Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Expanding my range of characters

Creator: Buranri June 2, 2012 8:23pm
1 2
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 8:23pm | Report
So I currently have a pretty small group of characters I can play...

The ones I'm most comfortable with are Ziggs, Taric, Fiora, and Udyr (jungle). I can also play Riven (jungle) and Fizz (mid), but slightly less proficiently.

I'm looking for which characters I should learn that are completely different from what I have now. Different roles, different play styles, whatever. I tend to enjoy characters that have a built in stun or slow the most, but it's not 100% necessary. Any ideas?
Deluth
<Member>
Deluth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2012 8:41pm | Report
Well, it seems like the only role you are completely lacking in is AD Carry. I would suggest Ashe if you want the slow/stun, otherwise Corki and Graves are easy to pick up and very strong.

For jungle, Dr. Mundo and Lee Sin are dominant junglers who pack slows, excellent clear times, and decent ganks.

For top lane, you can try an aggressive, damaging top laner like Riven or Jax, a Tanky AP like Kennen or Vladimir, or a classical bruiser like Renekton, Irelia, or my personal favorite, Nasus.

For support, Alistar is like Taric's up-in-your-face-with-cc playstyle.

For mid, there are a lot of choices, and each has its distinct pros/cons. Galio essentially counters all APs and has a strong teamfighting ultimate. Ryze is a tanky single-target sustained damage mage. Cassiopeia has unrivaled single-target damage and a powerful teamfighting ultimate. Karthus is a suicide bomber-type champ who gets dumped on in lane but is one of the strongest AoE teamfighters. Ahri is an assassin with powerful mobility and 1v1 capabilities.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 3, 2012 3:18pm | Report
Like Deluth says, AD carrying is a good thing for you to learn. People often say "lol, carries only right click and win", but to get there you need to know A LOT of what you're doing (how to farm, how strong are you, POSITIONING). Ashe is a usual starters, Varus isn't also so hard (and since you do AP, you may be familiar with that kind of harassability)

Nocturne is an amazing jungler that, from level 6, can gank from anywhere.

Support, you can try a less killing lane (not sure if you'll like it) with Soraka or try out Janna

Both your mids have different approaches, you could try DoT mages like Brand, Swain or Cassiopeia, or Lux and Xerath if you feel like abusing a longer range. Karthus is also unique.

You can try many a champ, really :P
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 4, 2012 1:59pm | Report
Or you could use the method of my friend that literally just started playing. He decides on a champion by the way they look first. He will try them and make a final decision. So far he has come across Nasus, Nocturne, Warwick, and Cho'Gath. All are rather sufficient choices.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 4, 2012 2:10pm | Report
just play someone ******ed strong like jax, or cassiopeia all day, and you'll be fine :3
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 4, 2012 8:00pm | Report
Cassiopeia is ******ed strong now? Lol, I guess that's why they like suiciding in lane, playing like they insta own the place :')
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 10:36am | Report
Mordekaiser is completely ******ed strong in mid or top, altho you have to be careful because he has no escape or CC. However he is one of the best farmers in the game, and will out build damn near anyone because of this. His ult is game-changing, and can quickly turn a 5v5 into a 4v6. I've got a build that simply massacres people in solo lanes, and is deceptively powerful in teamfights, PM me if you want to know the specifics. Also one of the TT God-tier champs.

Maokai can do literally ANYTHING except ad carry, and do it damn well. His toolkit is amazing, with 2 forms of hard CC and an AOE damage reducer that makes him one HELL of a good duelist, and an invaluable asset to any team fight. His Sapling Toss is just STUPID long range and deals unbelievable amounts of damage early game, IF you can master the mechanics. His bounce stops all channeled spells, including lotus, Requiem, and Absolute Zero. and not even Playful / Trickster can break his lock once Twisted Advance is cast on Fizz.

Ryze is a monster that makes monsters afraid of the dark. The horrors a fed Ryze can unleash on an enemy team have no word strong enough to describe them. Probably the easiest champ to build in mid since getting mana also gives him damage. One form of hard CC and an ability to wipe out entire teams nearly by himself with his ult, and just an insane single target nuke besides.

Lee Sin is arguably the best top in the game ATM, and is vying for best jungle with Dr. Mundo. HOWEVER- he has an EXTREMELY high skill cap to become the crazy monster you see in tourneys. This is because he essentially has 7 abilities.

Veigar is, imo, one of the most powerful nukers in the game, ESPECIALLY against other AP carrys (with the exception of Ryze). I have seen Veigar's one-shot AP carrys with his ult. His combo is difficult to pull off (since it includes 5 button presses, one for each of his spells in a VERY specific order, and the active on Deathfire Grasp), but it will kill damn near anyone outside of, say, a Volibear or Dr. Mundo with three warmogs >.<. Plus, he is just plain hilarious to listen to, and has some of THE BEST skins XD. The only other person that has the same kind of nuking power is LeBlanc, but she falls off pretty hard late game, while Event Horizon keeps veigar useful all game long, and his Primordial Burst NEVER stops getting exponentially more powerful.

Katarina is a useful anti-mid midder. her Shunpo makes her dangerous, especially if her jungler has a good stun, or even better if its someone like Skarner that can stun you AND move you around at the same time. Really quite an efficient combo, one that i have been on the wrong end of in the past >.<

Vladimir is just... He's freakin Alucard, the man simply WILL NOT DIE. At least if you build him right. He uses health as his ability cash and his abilities give him health, soooo he pretty much has infinite sustain with a little AP. Late game he gets sooo crazy. Best played as a solo top with a powerful AOE ap in mid (a-hem... Ryze or Karthus, perhaps?) since his ult basically gives everyone on the enemy team AIDS and kills all their resistances. The only way to really beat a Vladimir is to pressure him HARD early game to slow his farm to the point where you can overtake his self heal with your damage. If you let him farm, the consequences are dire. Sanguine Pool is one of those abilities that makes you damn near break your keyboard in a blind rage when you lane against him.

Kennen is an irritating little **** in lane if you don't pay attention to where your creeps are. Doesnt have a RELIABLE stun, but it is there. and his ult late game just does ridiculously stupid amounts of damage, and has the potential to stun entire teams. really funny if combined with Cataclysm.

Nautilus is becoming more and more popular in the jungle, and its fairly easy to see why. VERY sturdy, decent damage, and DEAR GOD THE CC. SOOOOO MUCH CC. A good naut will rarely ever fail a gank when he devotes to it. Tower divin' like a baws at lvl 6 for god's sake, its STUPID.

One last champ i should mention. Yorick is, to put it the way one of my mentee's described him after playing against him for the first time, "rather obnoxious". Actually, he is incredibly obnoxious. Insane sustain in lane, good damage, a TRULY unique playing style, and a pretty damn good duelist. Manamune was hand crafted for this guy. I've heard it said (and personally found it to be true) that you do not "win" a lane against Yorick... you "survive" it. He is nearly unharassable because he will simply take the shot, then hit you with Omen of Famine and regen it back, and send a ghoul after you besides, AFTER it deals initial explosion damage. Ganks arent all that great against him either, because if he has a ward up, he will hit a creep with Omen of War and speed back to his turret. And even if you DO manage to catch up to him, again, Omen of Famine will give him health, and KEEP giving him health, because the little bastard chasing you will spellvamp every time it hits you. And they auto-target enemy champs, too, so there is no fumbling with alt-click to make them stop targeting creeps. His ult is just crazy powerful, it instantly creates a copy of a friendly champ (at max health) that he can control, and if the champ dies, THAT player gains control of the ghost, with all abilities available. Can act as a shaco style clone for confusion dueling, if you do it right, (except that it doesn't lose health as fast as a shaco clone), a revamped revive, just so many possibilities.

One last thing, CONGRATULATIONS for realizing that you want to master AS MANY PLAYSTYLES as possible! I see so many champs that say "im good with 'X' champ, what other champs are like him/her?" and it makes me shake my head in sadness every time. But you, sir, are smart enough to realize that mastering as many playstyles as possible makes you a MUCH better player. My hats off to you.

Hope this Helps XD
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 6:15pm | Report
Overmyynd: Yorick is a solo top, right? That sounds like fun to play.

I have Nautilus, so I'll probably work more on jungling with him. I suppose I should learn an AD carry eventually, but so many people play that role already that jungling or solo top is more fun. Or mid, for that matter.
jinlee
<Member>
jinlee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 8:10pm | Report
if you go to the lol facebook page and like it you get a free tristanna and if you subscribe to the yooutube chanel then you get alistar

all credit for this amazing sig goes to the nameless bard

if you thought what i said was worth it a rep would be rainbow pony awesome
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 6, 2012 8:47am | Report
Yeah, yorick is a solo top. a damn good one too. He would make a very nice addition to your champ pool. If you want to invest more in solo top, other champs to get besides Yorick would be:

Lee Sin
Gangplank (or "crit plank" as he is affectionately known on moba)
Olaf
Maokai (my personal main)
Vladimir
Irelia
Kennen
Nasus

If you have all these champs, you can counter damn near anyone who wants to go solo top against you.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide