Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Rune choice

Creator: FlucKi April 11, 2011 10:26am
22 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
FlucKi
<Member>
FlucKi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 10:26am | Report
Hi LoL community,
I'm not new to lol but I need help on Runes (hope this is the right section).
So currently I am lvl 30 and played over 1000 normal games, I only use IP to buy both champions and runes. That being said I currently have 30+ champs [all different role types(i can play all roles)] and have only a few sets of runes.

These runes include:
QUIN health (halloween ones)
BLUE & YELLOW mana regen/lvl
YELLOW armour
RED attack damage
RED armour pen

I am currently thinking of what runes are useful for jungling, ap carry, ad carry, etc etc... I was thinking to buy a RED set of magic pen but its only 10 magic pen and not to certain.

Also any suggestions on universal runes (eg. mana regen, since alot of classes can use) that are useful to buy.

Also I have trouble with IP since i like to buy new champs n such, so nothing crazy expensive like cooldown reduction BLUES >_<

Well I hope you guys can help :P

Thanks in advanced

~FlucKi.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 1:20am | Report
You can still get:
RED
Attack Speed - Jungling heaven
Mpen - most usefull red runes for ANY caster tbh.

Yellow
Dodge for some carries that use 21/9/0 mastery setups or tanks based on physical resistance.
AP per lvl - for high AP ratio (above 80%) champions

Blue
Magic resist - for tanks
Cooldown reduction - overall good runes.

Quits:
Armor penetration - for carries
AP or AP-per lvl - again for 80% AP ratio champs

Also you might think about CrC runebook for GP or trynde but i think that there are better choices.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 8:44am | Report
What DEWO said, but also red armor pen > red ad for most ad carries.

Though for yellow I would prefer getting Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration or the flat mp5 runes over AP for casters or range carries (they sit in the back so dodge won't be too helpful)

You might want to read this rune guide: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/rune-tips-what-secondary-and-primary-means-and-more-24255
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:17pm | Report
DEWO did a great job of summing up the best runes.

Movement speed quintessences are useful on some tanks and even some other non-tank characters.

Flat ability power or scaling ability power Glyphs are strong as well.
FlucKi
<Member>
FlucKi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 2:47am | Report
thanks DEWO was very good insight of info ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞

i think i will pick up some Mpen reds and Apen quin, gonna be costly (´・ω・`)

thanks all!
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 3:09am | Report
No problemo.
As for MS on tanks.. i would prefer going for Flat HP at start as a tank since you dont have much Armor/Mres and most of those guys have a head start with ArP and Mpen. HP is best defense for early game, MS is nice but it will be useless if their carry takes boots... And i often do that.
Still a choice tho.

Flat AP are quite weak. I like to have flat AP quits tho. As for yellow/blue i would always go for ap/lvl since casters usualy utilize their AP on lvl 6 mostly and yellow and blues AP/lvl are already better than flatAP on lvl 6.

@ FlucKi
Glad i could be at any assistance :)
Mpen is something you HAVE to have on nearly all casters.
ArP quits are nice for those heavy physical carries.

@ Mowen
"red armor pen > red ad for most ad carries."
Is there any physical carry that benefits more from AD than ArP at all? Not beeing mean here or nothing just curious who you had in mind.

Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 8:32am | Report
If you don't mind me jumping in, I find ArP reds more beneficial since there are only 3 ArP items in the game atm. Youmuu's, BC and LW. Most of the time, every AD champ will find a use for at least one of those, but it still will not provide enough Armor Penetration to do optimal damage. ^_^

Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 4:22pm | Report
@DEWO The only thing I've noticed lately is some carries that have been buffed and have strong early game taking flat AD runes to dominate the lane... and ok right now I can only think of Caitlyn. :P
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 2:55am | Report
Xaioli wrote:

If you don't mind me jumping in, I find ArP reds more beneficial since there are only 3 ArP items in the game atm. Youmuu's, BC and LW. Most of the time, every AD champ will find a use for at least one of those, but it still will not provide enough Armor Penetration to do optimal damage. ^_^

3?
1. LW
2. 3. Brut -> Yoyo (you can have yoyo and still buy another brut and it will work!
4. TBC
5. Stark?
6. SotD?

Mowen wrote:

@DEWO The only thing I've noticed lately is some carries that have been buffed and have strong early game taking flat AD runes to dominate the lane... and ok right now I can only think of Caitlyn. :P

Flat AD reds 9x will give you: 9x0.95=8.55AD
For cait Q that will be 8.55+30%=11.115 damage + 20 from skill = 31.115 damage
For basic damage it will be (on lvl 1) - 50+8.55 =58.55 damage
For basic damage headshot - 58.55+50%=87.825 damage
if we count that ppl have about 20 Armor at that point, that is about 16.7% reduction we will have
8.55-16.7% = 7.12 damage

Q 31.115-16.7% = 25.92 damage
B 58.55-16.7% = 48.77 damage
B+ 87.825-16.7% = 73.16 damage
Total for those 3 is 147.85

That vs.
9x 1.66ArP = 14.94 ArP

Q - 20 damage
B - 50 damage
B+ - 75 damage
with 20 Armor - 14.94 = 5.06 armor = 4.82%
Q 20-4.82% = 19.036
B 50-4.82% = 47.59
B+ 75-4.82% = 71.385
Total = 138.011

So you are right about the AD win on ArP but... this is at first calculations for lvl 1.
Dont have the strenght to do it for lvl 18 and various armored ppl.
Also this is not true on your standard basic attack. ArP will give better results on lvl 1 basic attacks than flat AD. And with cait you mainly harras with basic and sometimes Q but that makes you quite mana thirsty. You cant always count on your basic+ attack since ppl will avoid it like a fire when they see "headshot ready" on you. so you will end up using it on lasthitting a creep.

Also her Q has 130% AD ratio which is quite unusual. But again, good point with Cait, if you are spammer early game and you harras mainly with Q flat AD could be good, but for later game... i would stick with ArP anyway :)

Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 4:52am | Report
@Dewo - I forgot sotd, my bad. I don't consider starks as arp since you have to be up in their faces. When I noted youmuu's, i thought the brutilizer was obv still on the list >_>

1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide