Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Voting System

Creator: Apotheosis October 10, 2010 5:06pm
59 posts - page 3 of 6
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 3:05pm | Report
Apotheosis, giving us recognition would be very generous of you.

I'm all for the X weeks and X posts thing, but that can be abuse that MOBA doesn't want to deal with. If that were the case, I can see a lot of people making multiple accounts, aging on them, and spamming posts on them. This means using bandwidth that doesn't need to be used because people WILL do this.

In my opinion, we should discuss this with the administrators. I know vets can do that on a special forum, and if any vets are willing to help this cause, it would be highly appreciated.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Apotheosis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 8:44pm | Report
@ SixSonatas:

Quoted:
Hopefully this isn't revealing too much of what's been planned.

I'm not really sure why new information couldn't be revealed to us, but I think they want to keep this new voting system as a surprise until they release it. I'm sure there's more work to be done on it, but we need to hear/discuss as well imo. It's something that needs to be moved into an updated forum thread so that we have a heads up, or can give ideas for this new system. Maybe I'm just missing the whole point as to why it can't be revealed to us yet. Sure it's talked about by the vets and admins, and this helps eliminate a bunch of random comments by others, but still a heads up if possible. That way we could discuss our ideas as well.

Btw, keep the negative comments out of this thread if you could.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 9:01pm | Report
It's not exactly a complete reface of the current voting system, it's more like ways to improve it. The system balances out votes, etc fine enough but the thing that's gettin' everyone's hopes down is just the spam votes/trolls. Now, if there was some sort of filter that'd remove vote ups and vote downs if they're spammed or builds that are spammed, that's awesome but thing is, there's so much work that'd need to be put into something on that large of a scale to be convenient.

Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2010 9:06pm | Report
Well we know there are flaws with the voting system, but i mean. its pretty much your basic voting system. what i AM glad about however is the rating system. very nice. but i mean, how does voting work right now? can you just vote as soon as you become a member?
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 1:29am | Report
@ Apotheosis

By race i ment the old system. Which favored ppl that created build long time ago and gathered plenty of +1's. It was simple a race who had more attension to the guides and ppl doing votes.

No matter what you do Apo you will get trolled. And trolls dont provide any feedback whatsoever.
So no matter if they will be Blank or recognized by comments, they will downvote and wont give a **** about it. This is a dead end.

I dont think atm Admins think about changing the voting system, coz simply it works. Trolling will never stop and this should be something we should ignore. There were like 19792 diferent ideas and tbh all of em had flaws, just post any idea you think about. Dont hesistate to do so even if it was thought about earlier, maybe you would throw a new light on idea that was mentioned already.
Quoted:
I'd personally prefer that this wasn't made possible. I would kind of like to see some of the comments these downvoters had to say so that possibly even I could learn from them.

Well this was one of the ideas to get this feedback you want. And on the 2nd part of that sentece, you will get abolutly NOTHING from them coz they downvote only becouse they can. You want to get comments like "I downvoted this guide coz i can and i had a bad day" ? this brings absolutly nothing. And you are asking for those ppl comments. TBH i dont see the point. In perfect world... all of the guides would get only + votes. Why? Coz you can own with AD/AS Zilean or Tanking Anivia, build is 20% of succes, rest is personal skill. So EVERY build works.

@ Restrictnine

Recognision is an important thing that is why we (Veterans by suggestions and Admins with implementation) are working on it. Its hard to find good stuff in this ocean of spam. Medals, Recomendations are things that roam this site atm. While medals idea is kinda left out atm (no idea what are the plans for this atm). I will fight for some spammage reduction since i am most annoyed by this.

Quoted:
You guys are like Justin Beiber and I'm Sean Kingston. I'll help you get recognized if you give me some effort in this topic :D

I'm offended :P hehe :P And how you want to make ppl recognized exactly?

Quoted:
I think that MOBA should make it so that voting is not allow till X weeks into membership, and X posts are posted. That way, The only people that can vote are people that are involved in the MOBA community. Obviously this could create some problems, but it's a start. People that are completely new to MOBA should figure out how it works before jumping in and downvoting everything that isnt their build

I think that Admins from MOBAFire have a bit diferent thouths about this. They want as much rating and commenting as possible. Making this a limited thing would be ok if the site would be more like LC is, a community site not a build/guide site. This site is all about builds, and even i got plenty of comments on my guides with sentences like "I only made an account to +1 your guide" And MOBAFire staff thinks about those ppl as well. More ppl with full privileges = bigger community. And that leads us to more and better guides, recognision on the web, or even the $$$ stuff. More ppl visiting the site = more cash = better site.
On the troll issue here you mention, ppl that come here and downvote everything. This affects mostly the top builds anyway.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 8:08am | Report
Recently came up with an idea, which still has the issue of spamming new accounts, but it might be helpful.

If you see a troll, for example on Alahric's Frostfire Annie build:
TBasil13 wrote:

I never thought I'd reach the day where I gave a build a thumbs down... I haven't voted YET, but I am seriously considering it (Although I doubt you even give a ****...) But I tried your build and I have yet to win a single match in LoL with it. I've done better with the Mordekaiser Recommended Mordekaiser Build (Not your Mordekaiser build) AND I HATE PLAYING AS MORDEKAISER >_<. I absolutely loved Annie from the videos I've watched and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong as I've done everything instructed in this guide, yet I can't even get a win. Please reply within 72 hours or I will vote thumbs down for this build that, as of right now, I find to be ****py.

Personally, i think its one of the best guides out there. this person is hardcore trolling. If MOBA added a feature that allowed us to vote on posts, kind of like youtube does, and if a post gets enough downvotes, that person's vote on the guide is discounted. Obviously this person's opinion isn't reasonable, as the skill of the player has nothing to do with the guide.

Apotheosis
<Veteran>
Apotheosis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 3:43pm | Report
There's no reason you should be offended DEWO, you have to understand that one vet can't do it all. That's why you have other helpers. From now on, everyone uses this thread if they have an idea. No offense, but I don't want to read about what's current or that a given method won't work without an explaination and, if possible, an alternative. We all got on the wrong track with this thread.

Again, as always, I will continue to come up with ideas on this topic.
Oberron
<Member>
Oberron's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2010 10:16pm | Report
Ok, I'm starting to feel like an ***, this being the third time I'm going to post this, but there seem to be 3 different threads for the same thing.

You could actually give a set amount of votes per day/week/month to each user, flag users who constantly rate one way or the other, and/or flag users who submit a lot of votes in a short period of time for moderator review. I know this would mean more work for moderators, but at least it'll slow the trolls some.
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2010 10:03am | Report
The only thing is that it would require a post to follow a vote, and often times people don't feel like typing. So this person's vote may be legit, but a lack of writing immediately discounts his vote? that could lead to less voting. i still like the voting on posts idea. the most negative posts are the ones that get no vote on the guide.

Gandalfzer
<Member>
Gandalfzer's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2010 9:06pm | Report
Just started a mundo guide and already got a random downvote,

I was guessing a way to counter the down voters was that if you want to minus one you have to comment

and if this comment lets say 342352525dfgsgsg or something the build maker could report this user comment the admins of the website could ban this person all there builds and reverse the -1 just a idea

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide