Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why are the guide voting bars so inaccurate?

Creator: Lasoor April 6, 2017 5:56am
1 2 3
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2017 5:56am | Report
A guide could have 1 up vote for it and the bar won't even be full green. They used to be more accurate, what happened?
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2017 8:21am | Report
They're still as accurate as before, they're just no longer showing what you think they are ;)

Before, the guide voting bar in a guide would display a flat score, meaning 1 upvote and 0 downvotes would equal a score of 100% and therefore a fully green bar. Now, this bar displays the Bayesian average, similar to the bar used in the guide listings (where 1 upvote and 0 downvotes is equivalent to a score of ~56%).

The reason this was changed is twofold: One, we are working on making these displays consistent across the site (and to be clear, we're not done!). Two, the raffle points for 'Good Guide Scores' & 'Great Guide Scores' are based on the Bayesian score, and so leaving a flat score display in a guide (or its tooltip) would be cause for confusion.

Hopefully that clears things up, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2017 9:41am | Report
I get what you're going for, but personally I think it is far more helpful to the readers if you do it based on a flat score. Reason being, the bar is meant as a quick way to see how well received the guide is. If everyone who has voted on the guide voted in favor of it then the reader would expect a filled green bar. I mean that's like a standard way of doing it for rating systems across most websites.

Anyway thanks for clarifying.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2017 1:48pm | Report
The point is that a guide with a single upvote doesn't mean the guide is better received than a guide with 90 upvotes and 10 downvotes. The new system probably indirectly takes in account amount of votes on top of % of upvotes, which is a better way to measure how well received a guide is than flat out % of upvotes.
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 6, 2017 8:18pm | Report
Yes, I already realized the purpose of it. I simply disagree with it. Putting the bar at half way when you have no downvotes is misleading because just about every other website does it differently.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2017 2:43am | Report
Just to clarify, there is no "new system". The only difference between now and roughly 1 month ago is that the display shown in the guide itself used to show a flat score whereas now it shows the same score as it does in the guide listings (using Lee Sin as an example). This score (using the Bayesian average) is and always has been used to rank the guides.

(sidenote: just noticed the page I linked shows a "S6" tag for Season 7 guides & builds, will ask the devs to sort that out)

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2017 4:15am | Report
It doesn't show a score in the guide listings anymore, just that green bar. Actually there's no way to see what score your guide has, in actual numbers, really anywhere now (which is really annoying).
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2017 4:55am | Report
The guide listings score display wasn't changed as far as I know, I don't think there was a score (outside of the bar) showing there before. If you're referring to the score in the tooltip when mousing over a guide name, then yes, that was removed because it was also a flat score; as said, our first step in updating the score displays was to make sure they were consistent.

I haven't personally been involved in the development of updating the score displays, but I'll make sure to discuss possibilities regarding showing a flat score / clear upvote-downvote ratio for authors somewhere (without adding confusion in terms of raffle entries etc.), thanks for the feedback.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2017 5:27am | Report
The Season 6 tag thing was something I was going to contact an admin about lol
Noticed yesterday before work. It's on multiple guide listings.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2017 1:47pm | Report
To be fair, showing that a 1 upvote guide has "more score" than a 90/10 vote one is more misleading. Other pages using that setup isn't a very compelling argument tbh, I'd rather do it right and different than wrong like everyone else.

The one thing I do find misleading is the fact that it's still shown as a percentage. I would probably dispose of the "limit" to the right, so it's only a growing stick to compare with others*. Having a pretty clear indicator that there is a "top" score (the bar has limited space within it) is probably what would make most people seeing they have 2-3 upvotes and no downvotes feeling it's not representative of their guide's score.

*probably not the best solution, but you get the idea
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide