Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Community Decision To Force-Archive Outdated...

Creator: Jebus McAzn July 9, 2011 2:31pm
1 2 3 4 5
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 2:31pm | Report
Sometimes there's a patch to a champion that completely changes the way you would play the champ in question. Gangplank's remake is one such example. But what happens during the two months when the former highest rated guide is stuck there and the author isn't updating?

The current system archives guides whose authors have not updated them for 2 months. This is fine and dandy, and gets rid of outdated items, etc, but still doesn't solve an immediate problem, such as a champion remake.

Occasionally an author will be kind and caring enough to actually revamp their entire guide with the change, and have the guide be current and up-to-date on the champion. But for all purposes, the champion upon which the former guide was based no longer exists - it's like there's a completely new champion in the game, and the guide should be completely new, not start from 90% or wherever it was before the champ revamp.

I suggest that with each new patch, we decide which champions have been affected radically enough to merit a force-archival of all current guides under the champion. We need to be treating champion remakes just like new champion releases - maybe even implement that 4-day testing period that we use for new champions, and have guide authors start from scratch.

How we decide if a champion has been changed enough is much more difficult. Currently I'm thinking we do it via a poll, but this is obviously impossible until we implement a "poll" function. Still, as Create-A-Champion shows, it's easy to just have members comment with their vote.

The other problem is which users will be let in on this poll. Would it be site-wide? Would guests be able to? Signed-up members? Established members? Veterans? An elected community of "build authorities"?

I guess what I made this thread for is to put out the idea and to promote some discussion on it, because we need to be taking a lot more aggressive action when a champion remake comes out, instead of just letting the 2 month system do its thing slowly. Please realize that the time that a champion's page will get the most traffic is right after a huge change or a remake, when people are no longer sure how to play a champion and come to this site for help.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 2:53pm | Report
I really like your idea. However, it would be hard to implement, even though it would solve a huge problem.

Take this build I randomly found trying to find an example -
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/ryze-the-ultimate-rage-8689

It's one of the highest rated Ryze builds, but it's terrible after his rework which was a good while ago now.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 3:06pm | Report
It also has Zhonya's ring. He clearly isn't updating. It really should be taken down.
I'm all for this.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 3:25pm | Report
I agree. Changes that completely change up a character's makeup (Rabadon's changed everyone's life) should immediately archive the guides that aren't updating according to the patch (provided the changes are serious enough).

Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 3:56pm | Report
I only read the title (no tldr :P), and I really like the idea. Should have it so that when the guide receives X amount of votes, moderators are alerted to cross-check if it's a valid vote or not. Could be easily abused if automated.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 5:12pm | Report
I personally think if someone doesn't update their outdated guide you should send a message to the author asking them to update it with a warning that it will be archived if they don't.
Guides with outdated items confuse newer players and have little to no value in game.
It's cool that they wrote the guide, but they should keep it updated if they want it to stay on the list.

As for non-updated guides with up-to-date items, there should be some sort of very minimum upkeep requirement, since very few guides are perfect and need no changes. Something like you have to have updated it within the last 3 patches (or other number), so that they're not having to change it every month or something.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 5:26pm | Report

I personally think if someone doesn't update their outdated guide you should send a message to the author asking them to update it with a warning that it will be archived if they don't.
Guides with outdated items confuse newer players and have little to no value in game.
It's cool that they wrote the guide, but they should keep it updated if they want it to stay on the list.

As for non-updated guides with up-to-date items, there should be some sort of very minimum upkeep requirement, since very few guides are perfect and need no changes. Something like you have to have updated it within the last 3 patches (or other number), so that they're not having to change it every month or something.

This is more or less the current system. I'm saying that we need to be more aggressive about weeding out old guides and making sure that newer ones for a champ revamp are treated as guides for a new champion.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 5:28pm | Report
Ooh ok

And here I thought I was gonna get shouted at for being too mean lol
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 7:55pm | Report
Scrax wrote:

I only read the title (no tldr :P), and I really like the idea. Should have it so that when the guide receives X amount of votes, moderators are alerted to cross-check if it's a valid vote or not. Could be easily abused if automated.

Either you or I are confused...as I have no idea what you are talking about with automated and voting...

do you mean voting for a guide to be archived...?

if so, then yes I think there should actually be some mod heading the poll, not just have it out there...

I have no clue how this would be implemented though...

and how you make it sound, IMMEDIATELY after a major rework all guides of that champion should be voted to get archived...?

You should give authors a week or so to tailor to the rework, then allow voting to start.

And what MAJOR, CHAMPION CHANGING reworks are you talking about exactly...I have yet to see any besides Ryze, or any coming in the near future...(yes maybe globals will be changed but that's what, 1/4 abilities? shouldn't require a full guide rework to tailor to that)

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2011 7:58pm | Report

and how you make it sound, IMMEDIATELY after a major rework all guides of that champion should be voted to get archived...?

You should give authors a week or so to tailor to the rework, then allow voting to start.

And what MAJOR, CHAMPION CHANGING reworks are you talking about exactly...I have yet to see any besides Ryze, or any coming in the near future...(yes maybe globals will be changed but that's what, 1/4 abilities? shouldn't require a full guide rework to tailor to that)

Ryze is one example. Gangplank is another. There are going to be upcoming Pantheon, Kayle, Twisted Fate, and maybe more remakes that MAY cause every existing guide to become obsolete. There may be new items introduce like Rabadon's that are game-changing. Things like these, although not frequent, would be necessary to address as soon as possible. So yes, the moment they announce the new patch, these polls would begin.
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide