Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Voting System

Creator: Apotheosis October 10, 2010 5:06pm
59 posts - page 2 of 6
Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Apotheosis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2010 8:41am | Report
Unfortunately, you're right about the following quote:
Quoted:
I like the idea, but no one wants to be known as the guy that downvoted.

I'm one person, some of my thoughts are going to be looked at differently by others. This is something I'd like to see enforced, but if you all (the community) disagree with it, then so be it. The way I saw it was that if you down-vote, or even just leave a comment, and at least give a good reasoning behind doing so, it'll help the creator out so they'll know how to improve their guide. Hopefully MOBAfire has something better in store for us.

Thanks for your opinion.
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2010 8:50am | Report
Maybe it doesn't need to be required if you upvote, because no one questions a boost in your guide rating. At least there is no need to. But at least for downvotes, i completely agree with you. I would love to see comments for downvotes. Granted, not everyone will be coherent in those comments, but I assume most people will at least pick their words carefully, in case they anger the guide creator. constructive criticism should always be welcomed, regardless of the vote.
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2010 8:50am | Report
To the rest of you:

Let's focus, not misinterpret. The idea was to help us get builds that are unnoticed->noticed. You're not all giving up, but there is always room for improvement. You just have to think, not complain or drop the subject. To DEWO, I'd hope you'd be happy to receive comments, but you receive more than most, you have two builds with the top amount of comments. Others need their chance as well. As we all know, with the amount of "spammage" it does become more and more difficult to help those who have just created builds that are of some use and even more. I'll never complain about my guide because it's noticed and I am constantly helping others (which is the only reason I made it), but again, this post wasn't made for me. I was intentionally hoping to get ideas as well from some of the newer users. We all know they want their chance to be recognized. This will help all of us too when we want to play other champions that they've made guides for. To MOBAfire, no complaints whatsoever, you just have some debaters at hand :D

Quoted:
Its not a race.

No one said it was a race, I don't even know how to respond to that. It's about recognizing those who need to be recognized, not bumping up the already best builds or whatever you meant by that.
Quoted:
Well as someone above said, if you force people to leave comments they can leave meaningless comments.

That person was me given with a possible solution.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2010 10:53pm | Report
The idea of comment while voting is quite old, we even got the idea of hiding ppl personality on comments connected with downvotes, to encourage ppl point out the mistakes so ppl would not be afraid of downvoting the guides. All this would eventualy go to the state we didnt want to have again, a "race" who has more votes.
Before the % votes we had only +1/-1 system that was superiorly discouraging ppl from making new guides. Why? coz they didnt see any option to be close with the rating to the top builds.

ATM MOBAFire is probably doing biggest job on the issue:
Quoted:
to help us get builds that are unnoticed->noticed.

Just look at the rating system, beeing % based, Medals, Veteran recomendation, main site showing the top rated NEW guides (<30days). I cant speak for admins and they prios but i think this is the main issue they are fighting with.

An addition to normal comments could be a suggestion box that would be sent or visible only to the creator. That is an idea also, but i feel that the voting system is ok, encouraging and highlighting new guides is on the way even now. For me the biggest not touched topis is still spammage.

Yea i have my guides, but as you see if you write a good guide it will get noticed! Like your's. You are quite new here and still YOU have the top rated build on the whole website.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 1:10am | Report
DEWO, I think it's because his guide was being downvoted for being the best that he made this thread in the first place. I know there are trolls out there who vote guides down just because they can even if the guide is the holy grail and written by Riot themselves.

Personally I believe that if you write a good build, people will rate it high in the long run and those small downvoting trolls won't make a difference.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 9:18am | Report
Case in point is Apotheosis Tryn guide. Trolls can't do **** against it.

Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 11:20am | Report
@ sixsonatas:

I think that DEWO would agree with me if I said we already get enough publicity. So neither one of us should be worried about that. As far as your second statement goes, I've already mentioned that as well.

@DEWO:

Everything is mashed into a bunch of replies from what you commented earlier:
Your first idea would be nice if everyone truly intended to leave a good/decent comment for downvoting. That won't happen unfortunately, even if their name was hidden. Again, I'm sorry, but you'll have to let me know what you mean when you say "a race who has more votes." I believe you're using that term for those who created guides before others and have a better chance of staying on top because of the number of votes they had. The new system is a bit better than the older system for those who are newer and have great minds. This I won't disagree with and I'm thrilled we've gotten this far with the rating system. Again, I have no doubt MOBAfire is doing their best to create and even more improved voting system. However, I do wish they'd keep us updated with their ideas on how they plan to improve it. I could adjust my ideas to what they've already thought up. Some of the improvements are completely insane ideas to help others get noticed. I used a recommend guide the other day that I would've otherwise questioned, and it works great. And lastly,
Quoted:

An addition to normal comments could be a suggestion box that would be sent or visible only to the creator. That is an idea also, but i feel that the voting system is ok, encouraging and highlighting new guides is on the way even now. For me the biggest not touched topis is still spammage.
I'd personally prefer that this wasn't made possible. I would kind of like to see some of the comments these downvoters had to say so that possibly even I could learn from them. For some of these champions, I might know no better than the guide creator. We'd be in the same boat. I'll agree that spammage is bit out of control, but for the most part, I guess that's what the find by "score" option is for.
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 12:32pm | Report
TBH, I know trolls hit your guide every now and then, but every one knows who Apotheosis and DEWO are, so it doesnt affect you. Everyone knows you have great guides already. Us little people however need to find recognition. No one knows who SixSonatas is, or who Restrictnine is. A few trolls on our guides can ruin us.

Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 1:35pm | Report
You guys are like Justin Beiber and I'm Sean Kingston. I'll help you get recognized if you give me some effort in this topic :D
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 1:47pm | Report
I think that MOBA should make it so that voting is not allow till X weeks into membership, and X posts are posted. That way, The only people that can vote are people that are involved in the MOBA community. Obviously this could create some problems, but it's a start. People that are completely new to MOBA should figure out how it works before jumping in and downvoting everything that isnt their build.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide