exclusively, the reason is that I and my teammates were not careful enough to watch for MIA opponents, and didn't bring Teleport/didn't feel the need to recall.

I'd say it's as valid a strategy as pushing two lanes at once after laning phase is over, though in some ways more risky for the weaker group of pushers.
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 11:47am | Report

Most people enjoy giving backdoors.... but most people hate receiving backdoors...

In LOL and IRL!

genius.

Either way, i LOVE to backdoor, and I do it WAAAAAAAAAAAAY tooo much, its getting unhealthy. Legit strategy and they just jelly that they cant highlander+wuju = turret down
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 12:06pm | Report

When the goal of a game is to win, and no rule prevents something, not using a tactic for fear of peoples response is irrelevant.

If you backdoor, you'd better know how to do it. If you die or cause a team fight to go south in your absence, backdooring is a bad idea.

If someone complains about backdooring, what they are really saying is "we have failed to stop a fairly basic map awareness issue." If you don't like backdooring, stop them.

There is no such thing as a bad win.

This is one of the best posts I've read in a while.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 12:34pm | Report
I personally don't like it though I understand it's an acceptable strategy. I played DotA so long the urge to be like OMG BDING NOOB every time I see it is hard to resist sometimes.

Also, there's one hero you can't stop bd no matter how much map awareness you have, Twisted Fate.

Yi is also really hard to stop even when you know he's coming.

You can't see Twitch coming unless you invest in twice as expensive wards.

Etc...

These are usually the things I get most annoyed by, and then it sets confusing in my team because we don't know if we should go back and stop him or force a teamfight. In general it seems like a cheap tactic to me, but cheap tactics still win the game.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 12:38pm | Report
Well, take a look at CLG vs. SK during the WCG Finals, Game 1. SK ran a Twisted Fate, Shen, and Kassadin, as well as packing Fortify. The US team made some bad decisions (and also had Baron stolen twice, but yeah...) but eventually lost to the European team because while they were 5-man pushing mid, SK would just 4-man hold a tower with Fortify as Twisted took down CLG's towers. However, CLG had a much stronger team-fight presence, and probably would have been able to win a 5 man teamfight vs. 4 champs and a tower - if it weren't for the fact that Twisted Fate is capable of porting in at any moment.

TF wasn't really back-dooring that game, but rather pushing towers instead of being present at a team fight because his ultimate is almost equivalent to being at the fight itself. Both that strategy and BDing are both hard to counter, but both are valid strategies.

Eventually, CLG did win the tournament because they banned TF in the next two games - but I'm not sure how they would have coped had they had to deal with TF again. Granted, the two Baron steals in game 1 were lucky on SK's part.
Haxes
<Member>
Haxes's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 12:58pm | Report
It's legitimate, but annoying to have to deal with. I've never been upset for someone backdooring my team, I just get upset at myself for not being prepared to deal with said backdoor.

Believe.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 1:02pm | Report
If you hate backdooring so much, ban Yi and take teleport.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 1:15pm | Report
Even though backdooring is a legit strategy, I just don't like it: but only because I enjoy the eventual big team fight after mid game ends, and it ruins the experience for me when one character is off ramming towers and not focusing on killing the enemy team. I don't want to say it's cowardly since there are champions who specialize in that type of play, but I frown upon it since it seems to me like a fairer win if you defeat the other opponents in a fight instead of dodging them and backdooring.
Shak3y
<Member>
Shak3y's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 1:47pm | Report
I think we are asking the wrong question. Not is backdooring wrong?

But, Why is backdooring wrong?

If anyone can give a respectable answer to that question then i will stand up against the backdoor. If not, then all must accept that the BD'ing is a good method for winning a game that has no decisive winner.
Think. analysis. and improve you game. Always
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2011 1:54pm | Report
Shak3y wrote:

But, Why is backdooring wrong?

If anyone can give a respectable answer to that question then i will stand up against the backdoor. If not, then all must accept that the BD'ing is a good method for winning a game that has no decisive winner.

It is a good method to winning the game, since LoL is not about how many kills you can get, but who can defeat each others' Nexus. Backdooring is just part of the game, though I know the majority of LoL players, especially in the US, love to have the up-all-end-all team fights to decide who will barrel through their enemies' base and win the game. I know people who enjoy the team fights will call Backdooring cowardly and wrong because that's not what they queue up for. They queue up to ace enemy teams and push down mid into their base. Not to have a tanky enough team to counterbalance a 4v5 while their Yi or Sivir take down towers while they're not paying attention: it's just something they don't like to do, so they feel it's wrong.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide