Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

??? Item - For Item Sequences

Creator: JunSupport February 20, 2011 10:09pm
1 2
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 10:09pm | Report
A lot of people will often miss or forget crucial bits in guides that justify or dicuss what's going on with the item sequence.

There are many scenarios where it's a situational item.

I was wondering if it'd be desirable to make an item file that would be a simple question mark with the name "A choice item" or "situational item."

During the editing process, the writer would be allowed to link it to one of their guide chapters.
Thus, people who are looking at the guides, can click on this gap in the item sequence and see their options and the guide writer's discussion of the choices.

It would really help expand guides so people could be more versatile with their item-sequences, rather then trying to cut it down to the very core items.

EDIT:
This idea I think would also work with items in general,
especially for the odd builds with keystone items that need explaining.

Instead of looking at the sequence oddly and slowly digging through the description, they could mouse over the item, see a "explanation" button or something, click to it, and find out more.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 2:41am | Report
This would actually be pretty cool. Mouse over the description for the item and see a few short sentences on why you use it. This could probably be extended to runes and masteries as well.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 4:19pm | Report
That could be nice indeed, but it seems like an incredibly hard thing to add. It will probably take ages to add too. I don't think it's realistic to think they can add this.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 5:08pm | Report
@Searz:

Really?
They already have a item-tooltip function.

Although the coding might be a bit big, couldn't seem like it'd be difficult to add a custom tooltip/link function.

The Item-Sequence has no link function. If I try to click on an item, nothing will happen, it won't take me anywhere. :P
That's an area I think where guide-writers should be allowed to link to chapter points, which would extremely smooth out people's perception of when's and why's on item building.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 5:31pm | Report
I think instead of linking it to a chapter, it should open a tooltip with a bunch of different items of your choice in it. So it'd be a tooltip within a tooltip. Then instead of having 6 question marks as a build with 6 different chapters, one for each item, you'd have 6 question marks with a variety of items within each question mark.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 8:05pm | Report
@Trojan995:

That sounds complicated...

The ??? mark would be for points in item builds where there are multiple paths.

Example: There is one Galio build that only has Chalice, Merc's, and GA.
This Galio build stops at 3 items, but the description leads on the 2~3 different scenarios.

It would benefit if the user could put 1~3 of my suggesting ??? markers to show that what item the user needs is dependent on the situation.

My idea is to further allow item-sequences beyond Core Items, because either:
A. Only having Core items makes it too short, and ratings suffer to lazy readers
B. The item-sequence is too structured, and still suffers to lazy readers.

Seems like I'm catering a bit to the lazy readers, but I think it would help guide ratings overall if we could make builds less misunderstood by such individuals.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 2:19am | Report
Another way of solving this would be to add the kind of item sequencer that is used in the champion spotlights. That would both be easier and make it look better imo.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 10:44am | Report
@Searz:

That would probably require an entire new set of coding in the Item-Sequence during the Editing process.
They just need to link in textboxes for manual edited (though I make it sound a little too simple with that statement)
That would also turn the item-squence into a gargantuan branch for scenarios where counter-item picking is everything

One branch this way, another that way, then another one here, oh and branch#1 has a sub-branch there... (Can you see how much of the screen the item sequence is taking yet?)
See what I'm getting at?

I think my idea is simpler. Quick links or tooltips to show/say what needs to be said.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 1:46pm | Report
They will probably both take huge amounts of time to code, but I think the sequencer will be more helpful overall.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 5:56pm | Report
Well one thing we could do is add a new special chapter that allows you to add items right there in the chapter and type up a description for each item (same for runes/abilities/etc...). Then we could use that information to link the items up top directly to that part of the chapter and to show the explanations in the tooltips.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide