Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Your guides are ****.

Creator: throatslasher August 31, 2012 12:37pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:19pm | Report
1. Like the idea.
2. Never going to happen, because Mobafire admins created the guide not to cater to high elo, but to teach champions, and specifically dislike making anything to do with high elo better then the rest.
3. Like this idea too.
4. Like this idea, but then how will people search for good guides?
5. Would like to see this, but I doubt it will happen.
6. Like the idea, for sure.
5.5 & 5.75. Like the ideas (except for the second one), it would be nice to go through a guide before it's released, but the honest truth is that there are about 600 guides released per day, no one will be able to go through them all. We could however do something like having guides when they're featured go through this editing etc, like how the vet nominations are done right now. Don't really like the idea of a high elo ranked game though, like I said before it kind of goes against what Mobafire was created for anyways xp

Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:21pm | Report
This site is a guide site although it has other features. I don't speak on behalf of mobafire but I believe the point is to give every player the opportunity to make a guide and voice their opinion. The point of the vote system is to allow the best guides and information get to the top, unfortunately that doesn't always happen. This site is very democratic, everyone gets 1 vote per guide. Sometimes people don't always vote on the content of the guide but rather the visual appeal, it happens in real life to. Without making it too political, I'm sure there were people who voted for Obama in 2008 because he was black, and there were people who voted for McCain because he was white, did they vote on their policies no, the same is true for this site at times. If you don't like it, you don't have to be here, there are actually other guide sites surprisingly.

But in your own words:

Mooninites: I'm a platinum elo player that writes guides and has been a guide moderator on a couple lesser sites.

to me it sounds like you acknowledge that Mobafire is a top guide site, so I'm kind of curious why you're flaming it so hard
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:29pm | Report

1. remove the percentages from +1/-1'ing a guide. just have upvotes and downvotes. I find, as a newbie looking at the guide, that the percentages next to the guides are confusing.

3. Remove all featured guides from being featured, and bump them down to 'hottest'

4. No more "top 5 guides" too much **** is floating up into the top 5.

5. Make your featured section something that people go to when they want to know, hands down balls out, the best way to play a champion. There can be SLIGHT variation. Rod of ages morgana is fine, but abyssal rush is good, and zhonyas rush is OPTIMAL.

6. Remove voting from these featured guides. There is no point.

I kept the ideas I think are good.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:29pm | Report
I'm being a **** because this is an issue that needs resolving. And a hearty "we're on it" isn't helping. I've frequented these boards a while back under a different name 7 months ago. I brought up the same issue in a friendly manner. 2 posts later, a mod comes in and says "thanks for the concern" aka, **** off.

Now that I'm being an *******, look at all the attention that's being payed to the sector of your website that needs the most improving. I don't doubt that there are some really good guys here, and I see several in this thread already. I'm just EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED when I go smurf in 1000 elo, and see a veigar running clarity teleport mid, and when I ask, he says "stfu ****** i saw it on mobafire" (THIS HAS HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES)

This is a very noob friendly site, which is awesome. The forums are a good tool, and from what I've seen, it kind of is the blind leading the blind, but most of the basic questions are answered, and people get correct information on the forums.

The guides are atrocious. I felt I had to be harsh to convey that point. And also, I'm an *******. Don't care, it's actually served me quite well in life. Is this online personality my real life personality? yes. I have no patience for ignorance and stupidity. Because of this, all of my closest friends are highly educated and well-informed of the world around them. Which is dope. We also play video games.

IceCreamy: In the current state, I don't think I would make a great mod, and it's not because of my attitude. I would do everything in my power to just torch highly rated guides that are completely incorrect. I saw a kassadin guide with wrong masteries, it's the #1 guide, it's like 50 pages long, and it doesn't mention matchups. WTF? that's the most important part of a guide. It's ilke writing a jungling guide, and not explaining how to actually jungle or gank.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:36pm | Report
You may be rude, but I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

Thing is, Mobafire doesn't want to be a site where only people that have a high elo can write guides.

As Ice mentioned before, it's a site with guides for everyone made by everyone, that's what it was created for in the first place, a place for everyone to share ideas and guides. The fact that our top rated guides (or at least a very decent part of them) are **** is because new players vote on them who have no clue whether the Nashor's Tooth they just built on Miss Fortune is actually good or whether it only worked because they were playing against players even worse than them.

When someone says we're working on it, he/she means we're working on a system that improves quality while keeping that idea intact. The Scout system is a first step, but as you can see by the Karma guide you linked (which got featured), it's not good enough.

Bottom line though, I'm not so sure whether this is an issue that "needs resolving" by switching to a system where only high elo players get to write the guides. That's just not what the site's about.

Appreciate your posts though.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:36pm | Report
Yeah I agree with everything you say. The guides here aren't so great, and I use solomid for any of my needs. I'm just here for the community since at solomid it's pretty damn boring, and Caddy is a **** with a big ego even though he's only 1600.
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:45pm | Report
"The only platinum players here (that I know of) are Chandro, Incapacitate, and Khazem."
add throatslasher to that list.

nighthawk: "4. Like this idea, but then how will people search for good guides?"
There will be 101 guides in the featured section. Actually, now that I think about it, there will be more. There will be 2 vlad guides. One for top, one for mid. There will be 1 morgana guide, and that's for mid. There will be 2 lee sin guides: 1 for jungle and 1 for top. See what I'm saying? There's no need to constantly come out with guides, just have 1 for each role a champ can play, and then just update them. So, anyone can go to hottest or newest, but then there's a tab that says: platinum guides, or whatever. This **** is the real deal. And hey, if it works at 2000 elo, it works at 1000 elo. But then, jungle poppy would work at 1000 elo. That's where hottest and newest guides come into play.

"to me it sounds like you acknowledge that Mobafire is a top guide site, so I'm kind of curious why you're flaming it so hard"

actualy mobafire is the butt of every joke in the lol community. Everyone knows these guides are inferior to half a dozen other sites' guides.

"Bottom line though, I'm not so sure whether this is an issue that "needs resolving" by switching to a system where only high elo players get to write the guides. That's just not what the site's about."

I'm not saying that. Just have a separate section where people can go to see guides written by SERIOUS, COMPETITIVE, INTELLIGENT, AND WELL INFORMED PEOPLE, that is MODERATED BY IT'S OWN COMMUNITY FOR ACCURACY AND VALIDITY. You can keep your featured, hottest, and newest. Promote me to guide mod, and make me a tab called: platinum guides, and I'll freaking write you guys 101 SICK guides over the weekend. Anyone I don't know well, I'll get one of my 2200-2400 friends to give me the info.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:52pm | Report
I see.

We've had pros on the site before (long before I joined though), but right now we just don't have a lot of platinum players. A section with guides written by pro players (that actually contain the right information) is very much welcome imo though.
Just need to make sure it's in-depth because if I remember correctly HotshotGG and the other pros that used to be on this site got a lot of criticism for making short guides, lol.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:53pm | Report
"BY noobs, FOR noobs" is not a good motto for guides.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 2:54pm | Report

"The only platinum players here (that I know of) are Chandro, Incapacitate, Khazem, Wintermond, Xaioli, strawhatbro,Dice"

prob forgot 1-2 more

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide